Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #15
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
11k miles here and no catch can - no noticeable decrease in power.
Need4Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:16 PM   #16
ht600

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
I wonder if anyone has tried using a endoscope down the intake manifold to look at the intake valves?

I have one and I'm thinking of trying to take a look at the valves.
ht600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #17
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
BG 44K every 3K or so. Put it my GDI daily driver. Huge difference
Old 09-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #18
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ht600 View Post
I wonder if anyone has tried using a endoscope down the intake manifold to look at the intake valves?

I have one and I'm thinking of trying to take a look at the valves.

Please do a video.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:14 AM   #19
70chevelleSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1970 chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
Please do a video.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #20
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The most accurate way to examine your valves is to remove the intake manifold. Takes 15 minutes max and is very easy. No gaskets to replace as all are reusable. Look directly into them to see and take pictures and share the miles on your car and the coking.

Any in tank additive cannot help this in any way as no fuel touches the back sides of the intake valves. And only an actual dyno done before and after a manual cleaning can document accurately the power lost and regained after a manual cleaning.

The example given is a 2017 Corvette with the same engine. 85-95% of all coking comes form the "foul/dirty" side ingestion. The cleanside which GM now includes does address the minor path of ingestion quite well. That's why we do NOT specify the need for our cleanside unit with these applications.

Another issue not mentioned often is the wear to the valve guides. As these hard abrasive deposits form on the stem, they are drawn up into the guide with every cycle causing premature wear there as well.

We work very close on all GDI engines as far as research, and the LT1 V8 (and that includes the 5.3 in the trucks). What GM did do in addition to the plastic factory CSS, they did the most effective valve cover design to date by adding coalescing chambers (towers) as well as sealing around the oil fill channel and more:

But, there is little that can be done on the foul/dirty side where 85% plus of all the ingestion occurs. On the LGX V6, GM deleted the "Positive" function of the PCV system (the LT V8 still retains it) in an attempt to slow the rate of coking. The problem is this now leaves most all of the damage and wear causing combustion by-products in the crankcase greatly accelerating wear.

Now, back to the V8. All the efforts are on the fresh/cleanside, and as it is only a small portion of the cause, there has not been much of an improvement. The factory will never add an effective solution to the foul side as it will require the end user to empty it every oil change or sooner, and 99% plus of consumers would not accept this as they don't even open the hood now days. And if they go further with internal separation, this will also substantially increase wear as the water, acids, fuel, and abrasive soot/carbon/ash will also be retained.

We would love to see a 70k or above mileage LT engine to examine, but to date we have not been able to get any in to the R&D facility.

And keep in mind, until GDI, none of this was an issue after port fuel injection was adopted, and the automakers were forced to adopt this, it was NOT by choice.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #21
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
I think its also matter how you drive your car daily, no? Like Long or short commute?
Old 09-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #22
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
A member posted internal pics of a L86 truck(same as the LT1 just different intake manifold) engine at 120k miles and the valves looked decent.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #23
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
i'd put some salt grains on anything someone says has shown to greatly increase wear on an engine that has only existed for the last 2-3 years (at least with the lgx) with little more than anecdotal evidence in engines not of the kind they're actually referring to.

The picture will clear up in a couple years when the avg age of these engines is around 5 years and there's a good sample size in the "high mileage" range and we dont have just extreme examples to base facts on.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #24
jrob56

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ 4wd 5.3
I was really worried about this at the start of having my 2014 Silverado and had an Elite can on it. Im at 70k miles on my 5.3 and no issues. It had a can on it from 40k miles to 68k or so. I had to take it off for a dealer trip for radiator and havent put it back on. Hate trying to remember to empty it, and with just having a kid I know Im going to forget haha.

Another reason is my Father-in law, has a 2016 Yukon same 5.3 and runs same as mine at 100k miles and no issues. Starts right up, never noticed any hesitation or misfires. Doesnt seem to be down on power at all. Never had a catch can on it.

My wife's 2013 Equinox 4 banger, cant run a can on it due to dirty side not being external. Same story 96k miles and no issues. Runs better with the new plugs I just put in but thing always starts right up and no issues. It is slower than molasses, but been that way since day one.

Think its overblown, cant hurt anything really to run a can, but I take dynos like Elite posted with a grain of salt. Never seen an independent dyno or test to show its needed. Always comes from a source with a vested interest in selling cans.

Sold:
95 Taurus SE
00 Z28 A4
06 TBSS
06 GTO M6
02 F150
01 B4C A4
05 GTO M6
02 Z28 M6
jrob56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #25
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
i'd put some salt grains on anything someone says has shown to greatly increase wear on an engine that has only existed for the last 2-3 years (at least with the lgx) with little more than anecdotal evidence in engines not of the kind they're actually referring to.

The picture will clear up in a couple years when the avg age of these engines is around 5 years and there's a good sample size in the "high mileage" range and we dont have just extreme examples to base facts on.
Have to agree. There's simply not enough of these engines with high enough mileage to get a clear picture.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #26
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
My Mazdapeed 3 DI engine has over 160k miles. Still running strong. I'm sure there is some build up but can't tell. Butt dyno says the power is still there. Car idles the same as always.
Oh it's there, Those engines were notoriously bad for buildup. I had the top end apart on my Mazdaspeed6 around 60-70k to clean the valves, it was horrid.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:45 PM   #27
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
the problem is real but i think forum paranoia reigns supreme because we are enthusists....for a normal DD you'll have no problem in 100k miles.....
Yeah and the loss of HP is gradual so most of you that think there is no change is because you are just used to it.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:50 PM   #28
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
Oh it's there, Those engines were notoriously bad for buildup. I had the top end apart on my Mazdaspeed6 around 60-70k to clean the valves, it was horrid.
If ain't broke, I don't fix it. I can jump in my ms3 right now and happily drive 150+ miles to Orlando without thinking twice. Except for a defective timing chain tensioner, and poorly designed engine mounts that needed to be swapped, I never had to touch the engine, clutch, tranny or the turbo.

The doom and gloom predictions in the Mazdaspeed forums at the time (around '07) were comical. Supposedly, the engine, clutch and turbo weren't going to last. The coke build-up in the engine was going to be so bad, early failure was eminent. I remember guys running seafoam through their brand new engines out of fear.

The turbo was going to overheat and suffer bearing failure, the clutch was poorly designed and would wear out easily. The tranny's 3rd gear was defective and wouldn't last past the warranty...blah, blah, blah.

All I did was stick to the basics - kept on top of the recommended maintenance routines and learned to drive a stick shift the proper way, not like in the Fast and Furious.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote