Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-08-2021, 11:04 AM   #15
Bogey

Drives: ‘73 Rally Sport, 2018 2SS vert
Congratulations on your order!
I ordered a convertible the first of April and the dealer isn't sure yet what's going on, other than to say the the 2021 order should turn into a 2022 order.
I'm not really expecting to see it very soon. I could possibly be giving Santa Claus a ride when it comes in. Convertibles and North Dakota winters don't go well together, so I'm certainly hoping to be able to drive it before next summer.
Bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:03 PM   #16
grampi

Drives: Mazda CX-9
When you say you ordered one, does that mean they build it at the factory to your specs, or do you get whatever comes closest to what what you want from a dealer's lot somewhere? When I went to chevy.com and did a build, it then searched dealer lots to find what I built, however, it came up with nothing close to what I built. Mine would have to come from the factory because there's no way they're going to find what I want already on a dealer's lot...

Last edited by grampi; 05-08-2021 at 02:53 PM.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #17
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
You won't regret it. Ordered mine in Jan, built in Feb and delivered in Feb. I smile every time I look at it, let alone drive it.
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:22 PM   #18
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
If it was that simple it would’ve been fixed by now. Here’s how the semi-conductor thing played out. TLDR - blame COVID.

When shut-down orders had US auto plants shut down for several months, the automakers cut back their orders on components. Unlike some components where the automakers are by far the biggest customers, automakers account for less than 10% of semi-conductor sales. On top of that, margins chipmakers earn on auto business is lower than margins they earn on chips for, say... gaming consoles.

Now, about gaming consoles...combine the fact that the most popular gaming consoles were launching brand new hardware at the exact same time people were being told they had to stay home. Surge in gaming console sales. So chipmakers converted their processes to make more gaming model chips and no auto chips. It will take time to convert back, and at only 10% of the volume and nowhere else to go for product, the automakers are in no position to say “do it or else!”. Chipmakers be like...”or else what?”

So, if you bought a new PlayStation or Nintendo Switch during the pandemic, you are part of the problem. If you are seeking penance (and you should be), DM me and I’ll send you an address where you can send your gaming console to start the process of making amends.
Didn't 2 of the major plants burn down?

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:08 PM   #19
Bogey

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
When you say you ordered one, does that mean they build it at the factory to your specs, or do you get whatever comes closest to what what you want from a dealer's lot somewhere? When I went to chevy.com and did a build, it then searched dealer lots to find what I built, however, it came up with nothing close to what I built. Mine would have to come from the factory because there's no way they're going to find what I want already on a dealer's lot...
Mine’s being built to my specs as there is also nothing that comes close to what I want. There’s not much out there at all in convertibles.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #20
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Didn't 2 of the major plants burn down?
One for sure. Not sure about two. Unless they were both on the same property.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:07 PM   #21
Soon2be 21SS

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Ordered my vert mid January with build week supposed to be March 8. Been sitting at status code 3400 since late Feb. IMO, slim chance mine will be built in the remaining two weeks in July until buildout July 16. I’m waiting it out; probably a big gamble. Will likely have to order a 2022. Oh well. So it goes....
Soon2be 21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:02 PM   #22
Hrothgar

Drives: 1971, 1973, 2002 Camaro
I'm in a similar situation, I've all but given up on finding a reasonably priced used 1SS 1LE, what with the used car market going nuts in the past few months. So, I've decided to do something I couldn't imagine ever doing; ordering a car new from the factory. It goes against all my penny-pinching inclinations, but then again, this is meant to be that "one" car that I'll drive until I can't get in or out of anymore, so it might was well be configured exactly how I want it to be. After speaking with JoeP of TeamBecky fame, I'm going to be plesantly surprised if I actually have a new vehicle by the time the NFL is back in full swing in the fall.
Hrothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #23
seethruya

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1 Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDaniels609 View Post
Joined this forum right after I sold my scatpack to carvana after being fed up with it and getting an offer I couldn’t refuse. Even with all the craziness going on I submitted an order to my dealer for a 2ss. They said no ETA obviously since nobody knows what’s gonna happen in the current climate. I’m still pretty excited. I went with a satin steel 2ss 10spd with adrenaline red interior. Only options I got were red seatbelts and calipers, alloy pedals, carbon flash wheels, NPP exhaust, and the body colored high wing wickerbill looking thing. Let’s place bets now.. when do you guys think I’ll see this thing?! Really praying I have a better experience with it than I did with my scat!
For me, working with a dealer was a complete waste of time. 5 months of never ending excuses. Working with Joe was a night and day difference with my custom build. Ordered beginning of September last year, was driving the Camaro off the lot just before Thanksgiving.

Last edited by seethruya; 05-10-2021 at 12:42 PM.
seethruya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:42 PM   #24
seethruya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
I'm in a similar situation, I've all but given up on finding a reasonably priced used 1SS 1LE, what with the used car market going nuts in the past few months. So, I've decided to do something I couldn't imagine ever doing; ordering a car new from the factory. It goes against all my penny-pinching inclinations, but then again, this is meant to be that "one" car that I'll drive until I can't get in or out of anymore, so it might was well be configured exactly how I want it to be. After speaking with JoeP of TeamBecky fame, I'm going to be plesantly surprised if I actually have a new vehicle by the time the NFL is back in full swing in the fall.
I ordered my vehicle through JoeP Team Becky. If they can’t get your vehicle, no one can. I cannot say enough good things about how Joe and his dealer does business.

I am a penny pincher through and through. Never in a million years thought I would proceed with a custom build but after going through the experience, 6 months later, being able to create the exact vehicle you want, it’s worth it times 10. Even with the consideration of spending a little more going this route. For me, it was a 2021 Camaro LT1 convertible with a 6-speed manual. Definitely won’t be the last time I do a custom build in the future.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #25
Bogey

My wife and I have always wanted a Camaro convertible for acting like kids when we retire. The last vehicle I ordered from the factory was a'78 Z28, so it's not something I do often. I tried and so did the dealer to find a convertible Camaro with a manual transmission, and the searches showed none in a 2000 mile radius.

I went the order route so as to get exactly what I want. Ordered the beginning of April. Dealer has left me pretty much in the dark and the info I can gather comes mostly from here. I'm prepared to wait it out, and it looks like I won't have it for this summer, but I'm trying to optimistic about having it for next summer. Geez that seems like a long time to wait for a car!
Old 05-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #26
seethruya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
My wife and I have always wanted a Camaro convertible for acting like kids when we retire. The last vehicle I ordered from the factory was a'78 Z28, so it's not something I do often. I tried and so did the dealer to find a convertible Camaro with a manual transmission, and the searches showed none in a 2000 mile radius.

I went the order route so as to get exactly what I want. Ordered the beginning of April. Dealer has left me pretty much in the dark and the info I can gather comes mostly from here. I'm prepared to wait it out, and it looks like I won't have it for this summer, but I'm trying to optimistic about having it for next summer. Geez that seems like a long time to wait for a car!
Did you put any money down with the dealer? Have they provided you a status number?
Old 05-10-2021, 02:27 PM   #27
Bogey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethruya View Post
Did you put any money down with the dealer? Have they provided you a status number?
I ordered 4/7 and got an 1100 code. I had to put $1000 down.
I wasn’t concerned with the down payment as the salesman told me it would take 8-12 weeks and I’d have my car. I wasn’t aware at the time of how the chip shortage was affecting Camaro.

After ordering, and getting very excited about summer cruising with the top down, I found this forum and lost that excitement. I had no idea whatsoever about allocations and the ordering process until learning more here. I was very naive thinking if you wanted a vehicle you ordered it and it would arrive on a truck in a few weeks. That’s the way it worked when I was young anyways.

Should have realized that as time passes, nothing works like it used to.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #28
02blackss

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible
I went through this back in January.....Ordered it on the 30th...Got screwed around with for 5 weeks until I got my 1000 dollars back. Was promised they had allocation, and it never came about. I was lucky enough to find an LT1 about a hour away to my liking. It was a painful experience at best and I will never order again....

Jason
02blackss is offline   Reply With Quote