Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-04-2021, 05:41 PM   #1
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Squealing PowerStop Z26 pads

So I replaced my stock SS Brembo pads with PowerStop Z26 pads due to the ridiculous amount of dust from the OEM pads... All is good except one brake squeals when at slow speed coming to a stop, usually when it is cold... What can I do to resolve this and what are the common causes of brake squeal?
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:09 AM   #2
Jinkx

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Did you lube the pad retaining pins w synth brake grease and the side edges of the pad plates w high temp ceramic or copper brake lube (lightly)? Thats how the factory brembo pads are installed (3M Brake Lube # 08945). Permatex High Temp Brake Lube # 80653 also works great.

Squeaking can be alot of things, from a loose shim backer, to a bent squeak indicator, to the 2 things I mentioned.

Last edited by Jinkx; 04-18-2021 at 04:26 PM.
Jinkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkx View Post
Did you lube the pad retaining pins w synth brake grease and the side edges of the pad plates w copper antiseize (lightly)? Thats how the factory brembo pads are installed.

Squeaking can be alot of things, from a loose shim backer, to a bent squeak indicator, to the 2 things I mentioned.
I did lube the pins and the sides of the pads, I'll have to take it apart and do it again, drives me nuts, it is only one wheel... Next time I have it up on the QuickJacks I'll pull the wheel and see what is going on...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 04-12-2021, 02:43 PM   #4
Jinkx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I did lube the pins and the sides of the pads, I'll have to take it apart and do it again, drives me nuts, it is only one wheel... Next time I have it up on the QuickJacks I'll pull the wheel and see what is going on...
Keep me posted. Very curious to the cause. Harsh/sharp outer edges of the pad can also cause, but thats sort of old school, not sure about these new fangled pads. I used to bevel the outer edges of pads themselves just slightly to ensure pads get a clean break in and establish their own edges.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:58 PM   #5
Jinkx

As a side note it could also be a slightly bent dust shield touching the rotor. They are paper thin and bend if you look at em wrong
Old 04-30-2021, 03:31 PM   #6
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Ok, it is my front right brake, took the pads out the other day, cleaned and re-lubed up everything, seemed good, went out today and it is squealing again, only at a crawl with light brake pressure... The dust shields I currently have on are the track deflectors... Thw squealing is intermittent, doesn't do it all the time, so think it is some weird vibration on the spring clip or something...

HELP!!! Driving me nuts!

Last edited by 2SS Capt; 04-30-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:48 PM   #7
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkx View Post
As a side note it could also be a slightly bent dust shield touching the rotor. They are paper thin and bend if you look at em wrong
Ok, I THINK (HOPE) I fixed it, Jinkx you may have been on to something with the dust shield, I was going super slow (barely moving the wheels) and got it to sing, got out and pushed the dust shield inboard a bit and now I can't get it to squeal at all and tried a bunch! I'm guessing it was just close enough and the track dust shields are so tiny that any vibration from the brakes makes the shield vibrate a bit and it was probably hitting the rotor...

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll let you guys know if it returns...

Old 05-01-2021, 03:48 PM   #8
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Ok, wasn't the dust shield... Only happens when you are just creeping forward or backward with very light brake pressure... I'm pretty sure the squeal is coming from the pad contacting the rotor as the sound does change a bit as the wheel turns... It is driving me nuts and it is only my front right wheel doing this...

Old 05-01-2021, 05:40 PM   #9
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Try swapping the front pads from left wheel to right (i.e. take the driver side pad set and put them on the passenger side) and see if it follows the pads or not?
Old 05-01-2021, 05:47 PM   #10
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
Try swapping the front pads from left wheel to right (i.e. take the driver side pad set and put them on the passenger side) and see if it follows the pads or not?
Yeah, I might do that, was also thinking of just swapping the inner pad and the outer pad so if that helps at all...

Old 05-01-2021, 06:55 PM   #11
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Did you try bedding them again since the squeal started?

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:57 PM   #12
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Did you try bedding them again since the squeal started?
You know, I went out today and got them good and hot after the squeal started again, no squeal after that but didn't drive much, hopefully that will help...