Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-16-2021, 09:25 PM   #1
Marknbacon

Drives: 2015 camaro SS
tuning for high-flow cats

Before you read any further and assume I haven't done any research: I have. I tried searching on here to no great success, and what I have found about the subject makes me nervous. And the search on the forums isn't working on either tapatalk or browser based on laptop.

Here's the situation: Installing new kook's Long tube headers (1-7/8") and getting WB O2 bung welded on this week. (AEM wideband, the one that is sold on HP Tuner's, except I got through summit) headers have regular High flow cats (NOT the Green versions.) I've read it'll throw a code due to the HF cats (Not really that big of a deal, CELs can be disabled) but more importantly, I have read it will make it run lean and will cause the ECM to throw more fuel at it to richen it back up and will cause some weakness on the bottom end. Not going to work for me.

I'm not opposed to doing the whole non-fouler trick, but I would really love to tune it properly to where it won't throw a code and it will read the exhaust correctly.

Does anyone know what needs to be changed in HPT to make it run correctly? What worked for you? I don't particularly want to pay for a remote tune as I'll be doing a cam swap in the near future (GPI SS2) and I know a lot of remote tuners won't touch anything that has a cam with more than .600 lift (this is .61 something I think)

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Resources are awesome, but I've been struggling to find any info on it (I watch goat rope frequently.)
Marknbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:00 AM   #2
07-SRT

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Sorry I can't help you with the HP tuners. Ryan@gpi remote-tuned my SS2 cam. His attention to detail and quick revisions was great. We did 6 revisions until it was exactly where he wanted it. Also if you purchase their remote to now, in the future when you go to do your cam it would be $100 to retune.

2015 Camaro 2SS

Cam/Heads/FBO 498/447 SAE
07-SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:59 AM   #3
Marknbacon

Drives: 2015 camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07-SRT View Post
Sorry I can't help you with the HP tuners. Ryan@gpi remote-tuned my SS2 cam. His attention to detail and quick revisions was great. We did 6 revisions until it was exactly where he wanted it. Also if you purchase their remote to now, in the future when you go to do your cam it would be $100 to retune.
Hmmmm, I may consider that, depending on how much lethal performance in Jefferson City, TN costs for a dyno tune. I've heard they're around the same price range as GPI's remote tuning. Thank you for letting me know he remote tuned an SS2 cam, that's definitely an option now.
Marknbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:55 AM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marknbacon View Post
Before you read any further and assume I haven't done any research: I have. I tried searching on here to no great success, and what I have found about the subject makes me nervous. And the search on the forums isn't working on either tapatalk or browser based on laptop.

Here's the situation: Installing new kook's Long tube headers (1-7/8") and getting WB O2 bung welded on this week. (AEM wideband, the one that is sold on HP Tuner's, except I got through summit) headers have regular High flow cats (NOT the Green versions.) I've read it'll throw a code due to the HF cats (Not really that big of a deal, CELs can be disabled) but more importantly, I have read it will make it run lean and will cause the ECM to throw more fuel at it to richen it back up and will cause some weakness on the bottom end. Not going to work for me.

I'm not opposed to doing the whole non-fouler trick, but I would really love to tune it properly to where it won't throw a code and it will read the exhaust correctly.

Does anyone know what needs to be changed in HPT to make it run correctly? What worked for you? I don't particularly want to pay for a remote tune as I'll be doing a cam swap in the near future (GPI SS2) and I know a lot of remote tuners won't touch anything that has a cam with more than .600 lift (this is .61 something I think)

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Resources are awesome, but I've been struggling to find any info on it (I watch goat rope frequently.)
I remote tune 1000 RWHP combinations perfectly https://jannettyracing.com/products/...une-click-here
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:25 PM   #5
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
In simplest overview terms:
- recalibrate the airflow model / transfer functions in closed loop (get fuel trims closer to nominal)
- recalibrate airflow in open loop PE to hit desired WOT fueling (prevent the lean condition I assume you are speaking about)
- deal with the relevant codes (prevent the CEL)

That's about it for headers only. Might be able to throw more timing at it too, but need a dyno or track to do that safely and accurately.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:10 AM   #6
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Pretty much you turn the CEL off from reporting and then correct the a/f ratio, which you need to do anyway with the headers.

The headers would force the lean condition more than the HF cat. The cat would just throw the CEL and have you fail emissions testing.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:36 AM   #7
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marknbacon View Post

If you have HPtuners you could try to tune it yourself. If the headers/cats are your only modification, and you havent changed the intake piping (maf placement), I would just tune out all of the secondary 02 codes and run it until you get your cam installed. Normally with headers tuners would add 1 or 2 degrees of timing and touch up the MAF table to dial in the fueling, but it would not be so far off that you cant drive it. I've got a few buddies driving around like that as we speak. Thousands of daily driven miles, just turned off the codes...

Once you get your cam installed, I would highly suggest Ted Jannetty for remote tuning. I've hired him twice (2 different setups) and we made 27 total revisions to get things perfect. Not only does he tune the car, but he can see mechanical problems in the logs. For example he could tell I had a small misfire, which led me to find a slightly cracked plug. He also knew I needed a second bypass, cause too much air was flowing across the maf at part throttle. He will guide you through your mechanical mishaps... that's priceless. He's not the cheapest, but you'll see why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I remote tune 1000 RWHP combinations perfectly https://jannettyracing.com/products/...une-click-here

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:26 AM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
If you have HPtuners you could try to tune it yourself. If the headers/cats are your only modification, and you havent changed the intake piping (maf placement), I would just tune out all of the secondary 02 codes and run it until you get your cam installed. Normally with headers tuners would add 1 or 2 degrees of timing and touch up the MAF table to dial in the fueling, but it would not be so far off that you cant drive it. I've got a few buddies driving around like that as we speak. Thousands of daily driven miles, just turned off the codes...

Once you get your cam installed, I would highly suggest Ted Jannetty for remote tuning. I've hired him twice (2 different setups) and we made 27 total revisions to get things perfect. Not only does he tune the car, but he can see mechanical problems in the logs. For example he could tell I had a small misfire, which led me to find a slightly cracked plug. He also knew I needed a second bypass, cause too much air was flowing across the maf at part throttle. He will guide you through your mechanical mishaps... that's priceless. He's not the cheapest, but you'll see why.

Thank you sir.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote