Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
Richroadrage

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Car keyed and I dont know what to do

Hey guys as the title states last night my car was keyed. The scratches are deep enough to have penetrated all layers of my camaro's black paint and they run on both the passenger and driver sides from the front fender to above my rear tires. I live in a gated apartment complex with middle-class to wealthy residents. I guess I have a salty neighbor who decided he/she was tired of me parking in his usual spot which isnt reserved. I don't know if I should attempt repairs on my own, pay a hefty check to get it fixed at a repair shop, or simply wrap my car at this point. I'm currently enrolled at LSU and college tuition plus rent is killing me so I'd like to avoid paying a bunch of money because someone wanted to ruin my hard-earned car.

Any advice you guys have is welcome. How much would you guys estimate repairs to be? Would it be possible to fix this myself? Would getting a ceramic clear coat on my vehicle post repairs help to insure this is unlikely to happen again? (Ik ceramic coating isn't some sort of god shield but maybe it would prevent the scratches from penetrating past my clear coat and into my paints primer again not sure)

If you have prior experience with this or even simple wise advice im all ears. Also if pictures would help then I'll happily add some to the post.
Richroadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
OK you need to take it to a detailer and see if it can be wet sanded and buffed out. That takes serious experience, don't try to DIY. If it can't be wet sanded out then you are looking at a re-paint. $750-1500 per panel.

Ceramic won't do anything for scratch protection.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #3
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Call the police and your insurance company.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
What Emoto said! That’s my advice to you!
Old 12-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #5
madscotsman

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Have you looked at your neighbors houses to see if anyone has a security system that may have captured the crime?
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #6
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
So sorry to read this! I absolutely HATE it when anyone thinks they have the right to touch someone else's property!!!

As for the damage. Are there any security cameras where you live? If so, review the recordings and go after the idiot that did this to your car. Another option is to turn it into your insurance company, pay the deductible, and get it fixed. If someone is found guilty for doing it, the insurance company will go after them for their money back. I believe it should be covered under comprehensive.

You must get it fixed. If the scratches are deep enough, rust will start. Good luck!
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #7
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Sucks but like what was already stated a police report and insurance is your best bet here. From the sounds of it... repaint is what insurance will suggest and might be 3-4K. Having your vehicle wrapped is going to be maybe a little less expensive, will definitely cover the scratches but is going to cost in the 1500-2500 range depending on the installer.
Mov Ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
HackSaw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Get a police report and then the cheapest fix will be thru your insurance. Ive heard women are more known for doing this
HackSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mov Ov3r View Post
Sucks but like what was already stated a police report and insurance is your best bet here. From the sounds of it... repaint is what insurance will suggest and might be 3-4K. Having your vehicle wrapped is going to be maybe a little less expensive, will definitely cover the scratches but is going to cost in the 1500-2500 range depending on the installer.
The Wrapper will want to fix the scratch first. Surface needs to be in good shape for a wrap.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #10
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackSaw View Post
Get a police report and then the cheapest fix will be thru your insurance. Ive heard women are more known for doing this
If it were targeted, more likely a woman. If random, likely a boy, under 13.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #11
Mov Ov3r
What speed limit?

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
The Wrapper will want to fix the scratch first. Surface needs to be in good shape for a wrap.
True, I believe they apply clear coat to level the surface if you will. Probably with the amount of contours body shapes and general size of the vehicle I would imagine closer to $2000-3000 after the scratch "fix".
Mov Ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:00 PM   #12
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Ouch. Call your insurance company. You'll have to pay your deductible and take it to a body shop. So sorry this happened.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:03 PM   #13
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
I had my rear bumper facia got keyed a year ago, I stupidly paid out of pocket. It was 700.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:04 PM   #14
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
I had my rear bumper facia got keyed a year ago, I stupidly paid out of pocket. It was 700.
You probably did the right thing paying out of pocket less than $1000.