Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-17-2018, 12:59 AM   #1
zerovisual

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Purchasing a 2016 2SS (questions/warranty?)

So I have put a deposit down on a 2016 Chevy 2SS 6 Speed with 8k miles. The dealer is hitting me up hard about an extended warranty. I was not planning on it but I cannot decide now. I am concerned about the internal electrical. So the car is covered for another 9 months by basic (which is what I think electrical falls under). After that, say in a year, if the dash out goes am I just out of luck. I mean the car would not be even drivable without that. I understand the radio and nav might not be covered, but are major components like the speedometer covered under more than just 3 years 36,000 miles?

The dealer is saying they can give me a 6 year 100k for warranty for 2200. They started at 2600 of course. So my question is do you think it is worth it to pay 2200 to cover the electrical or should I just put the money aside.

I have read stories on here of people taking there new cars in over and over again for electrical issues.

My thought was to buy the car with the remainder of the factory warranty. She has nine months left on the 3 year mark. Maybe within that nine months try to pay cash for warranty if I feel I need it. But then the guy at the dealer says I will end up paying more. I am going to contact some 3rd party warranty places tomorrow to get quotes.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I will post pictures when I pick her up on Saturday !!!!
zerovisual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:48 AM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
whats it add to the payment? you can get a shorter warranty but the price per month wont change much.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:01 AM   #3
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
How long to plan on keeping it? If it's 4 years or so then don't waste your money. 100k miles? Then maybe. But still if you took that $2200 and just put it in savings till you need it you'd still come out ahead in the end.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:17 AM   #4
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
If the car is still under factory warranty, you can get Chevy’s (GM) Extended Protection Plan. Just contact Dennis at Menholt Chevrolet and he’ll get you squared away with pricing, deductible and term of your liking. IMO, this is the best option if you plan on keeping your car for awhile and like to be backed by a Chevy branded warranty. Once outside of factory warranty, you can no longer buy the Chevy warranty so if you’re leaning toward this idea give yourself at least 3 months before the factory warranty expires to purchase the GMEPP.

If you plan to continue to visit the dealer that you’re buying your car from, should any issues arise, you can get their warranty but just know that it will work at other dealerships, if it’s a reputable company, but the dealer you’re buying from is far more familiar with their processes than others.

Last option, go with a warranty company backed by whomever is financing your loan. For example, when I financed our BMW with PenFed they go with Route 66. I never had any issues with them.

When we got the Camaro with USAA they go with Assurant. I had no prior experience with them by my Dad bought his X5 and Vette also financed through USAA and had Assurant on both. He has had nothing but positive things to say about them for the repairs needed on the X5. The Vette hasn’t had any issues. Based on that experience I had no issue with going with Assurant for the Camaro.

If you plan to swap cars like you change socks then don’t get the warranty and just tuck some money away every paycheck into an account to cover yourself just in case something comes up after the warranty is up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:44 AM   #5
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
OP, what recurrent electrical problems are you referring to? I don't remember anything consistent being a problem.

Keep in mind extended warranties are real money makers for dealerships.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
zerovisual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez View Post
OP, what recurrent electrical problems are you referring to? I don't remember anything consistent being a problem.

Keep in mind extended warranties are real money makers for dealerships.

Just googling online it seems people's most complaints are with the internal electrical. I was reading 2016 reviews on edmunds. My son has a buddy who has one with some electrical problems. I am probably just going to buy it as is with the remainder of the factory warranty. Then within nine months if I find that it would be worth it or if I feel safer with it. I will shop around for one.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #7
Peelam

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, Jet Black, M6
Weird it's not a Certified Pre-Owned. I bought my 16 1SS in June and its a CPO had 23K miles on it. You may want to ask as my dealer tried to sell me the extended warranty too but I declined as this is what I get being a CPO.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #8
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerovisual View Post
Just googling online it seems people's most complaints are with the internal electrical. I was reading 2016 reviews on edmunds. My son has a buddy who has one with some electrical problems. I am probably just going to buy it as is with the remainder of the factory warranty. Then within nine months if I find that it would be worth it or if I feel safer with it. I will shop around for one.

Thanks!
Consumer reports also cites electrical issues—also was wondering what they were.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #9
zerovisual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelam View Post
Weird it's not a Certified Pre-Owned. I bought my 16 1SS in June and its a CPO had 23K miles on it. You may want to ask as my dealer tried to sell me the extended warranty too but I declined as this is what I get being a CPO.

First, very sharp car. What percent is your tint because that definitely looks sharper on the black. Mine will also be black. Any trouble with the cops and tint?

Yes it is certified preowned.. Sorry I did not realize that made so much difference. I will still have a chunk of the factory warranty left. My biggest concern is the internal dash. I am wondering if that is under basic which it seems our cars would fall out of shortly. Would suck to get in the car and the speedometer not come up.

What I am hoping is that drive critical things like the speedometer are
covered under something other than basic.

Thanks everyone for the great information. What I am planning on doing as of right now is just buying the car out right. I have 9 months till the basic factory warranty is up and I am going to look into the GM extended warranty in about 7 months. Possibly pay cash for it. I do plan to keep it and pay it off.

The hard part of all this is done.. Sold my Civic SI to carmax and got the check for the camaro from the bank. Now just to go get it on Saturday.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #10
Peelam

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, Jet Black, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerovisual View Post
First, very sharp car. What percent is your tint because that definitely looks sharper on the black. Mine will also be black. Any trouble with the cops and tint?

Yes it is certified preowned.. Sorry I did not realize that made so much difference. I will still have a chunk of the factory warranty left. My biggest concern is the internal dash. I am wondering if that is under basic which it seems our cars would fall out of shortly. Would suck to get in the car and the speedometer not come up.

What I am hoping is that drive critical things like the speedometer are
covered under something other than basic.

Thanks everyone for the great information. What I am planning on doing as of right now is just buying the car out right. I have 9 months till the basic factory warranty is up and I am going to look into the GM extended warranty in about 7 months. Possibly pay cash for it. I do plan to keep it and pay it off.

The hard part of all this is done.. Sold my Civic SI to carmax and got the check for the camaro from the bank. Now just to go get it on Saturday.
Not sure what % the tint is, bought it that way. Id say at least 25% if not more. No issues with cops just kinda hard to see out of at night in dark areas without street lights. Can't see it in the photo but there is also a strip across the front windshield.

The only electrical issues I have ever heard/seen on the 2016 for which there was a recall for an audio warning issue.

Everything on mine works and I use it as my DD. 31K miles on it now.

NHTSA Vehicle Safety Recalls
Recall Number
16V084000
Recall Date
02/11/2016
Component
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: SOFTWARE
Summary
Genera Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain model year 2016 Chevrolet Camaro, Malibu, Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles. The radio may intermittently fail to provide an audio warning when the key has been left in the ignition and the door is opened or when the driver does not fasten their seat belt. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) number 114, "Theft Protection", and/or 208, "Occupant Crash Protection."

Consequence
An unbelted driver is at a greater risk of injury in a crash.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:25 AM   #11
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I would pass on the Ext Warr from that dealer and shop around. I would get the GMPP before I got any 3rd party warranty. The whole car is covered 3yr / 36k, then it is only the drivetrain for 5yr / 60k miles. The emission system, ECM and the exhaust are covered 8yr / 100k miles along with the rust proofing.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:43 AM   #12
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Dealers and other sources make a ton of money by offering and pushing these extended warranties. They have very good convincing tactics to persuade you to purchase one. Go with the factory warranty for now until it expires, then if you want after you can buy one when the factory one expires.

As other have stated it depends on how long you keep the car. We all can possibly encounter life changing things down the road- relocation for great job, etc. Or car is a lemon or we just change our mind and trade the car in for another one before the factory warranty expires.

And if you are handy working on cars or even know very good shops to repair vehicles it makes even less sense to get an extended warranty.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #13
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
OP: If you plan on keeping the car stock the entire time you own it, I'd say getting the extended warranty is a good investment. Just don't get it through that dealer, get it through GM as others have said. If you plan on doing anything to the car that could void the warranty, skip it. My 2 cents.

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #14
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
The deal would have to be out of this world for me to consider a used 2016. I'm sure there are quite a few out there with little to no problems, still, the majority of issues will tend to show their face on a first year release.

I know you already put the deposit down and all that, but I'd recommend having a couple things checked that could potentially lead to an accident:

-axle bolts. Get the newer ones anyway.
-brake TSB. They'll want to wait till it happens, but I'd ask about it and voice your concern regardless.

The electrical issues can affect any year it seems, and it's a good bet that the cause will be a harness shorting somewhere. IMO, that's the least of your worries. Same with the auto tranny and diff. They are all known issues but not life threatening and fixable for the most part.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote