Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-24-2021, 08:55 AM   #15
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
people crack me up. Sure who wouldn't love to have a 69 396 M21 sitting in their garage to take out occasionally and assault every nerve in your body. Once you are passed on the track by an electric car that has the feeling of being glued to the pavement pulling 1.2gs in the corners and the car can handle anything you throw at it you people will be lining up to buy electric cars. Sure people are still gonna love the feeling of tracking and dragging the old combustion engines of the past but electric is the future. And by the way i am 60 and can't wait to see what's on the market in several years.
I’ll never give up driving a manual transmission even as my everyday driver so electric cars can pass me up all day.

I don’t consider them cars anyway. They’re transportation appliances. Huge difference.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:13 AM   #16

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
people crack me up. Sure who wouldn't love to have a 69 396 M21 sitting in their garage to take out occasionally and assault every nerve in your body. Once you are passed on the track by an electric car that has the feeling of being glued to the pavement pulling 1.2gs in the corners and the car can handle anything you throw at it you people will be lining up to buy electric cars. Sure people are still gonna love the feeling of tracking and dragging the old combustion engines of the past but electric is the future. And by the way i am 60 and can't wait to see what's on the market in several years.
Here ya go....You can have my place in line for the EV future...This just might be the new EV Camaro! and it has the necessary increased visibility to improve sales.

Name:  EV Chevy.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  121.8 KB

Last edited by 90503; 04-24-2021 at 09:24 AM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:17 AM   #17
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
I agree with most of this, but the future is today. And today I haven't been passed by any electric cars. So I'm living for today, god only knows about tomorrow.

I do agree most will transition to electric at some point, but I may be dead by then so I'll continue to enjoy my ZLE. Brother just bought a Tesla Model Y Dual Motor. It's a POS, fast in a straight line (but has no soul, did not strike a nerve in my body at all)! I was actually a little depressed after I drove it..

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:41 AM   #18
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamus View Post
Pass I will resist driving an appliance as long as I can...
they can have goals.. It's good to have goal, but I don't see them hitting those goals. Way to many variables. Power Grid, Recycling, Used EV market values, Everyone that buys $2000 - $3000 used IC vehicles because they can't afford anything different... I could probably list 10 more things. EV's will fill a niche market, that's all they will do. I don't think ICE will be around forever, but I don't think EV's will be the main replacement. I think it will be some other fuel source. All this stuff is cyclical... Once there is a new administration, things will change.
jamala00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:50 AM   #19
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Here ya go....You can have my place in line for the EV future...This just might be the new EV Camaro! and it has the necessary increased visibility to improve sales.

Attachment 1065833
My god... gonna go have a coffee now while staring lovingly at the 255 flathead V8 in my Meteor, and the LT4 in my Camaro (hoods up of course).
Old 04-24-2021, 10:14 AM   #20
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
Not a fact as most kids nowadays don't care about cars nor do they even want to drive. The ones that do only want status symbol cars that way they can show off on all their social media platforms.
yep. here they just want cars to bragg about online. a chevy doesn't cut it so they buy some german junk instead

Last edited by Camaro fanboy; 04-24-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Camaro fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:32 AM   #21
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
On topic, the "electric Camaro" is a from me, I don't yet see what would or even could differentiate it from the rest of the "me too" electric pack.

Yep at that point why buy a 2 seat (plus 2 really small seats) EV Camaro when you can buy a 4 seat Tesla or what ever when that time comes for same price with the same capabilities.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:12 AM   #22
spireland

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ ZL1 View Post
Ugh, not interested.

If uptake ever got even close to what these people imagine it should be, then rolling blackouts/brownouts would become a part of every day life. Power generation won't be able to meet demand, let alone power delivery.
Not really. Scaling the grid is a solvable problem, plus most people charge at night when grid draw is the lowest.

The real problem is unified charging tech and urban use. If you don’t have a home it’s much harder to charge. Charging connectors are all over the place, it’s like the PC marker in the early 80s with all the compatibility issues.
spireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:33 AM   #23

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
On topic, the "electric Camaro" is a from me, I don't yet see what would or even could differentiate it from the rest of the "me too" electric pack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
Yep at that point why buy a 2 seat (plus 2 really small seats) EV Camaro when you can buy a 4 seat Tesla or what ever when that time comes for same price with the same capabilities.
As we can learn from the past, the EV platform sameness results in little but cosmetic differences for the customer to choose from...

Note the newer yet to be named EVs with the yellow hoods compared to the older model all red EVs.

