Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-25-2021, 06:06 PM   #1
len125

Drives: chevrolet camaro
Oil change dilema - need advice

Bought brand new 2021 camaro . I always want to get my first oil change between 500-1000 miles. Went to the chevy dealer when I hit my 600th mile and they did not want to do it. Says that it was too early. My oil life was at 75 percent. Went to another chevy dealer when I hit 700 miles and they said the same thing, too early so they did not want to do it either. They both said they wouldn't do it till its around 30 percent oil life at least. I told both dealers that I really didn't care about the first oil change being "free" just that I wanted it done. I didn't want to "argue" with the service managers at both dealers so I just left. (dont want to tick off the guy that's going to work on my car) I went to a mom and pop service and they said they would do it and they have Mobil 1 synthetic in stock but I just dont feel comfortable with having this place do it on my brand new car. ( i also heard that if the Camaro isn't put on the lift right the rocker panel could get bent so I am hesitant to let a non-GM service tech work on my car. I am retired and have a slight disability where I cant get under the car, etc...just want my oil changed, what's the beef? isn't the customer always right? I know the manual says 3000 miles is ok for first oil change, but you know I just want it done the first time before 1000 miles. Or is that not necessary anymore? Is this a new policy for Chevrolet Dealers that they have to wait now till the oil life percentage is low, or what? the problem is also I may not hit 3000 miles on my car for 18 months to two years because I am retired and do not drive it as much as someone that uses it every day to get to work. any advice? Thanks for reading this...
len125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:46 PM   #2
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
What model do you have? Engine?
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:18 PM   #3
Yang N’ Bang
17’ Hyper Blue 2SS

Drives: 17’ Camaro 2SS
Regardless of what model you have, I always thought an oil change at 500-1000 is standard practice? Call me an amsoil snob, but I’ve put their break-in oil in most cars and bikes in as early as 300 and usually swap again at 750-1000 depending on the vehicle. Then again I am anti dealership as all hell after some of the crap theyve tried to pull when I had my 5th gen.
If youre not able to get under the car I would say try to find a well trusted performance ahop near you that is knowledgable on camaros to do your work.
Yang N’ Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:37 PM   #4
Z28James

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS; 2020 Bolt
My dealer didn't bat an eye when I asked to have my changed at 600mi. You don't have to change it at 500mi, especially if your not going to race it around... but a lot of people here will tell you its a good idea and I did it just because the small cost of an oil change in nothing compared to possible future issues in my opinion.
Z28James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:10 PM   #5
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by len125 View Post
Bought brand new 2021 camaro . I always want to get my first oil change between 500-1000 miles. Went to the chevy dealer when I hit my 600th mile and they did not want to do it. Says that it was too early. My oil life was at 75 percent. Went to another chevy dealer when I hit 700 miles and they said the same thing, too early so they did not want to do it either. They both said they wouldn't do it till its around 30 percent oil life at least. I told both dealers that I really didn't care about the first oil change being "free" just that I wanted it done. I didn't want to "argue" with the service managers at both dealers so I just left. (dont want to tick off the guy that's going to work on my car) I went to a mom and pop service and they said they would do it and they have Mobil 1 synthetic in stock but I just dont feel comfortable with having this place do it on my brand new car. ( i also heard that if the Camaro isn't put on the lift right the rocker panel could get bent so I am hesitant to let a non-GM service tech work on my car. I am retired and have a slight disability where I cant get under the car, etc...just want my oil changed, what's the beef? isn't the customer always right? I know the manual says 3000 miles is ok for first oil change, but you know I just want it done the first time before 1000 miles. Or is that not necessary anymore? Is this a new policy for Chevrolet Dealers that they have to wait now till the oil life percentage is low, or what? the problem is also I may not hit 3000 miles on my car for 18 months to two years because I am retired and do not drive it as much as someone that uses it every day to get to work. any advice? Thanks for reading this...
I did my first oil change on my SS at 505 miles (did the differential as well) and did my second at 1,500 miles (changed the diff as well this time too)... My theory is "Fluids are cheap, components are not..." I did the changes myself in my garage... Whoever does it make sure they are using the right fluid for your engine (I don't know which engine you have), if you have the LT1 V8 engine you should run Mobil1 0W-40 ESP Formula (which isn't super common or easy to find)... Make sure whatever they use it is Dexos2 approved..

