Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 04-30-2021, 05:09 PM   #1
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
NCM 102.5dB limit - what passes, what doesn't?

Some of us are looking at going to NCM this year. With NCM's 102.5dB limit - what passes, what doesn't without modifications? SS 1LE and / or ZL1 1LE stock, those with no secondaries, those with headers?

Any guidance and also where are the microphone(s) used, we'd appreciate it. Thanks.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:59 AM   #2
That1guy_tim

Drives: Camaro 1ss
I passed with catless headers and stock NPP. They won't tell you where the mics are. I'm pretty sure one of them is right after turn 3
Old 05-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #3
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
LS with LTH’s, hf cats, full Z28 system (2.75 vs. 2.5), an C7 x-pipe.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
RUQWIKR

ZL1 buddy is catless with stock exhaust, another LT’s with HF cats, ZL1 1LE stock system except gutted secondaries.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:25 AM   #5
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
I can't recall for certain, but as far as I know, none of the Camaros at the SCCA TT Nationals last year had an issue with sound. I'm not sure how much that helps you, but maybe gives you some context.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #6
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I can't recall for certain, but as far as I know, none of the Camaros at the SCCA TT Nationals last year had an issue with sound. I'm not sure how much that helps you, but maybe gives you some context.
Thanks - my car and my friends that are looking at going this summer up there range from loud to real loud!
Old 05-03-2021, 01:55 PM   #7
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I did.

I blew 105db in my Callaway SC630 with gutted primaries, stock secondaries, crush pipe/AFM valve delete and stock NPP. I had to close the valves about half way and hold them in place with self tapping screws. I planned for this beforehand and had the valve actuators removed and drilled holes in the rotating part that lined up with slots on the brackets so I could add the self tappers at the track. I'd do this ahead of time or be prepared to lug it out of 3 and stay all the way to the right to avoid the booth on the outside.

1 Lap 1LE did as well with long tubes into NPP. I think he dropped his muffler and added NCMs baffles they sell you into the muffler inlet pipes.

Edit: the white heads/cam SS blew sound too. I showed him what i did and he pretty much did the same thing, but because he didn't drill the holes before he went he just ran the self tapper through the side of the pipe right next to the valve flapper itself to hold it in place.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:55 PM   #8
davidwarren

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
pretty sure the limit is 103, not 102.5. It's hard to say exactly what will work because the atmosphere has a huge impact. Humidity, temp, cloud ceiling, etc... My dad was over 102.5 in the early morning this year in a stock c7 ZR1.
If you are anywhere close, it really comes down to the atmosphere.
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:29 PM   #9
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
pretty sure the limit is 103, not 102.5. It's hard to say exactly what will work because the atmosphere has a huge impact. Humidity, temp, cloud ceiling, etc... My dad was over 102.5 in the early morning this year in a stock c7 ZR1.
If you are anywhere close, it really comes down to the atmosphere.
I see Atlanta Motorsports Park (AMP) is at 98dB with multiple micrphones on both sides of the track. Glad COTA, ECR, MSR-Cresson where I usually run have no restrictions.