Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #29
RobertSmith

Drives: Mitsubishi Evolution X
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bsaget007 View Post
2.0T 6M here. I'm genuinely impressed that some of you guys are getting better gas mileage than I am (26 MPG average per tank, ~30 MPG on my 39-mile round-trip commute to work). You guys using 87 or 93 octane?
To me, smaller turbo engines for more gas mileage are a bit of a fake-out. To get good gas mileage you have to stay out of boost. But modern turbo engines make that very difficult.

I can get get 24 mpg on my Evo X, but I have to drive it like there's an egg on the accelerator. Not fun. Babying a naturally aspirated engine is easier to do. If I drive the Evo anywhere normal I'm getting at most 19 mpg.
RobertSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #30
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmith View Post
Can we conclude that A8 gets better gas mileage than the M6?
I recall seeing even per the dealer tag, the A8 on both the V6 and even V8 models gets better fuel mileage than M6. What especially surprises me is that the V8 gets almost the exact same fuel mileage as the V6, save that it needs premium.

On the street, especially with active fuel management, 8 gears, and 2.77 rear axle gears, it would be a tall order for the M6 to surpass the A8 in terms of fuel economy.

Quote:
2.0T 6M here. I'm genuinely impressed that some of you guys are getting better gas mileage than I am (26 MPG average per tank, ~30 MPG on my 39-mile round-trip commute to work). You guys using 87 or 93 octane?
My 40 MPG run was using 87, most of the time I put 87 in. When I'm feeling lucky I'll put 93 in which seems to help slightly
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #31
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I believe the V6 models mostly came with 2.77 rear axel gears. Mine did, I'm sure there are exceptions (1LE, RS maybe, ect) but mine seems a bit laid back. The shifting on it is alittle weird.. It is almost like there are gears between gears and that its alittle too closely geared in 1st, 2nd with a big jump in 3rd then 4th thru 6th are almost useless and 7th and 8th have too big of a gap...I can't even get into 8th gear until 53 MPH absolute minimum and I feel like it holds 3rd gear and 7th gear alittle too long ... Although I don't think its the gearing that prevents it from getting good gas mileage, but how the PCM shifts. If you're on the interstate, especially while using the cruise control..you will notice it downshift from 8th to 6th on the slightest incline. This isn't really necessary, drive it in manual mode and it will hold 8th gear all day long up a 5% grade as long as you're doing 70 + MPH and yes..it DOES get better mileage even going up hill in 8th than it does by downshifting to 7th or 6th.

The thing about manual mode, is it disables Active Fuel Management when you downshift to a lower gear and it will not re-activate until its put back into auto mode. So the trick is, put it into manual mode but KEEP it in 8th gear (or 7th if you're on the street, just DON'T downshift), feather the gas to keep it using 4 cylendars, if acceleration is necessary try to do it WITHOUT downshifting. If downshifting is necessary, downshift and get up to speed quick, then switch back to auto mode and wait for it to select 7th or 8th gear and active fuel management will be re-enabled, switch back to manual mode and you're still able to use active fuel management UNTIL you downshift.. Thats how I managed to get 40 MPG out of the Automatic.

I have a trifecta tune so my shift points are a bit different from stock when in auto mode. Not sure if that improves things in terms of downshifts and such. I barely ever drove the car with the stock programming.

I can tell you that after paddle shifting for a few days.. It's oddly better than my tendency to want to shift at 5-6k at part throttle. I get such horrible mileage when i'm in manual mode

I think my ideal setup is to just be in auto and manually downshift when my slowing down and speeding up is too rapid for the downshift to register. Nothing more annoying than merging onto a highway, hit the gas and the car fails to downshift. hard to blame it though, the transmission can't read my mind (yet).
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #32
bishopski

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT | 3.6L V6 | A/T
Quote:
I use 87 only. I have run 93 in mine a few time but see ZERO difference in MPG or power (measured by my rear end).

The 4 bangers have a final ratio of 3.27 vs the V6 2.77. Thats probably why the numbers are so off.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:17 PM   #33
b0bsaget007

Drives: 2016 2LT RS Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopski View Post
I use 87 only. I have run 93 in mine a few time but see ZERO difference in MPG or power (measured by my rear end).

The 4 bangers have a final ratio of 3.27 vs the V6 2.77. Thats probably why the numbers are so off.
Well, the V6 manual also has the 3.27, only the auto V6 and SS get the 2.77 final drive.

PC: i5-6600; RX 480 4GB; 16GB DDR4; Samsung 950 PRO 512GB SSD
Car: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS 2.0T 6M Blue Velvet Metallic | ZZP Hi-Flow Catted Downpipe | Injen EVO7300 Cold Air Intake
b0bsaget007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #34
bishopski

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT | 3.6L V6 | A/T
Quote:
Well, the V6 manual also has the 3.27, only the auto V6 and SS get the 2.77 final drive.
See attached:
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2017, 09:53 PM   #35
b0bsaget007

Drives: 2016 2LT RS Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopski View Post
See attached:
Exactly what I said.

PC: i5-6600; RX 480 4GB; 16GB DDR4; Samsung 950 PRO 512GB SSD
Car: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS 2.0T 6M Blue Velvet Metallic | ZZP Hi-Flow Catted Downpipe | Injen EVO7300 Cold Air Intake
b0bsaget007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:31 PM   #36
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
I guess a little update. I haven’t looked at my MPG in a while. All highway.
Attached Images

ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:38 PM   #37
BlueVelvetCamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Dang looks like I got most of you guys beat haha! However, it was on the highway at 4am and it was 35 degrees outside. Only bolt-on is a K&N air intake, maybe that helped out a bit!
Attached Images

BlueVelvetCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:57 AM   #38
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Some of you need to put the speeds you're getting these figures from. I can see getting 40+ on a flat road doing 60 or under, but doing 70 and getting these figures when 30-32 is average for 99% of the cars is a little hard to believe.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:01 PM   #39
BlueVelvetCamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
Some of you need to put the speeds you're getting these figures from. I can see getting 40+ on a flat road doing 60 or under, but doing 70 and getting these figures when 30-32 is average for 99% of the cars is a little hard to believe.
This was around 68 on the highway.
BlueVelvetCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:35 AM   #40
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueVelvetCamaro View Post
Dang looks like I got most of you guys beat haha! However, it was on the highway at 4am and it was 35 degrees outside. Only bolt-on is a K&N air intake, maybe that helped out a bit!
My best is 47 MPG.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:46 AM   #41
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
Contrary to popular belief, MPG has nothing to do with speed.

You can do 20 MPH and get 15 MPG, or you can do 80 MPH and get 35 MPG.

What MPG has to do with is anticipating traffic conditions, the road, and applying only the fuel necessary to achieve the goal.. this doesnt mean "feather foot it" to do 45... but if you're going to do 80 MPH, and you see a sharp decline in the hill followed by a heavy incline, you know you're going to need fuel to climb that hill and you won't need fuel to go down the hill.. what you do is...

Keep applying the fuel .. don't let off as you go down the hill... your speed will increase but your fuel consumption will remain the same as you're not giving it MORE gas, you're using gravity. As you come to the bottom of the hill and prepare to climb, keep applying the same amount of throttle, by the time you're at the bottom you'll be doing 95 MPH but still be making the same fuel mileage as you were at 80 - climb the hill with the same throttle applied (do not increase throttle to match your speed, your speed matching is done by anticipating the road, not mashing the pedal.) ..you'll be doing maybe 70 by the time you reach the top but even up hill, since you did not apply more throttle, even while climbing the hill you still burned the exact same amount of fuel as you would have on flat land doing 80.

Its about anticipation and throttle planning, not about driving as slow as possible...

Also especially with the V6, Displacement on Demand magnifies the effect. If you can do all this while keeping it in 8th gear and not applying any more throttle, it will remain in V4 mode, drastically reducing your fuel consumption...

Ask me how I know:

And you can also see in this photo... I was doing 75 MPH.

I was quite surprised when I pulled this off but I actually managed to best that record with 47 MPG all highway.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #42
iarepeyton

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT V6
Lol that is impressive. I would drive myself crazy if i didn't keep a constant speed though :/
iarepeyton is offline   Reply With Quote