Aren't those new ones exciting?

Name:  bumper cars3.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  107.9 KB
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:39 AM   #24
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
people crack me up. Sure who wouldn't love to have a 69 396 M21 sitting in their garage to take out occasionally and assault every nerve in your body. Once you are passed on the track by an electric car that has the feeling of being glued to the pavement pulling 1.2gs in the corners and the car can handle anything you throw at it you people will be lining up to buy electric cars.
Let's look a little deeper into that boldfaced part . . .

Enjoyment on track is more than just having big g-numbers to brag about - the car in my sig already can pull more than 1.2 lat-g. The nicest part is that it is all on me to make it happen, and that I can do so in a fairly relaxed manner . . . a brisk drive out in the country sort of thing only faster. That it's all on me to keep bad things from happening by getting too greedy with either some pedal or the steering.

An EV would take too much away from that, while giving nothing but sanitized (and forgettable) numbers back in return. At HPDE, and even in just your street driving, the feeling is really a big part of your enjoyment. Maybe the biggest part.

For me, driving has always been as much about the driver's part in it all as about the car itself. That's a situation where trading away from the subjective side of driving for more car capability - outside of direct competition anyway - doesn't always make sense.

At 73, the loss on the subjective side is enough to make just the fact that a car is an EV a deal-breaker all by itself. Even for just around-town street driving the actual enjoyment just isn't going to be there.

Norm
Old 04-24-2021, 11:43 AM   #25
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Dang it, no GM. Leave the sports cars and the truck fans alone.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 12:01 PM   #26
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
To paraphrase Charlton Heston:

They’ll have to pry my manual transmission gear lever from my cold, dead hands.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:37 PM   #27
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Electric vehicles remind me of 2001, a space odyssey. Your every move monitored by Hal.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #28
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Personally, I am for an EV DD to leave the wear and tear off the fun car.

But otherwise, a manual ICE car will be fun for me. Notice I said "fun", not "does sick 0-60 pulls".

And IDK, paying extra money to be Guinea Pigs of EV doesn't sound like the best financial idea to me, which is another reason for people to just wait. Kinda like my recent Surface Book 3 purchase. I have been attracted to Surface Book series for a while but only recently pulled the trigger. Glad that I waited as it turns out that SB and SB2 had their fair share of issues while SB3 polished most of them.

Figuring out how to put out lithium fire other than "well there is nothing we can do other than just waiting" is a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
exhaust is overrated when all it gets you in many places in harassed by cops.

the electric Camaro will sell just as well as the ice Camaro.... which is to say probably not enough to avoid the doomsday talks about its future every year.

not unless they stop listening to the old guard like they did with the current design and evolve the Camaro into something more than a few thousand people want.
That's why NPP exists, duh. Turn to Touring mode if you want to stealth. And technically, if you have stock exhaust and cops harass you for it, I would love to do a VI(only to prove the car is not modified except for the intake which is road legal) and get a few hundred bucks from a small claims court for wasted time.

And I mentioned it in another thread, but you sound like you work for BMW. Please the mass and who gives a crap about brand identity? As said, it will be a eternal juggling between keeping the identity and keeping the sale volumes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
The poor sales of the Camaro now have NOTHING to do with its engines and everything to do with the back seat and trunk room and perceived (but not real) limited visibility.

If that were the case the C8 would be collecting dust in showrooms. GM can’t make them fast enough.

Every kid still loves the sound of a small block. Fact.
Anecdotal evidence points to yes for the last statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spireland View Post
Not really. Scaling the grid is a solvable problem, plus most people charge at night when grid draw is the lowest.

The real problem is unified charging tech and urban use. If you don’t have a home it’s much harder to charge. Charging connectors are all over the place, it’s like the PC marker in the early 80s with all the compatibility issues.
I don't know, given the Texas freeze and California's rolling blackouts, there are a lot to figure out. I have recently taken a course on electrification and the later part of the course actually involves a lot of economics of power generation. And when engineering, you have to consider worst case scenarios, not hoping that everyone will charge at night. I think some sources are simplifying the process a bit.

And yeah, everything electronic has the great issue of port compatibilities. For example, most modern phones are favouring USB-C over 3.5mm ports, except some USB-C ports output analog signals(like 3.5mm) but some output digital signals that need to be converted by the headphones themselves, so not every headphones will work with every phone.

Just. Make. Them. The. Same. It's not like I go to gas station and the nozzle is different for a Chevy than a Ford or a Honda.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote