Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-05-2021, 05:29 PM   #1
grampi

Drives: Mazda CX-9
Went looking for a test drive today

...and came up with nothing. I was looking for any 6.2 liter 6 speed. I went to 3 fairly large Chevy dealers in my area, and the only Camaros they had were 4 and 6 cylinders, new or used. One had an SS that was sold, and another had a modified SS, and they wouldn't allow test drives with it. They all said they sell every V-8 Camaro they get. Tell me again why GM is going to pull the plug on this car? Meanwhile, Mustangs are a dime a dozen...
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
BluinSC

Drives: BVM 1SS
Expand your field. I get shut out in the summer/fall of 2017 here in SC. Went to Charlotte and they had not problems with test drives.

The first one I bought was it Raleigh Hendrick dealership for 6 months.
BluinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:05 PM   #3
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
...and came up with nothing. I was looking for any 6.2 liter 6 speed. I went to 3 fairly large Chevy dealers in my area, and the only Camaros they had were 4 and 6 cylinders, new or used. One had an SS that was sold, and another had a modified SS, and they wouldn't allow test drives with it. They all said they sell every V-8 Camaro they get. Tell me again why GM is going to pull the plug on this car? Meanwhile, Mustangs are a dime a dozen...

Best time to but one is in the middle of winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:17 PM   #4
hudohio

Drives: 2017 2SS Conv
grampi - I see you're in Ohio, same here. I was looking for a while and finally found a 2017 2SS manual convertible in Maryland and was able to snag it within a couple days of it arriving at the dealership as a trade, they hadn't even posted all the pictures yet. For used 2SS meeting the specs I was looking for, there were usually 1 to 4 available in the whole country when I was looking. Many are way overpriced right now. Glad I finally found mine!
hudohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:28 PM   #5
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Just be patient, let production catch up to demand again in a few months. It's a sellers market right now. It's not the right time to buy at the moment, unless you enjoy overpaying.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:50 PM   #6
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
If your goal is to get a 6.2L 6 speed wait a bit. Patience is key my friend.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:32 PM   #7
grampi

Drives: Mazda CX-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Just be patient, let production catch up to demand again in a few months. It's a sellers market right now. It's not the right time to buy at the moment, unless you enjoy overpaying.
Not looking to buy right now. I haven't driven a Camaro 6 yet...gotta find out what the 6.2 feels like...
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:06 PM   #8
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Supply and demand - Camaro sells less than the "other 2" currently...

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #9
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
It’s a brutal market right now, but it will settle down eventually.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:14 PM   #10
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
They’re out there, depending on the time and effort you’re willing to put in. I certainly would not buy a used Camaro right now. Buying new is one thing, if you’re willing to wait, but the used market is SO overvalued (especially in regards to V8 Camaro’s).
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:25 PM   #11
Monroe
Banned

Drives: Chevrolet
Quote:

It took me a year to find my 17 SS 6 speed. Mostly because I was looking for a deal I couldn't refuse and was in no big hurry because I was in an 11' Camaro at the time which was nice. I got my 17' SS in Feb. or March of 2017.
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:57 PM   #12
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Supply and demand - Camaro sells less than the "other 2" currently...

That is what is also hurting the market. The last few years Chevy doesn't give a damn about the Camaro and the lots are not flooded with them. Just makes the shortage even worse.

The shortage is affecting the Mustang GT as well but not nearly as bad as the Camaro. Ford makes more Mustangs.

Camaro is not a top priority for Chevy.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:20 PM   #13
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
That is what is also hurting the market. The last few years Chevy doesn't give a damn about the Camaro and the lots are not flooded with them. Just makes the shortage even worse.

The shortage is affecting the Mustang GT as well but not nearly as bad as the Camaro. Ford makes more Mustangs.

Camaro is not a top priority for Chevy.
It sucks and it shows.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:33 PM   #14
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
It sucks and it shows.

You do see a ton more Gen 5 Camaros on the road though. You'd think the Gen 6 would be more popular due to being faster, MUCH better interior, and more stylish.

While it's impossible to find a new Camaro on the lots, the used Camaros I see, especially the SS, ZL1 and LT1 despite the shortages I see them still sitting on the lots and not moving much. I know the inflated prices are probably a big factor too, but still.

Even when I was looking last Sept there was a shortage of new starting, but even then the used Camaros were not moving much. The dealer I bought mine from knocked the price down 4,200 off KBB used, 2016. Heck, late last sept the dealer had FOUR left over 2020 1SS for a pretty damn good price and still took a bit to move despite being one of the few 1sss in the region.

I said it many times before. Chevy should have a base model LT1, bare bones comparable to the base model Mustang GT. That's low priced.

Many don't want to spend 46k on a loaded up 2ss. I'd take a LT1 new for 34k with just auto tranny and nothing else. And when the dealers do have an LT1 it's fully loaded for around 42-43k!!

The general public these cars are geared towards isn't going to spend 45-55k on a SS or 43k on an LT1 when you can get a new Base model Mustang GT for as low as 34k or lower with rebates, haggling, etc.

granted it's a tad slower, and the general public doesn't think like we on this forum do.

Like my 2016 2SS I bought used for 31,200. I'd still take it over a new 2021 Mustang GT. better interior, slightly faster, better styling, overall better car.

I was one of those looking for a bare bones LT1. All I wanted was an automatic transmission and nothing else. No dealers had that new in the region at the time. I nearly bit on those left over new 2020 1SS. Price was pretty damn good.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote