Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-28-2021, 07:35 PM   #15
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
What ever works here. I think the importance of squashing the leaks here goes un sung. Those upstream sensors get a hint of fresh air and they go nuts

Last edited by 6spdhyperblue; 04-29-2021 at 03:17 AM.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:55 PM   #16
Doc Oc

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
That's good info. I've been through 3 different bands and just can't get the driver's side connection to stop leaking....but I've been looking for the sturdiest bands. Can't weld it either as I go back and forth with the cats. I'll give the summit ones a try. You don't have a link or part # by chance do you?
Old 04-28-2021, 08:10 PM   #17
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
not on hand. they're 3" stainless steel band clamps. given how the band shrinks, i feel like it will be 1 time use, but whatever. i might have some in the garage, i can check when i get home.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:23 PM   #18
dethzombi

Drives: 17 Camaro SS Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Oc View Post
It's pretty simply. Unbolt the stockers (hardest part by far as some of the bolts are difficult to access) then slide a jack under the oil pan. Put a foot long piece of 1x6 between jack and pan to distribute the load and lift the engine just enough to get the factory mounts out. Probably about 1.5". With them out you can slide your headers in place no problem without removing anything. Once the headers have a couple bolts in them put the bmr mounts, tighten the bottom bolts and get the top ones hand tight, then lower the engine, tighten rest of the bolts and Bob's your uncle. Once you see how much play the factory mounts have you'll be glad you went with the bmr's. I took a video of the engine movement (when starting) before the mounts and after. Night and day difference. Can't find the video now though unfortunately.

One thing to note. BMR sends two different size bolts with the mounts. Make sure you use the right bolt in the right spot. It's pretty obvious but I still managed to do it wrong on the first mount.
I'm going to be doing this install on a lift at my friend's house, how would that process work on a lift? I mean other than of course installing them on the ground first and then lifting the car and doing the headers.
dethzombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:41 PM   #19
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethzombi View Post
I'm going to be doing this install on a lift at my friend's house, how would that process work on a lift? I mean other than of course installing them on the ground first and then lifting the car and doing the headers.
That’s exactly how we did it. We didn’t have the car completely down on the suspension. The tires were touching and not too high the jack and wood wouldn’t reach the oil pan.

Should’ve got a few pics of the jack and wood but didn’t think about it at the time.
Attached Images

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:54 PM   #20
Doc Oc

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethzombi View Post
Even easier. Put a tranny stand with the wood under the oil pan and lower the car until the engine lifts enough to free the mounts. Go real slow though obviously.