I wish you lived nearby, I'd have you buy the fluids and invite you over for a day of working on your car... Throw it up on my QuickJack and make quick work of your fluid change...

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:28 PM   #6
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by len125 View Post
I went to a mom and pop service and they said they would do it and they have Mobil 1 synthetic in stock but I just dont feel comfortable with having this place do it on my brand new car. ( i also heard that if the Camaro isn't put on the lift right the rocker panel could get bent so I am hesitant to let a non-GM service tech work on my car.
There are shops that change oil from a pit where the car is never put on a lift. Some shops allow you to bring in your own oil and filter and they just charge for the labor and shop expenses. Maybe call around and find a shop like that. Keep your receipts for proof in case of future warranty questions.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:43 PM   #7
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
There are shops that change oil from a pit where the car is never put on a lift. Some shops allow you to bring in your own oil and filter and they just charge for the labor and shop expenses. Maybe call around and find a shop like that. Keep your receipts for proof in case of future warranty questions.
Along with what Mark114 suggested you could also consider a shop that has an alignment lift. If they don’t have anything lined up for a front end alignment, ask them to use the alignment lift to do the oil change. No worrying about someone messing up the car on a two post.

Did the service writer at the dealership decline you an oil change if you paid them instead of doing it for “free”?

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:45 PM   #8
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
In Maryland Jiffy Lube will do that. They have a pit, and you can watch them through a window.
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:41 PM   #9
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I did my first oil change on my SS at 505 miles (did the differential as well) and did my second at 1,500 miles (changed the diff as well this time too)... My theory is "Fluids are cheap, components are not..." I did the changes myself in my garage... Whoever does it make sure they are using the right fluid for your engine (I don't know which engine you have), if you have the LT1 V8 engine you should run Mobil1 0W-40 ESP Formula (which isn't super common or easy to find)... Make sure whatever they use it is Dexos2 approved..

I wish you lived nearby, I'd have you buy the fluids and invite you over for a day of working on your car... Throw it up on my QuickJack and make quick work of your fluid change...

Not all heroes wear capes... but what the hell do I know? You might just be out there enough to throw on a cape before changing your camaro's fluids...
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:04 PM   #10
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Not all heroes wear capes... but what the hell do I know? You might just be out there enough to throw on a cape before changing your camaro's fluids...
No idea what that means, but "Thanks"... I think...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 02-25-2021, 11:20 PM   #11
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
No idea what that means, but "Thanks"... I think...
I meant the kind gesture to assist the partially disabled OP in the event where you two were closer to each other, felt heartwarming... the rest of my banter was just associating you as an early preventive maintenance caped hero.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:35 PM   #12
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
I meant the kind gesture to assist the partially disabled OP in the event where you two were closer to each other, felt heartwarming... the rest of my banter was just associating you as an early preventive maintenance caped hero.
Gotcha, well in that case, many thanks!

I like helping people and I'm all about preventative maintenance...

Old 02-26-2021, 06:19 AM   #13
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Your dealership couldn't care less when they change your oil, and there is NOTHING in the details of the free oil change offer (assuming that you were looking to have them do the one free service visit for this) that precludes them from changing the oil immediately after taking delivery.

In the case of the V8 motors, the High Performance Supplement actually guides you to changing various fluids WELL before the maintenance minder would tell you.

Tell them all to kick rocks and just do it yourself. Before buying my Camaro, I hadn't been under a car in probably 20 years. Since buying it less than a year ago, I've changed its oil twice, differential fluid once, and have also changed the oil in one of my other rides. It's insanely painless to do and WAY cheaper than hitting the dealership for it. Plus, you know it's done right.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 06:49 AM   #14
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Put 1500 miles on your Camaro and then take it to the dealership and tell them you want to have the oil changed.