Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-07-2021, 06:08 AM   #1
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
Is it neccesary to put a sealant on the VERT top

I was wondering what your thoughts were on putting a fabric sealant on your VERT top?
I put the Chemicals Guys sealant on already. It was expensive stuff and made the top look a little darker. However, I dont think it made the top any more water repellent.
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:01 AM   #2
Mikey Likes

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert...2019 F-250
Im shopping those products now. I think its a great way to prolong the roof. But some of the reviews on the products are poor.
Dont want to buy snake oil.
Mikey Likes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:47 AM   #3
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
I did - but I don't put it on all the time. In fact, I did it only once about 2 years ago.
I should probably give it another application. I used the Raggtop brand. Cleaner and then sealer - two step process.

There are some good recommendations here:
https://sandiego-autodetail.com/best...e-top-cleaner/
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:07 AM   #4
Ox45
Hillbilly Highness

Drives: 2001 S10, 2022 LT1 Vert
I also use Raggtop products. They do seem to work well and keep the top clean and repelling water.

Ox.
Ox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:56 AM   #5
paudea4

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Convertible
My detailer uses a product from Gtechniq. It beads up really well to protect top.
paudea4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:44 AM   #6
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Nope, mild soap and water is all that hits it.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:55 AM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
I use two very specific things to protect my top... A garage and the storage area in the car. If I'm driving it, the top is down.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:29 AM   #8
Noreplacement

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox45 View Post
I also use Raggtop products. They do seem to work well and keep the top clean and repelling water.

Ox.
+1
Noreplacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:23 AM   #9
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I use two very specific things to protect my top... A garage and the storage area in the car. If I'm driving it, the top is down.
you know - that is a good point and probably the reason I only treated mine once so far. Water still beads up on it even several years after treatment - but like you mine is always garaged, and even covered part of the year - and when I drive it the top is down 90%+
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:24 PM   #10
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
I just want to make the right moves early on prior to finding out i should have been doing something all this time.
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #11
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
I have sealed mine with the Chemical Guys product but the owners manual only says this:

Convertible Top Care
Frequently hand wash convertible tops with mild car wash soap. Never use a stiff brush, steam, bleach, or aggressive cleaners.

If necessary, a soft brush can be used to remove dirt. When finished cleaning, thoroughly rinse the fabric.

Avoid automatic car washes with overhead brushes or very high pressure sprays as they can cause damage and leaking.

Only lower the top when it is completely dry and avoid leaving the top lowered for extended periods of time to prevent excessive interior weathering.

Avoid leaving large amounts of snow on the top for extended periods.
joekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:14 PM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
I have sealed mine with the Chemical Guys product but the owners manual only says this:

Convertible Top Care
Frequently hand wash convertible tops with mild car wash soap. Never use a stiff brush, steam, bleach, or aggressive cleaners.

If necessary, a soft brush can be used to remove dirt. When finished cleaning, thoroughly rinse the fabric.

Avoid automatic car washes with overhead brushes or very high pressure sprays as they can cause damage and leaking.

Only lower the top when it is completely dry and avoid leaving the top lowered for extended periods of time to prevent excessive interior weathering.

Avoid leaving large amounts of snow on the top for extended periods.
Yep. They're basically reminding you that it's fabric, so take care of it.

Mild detergents and nothing abrasive ensure that the fabric does not experience premature deterioration. Thorough drying and not putting the top down until it's thoroughly dry ensures no mold/mildew anywhere. The top should be up if it's parked - this ensure that the fabric returns to its extended position and doesn't unnecessarily crease the fabric.

As far as the snow part goes, I would be doing everything in my power to not get snow on the roof at all. Even when thoroughly brushed off, there's the possibility of some melt and re-freeze, and that can cause damage as well. If you DO get snow on the roof, find somewhere to park it so that the snow can completely melt off and it can dry out - a garage or someplace in the sun for an extended period will work. If your top is Kalahari, it will likely take longer for sun-assisted melt and dry than it would with the blue or black - and black will be the best for collecting heat and speeding that up.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:38 PM   #13
dansap
It's just a ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 vert
I just put the 303 fabric protection on for the first time and it works great. Water beads up and runs right off. Applied the first coat and let it dry 24hrs and then did a second coat.
dansap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:43 PM   #14
gchu

Drives: Chevy Camaro
I wound up using the Porsche Cabriolet Top Waterproofer - figure if it was good enough for a Porsche, it would be worth a try.... I did notice water beaded up more and the top seemed easier to clean with a lint brush....

It was $22.... so it's in line with pricing with Chemical Guys
gchu is offline   Reply With Quote