Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #15
PsychoZL1

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
If you can afford the higher payment and afford taking the first year depreciation on a car that's not even a year old, then go for it! Just post pics of your upgrade, if you decide to go that route!
PsychoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
xkloid
ITZ COOL

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS
If you look you can find some great deals on 2012 2SS/RS with low miles, and they have already taken the depreciation hit, so you would actually not be in bad shape with the vehicle value. The 2LT is an awesome car, LFX engine is a winner.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
Qtrofablock

Drives: 12 LS M6 All Blk
I was in your boat , a couple months ago, still have the V8 bug. But I gotta do some home improvement. Go luck no matter what you do!!!!
Custom mats by Llyods/ AAC colorshift 2.0 halos ,footwells/ HID/LEDS by AAC/ Aqua interior and trunk/ Black billet upper and lower grilles/ Black billet bowties.MRT V2/Magnaflow X pipe/Rx catch can and oil breather cap/ C.A.I. Intake/Scoop/ww relocater/Hurst Short Throw Shifter

Qtrofablock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #18
Dynamite

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS XD
You could try holding on to the car for a year or so to pay off some of your loan and wait for the 2014 model to come out. Then 2013 should drop in price so you would lose less money.

I am in the same boat as you. I bought a new 2012 2LT last march and a few months later I wished I had got the V8. Now, I am just waiting for the right moment for a good deal so my monthy payment won't go up too much.

The more you put off getting a new car the more you pay off on your current car. As long as you dont run lots of miles on it you should be fine.
Dynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
if youve got the v8 bug why take a loss on a new model? Just sell your V6, and buy a used 2010 SS for ~20k.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #20
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
if youve got the v8 bug why take a loss on a new model? Just sell your V6, and buy a used 2010 SS for ~20k.
If you decide to go for the V8 then I would agree with above (or '11 if you need the HUD). But since you stated you had negative equity in the truck & now this, I would suggest that unless you have a good job & some savings already then the smart play is to live with your decision on buying the V6.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #21
krillik

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Camaro
I appreciate everyones input. It seems like the best route would be to wait a bit. I told myself at the beginning I didn't need the V8, but I should live with my decision for a bit at least I think now. It is an awesome car and has alot of power. I'm just so sick at seeing those crappy 5.0L mustangs that people think they are so cool in.

EDIT

In a V8 I wanna fly by and be like yea you suck, I dont think I can do that in my v6 :P
krillik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #22
Krozzbow

Drives: 2LT/BB 3.6 V6 6-M Jun'09 #A9100242
I still own a 2010 2LT/6Spd w/ an 4,849 on the ODO. From the beginning I wanted to trade it for a 2SS/RS 6Spd, but at the time with price gauging on the New 5thGen Camaro and the peek of the recession I had to consider to live without the extra horsepower. It has all the options of the SS w/ the Standard Leather Interior, Gauges & Trims. “As for the horsepower” I’ve seen some very impressive Mods done on the V6’s. Appreciate what you got cause it all about the ride. Horsepower is my fast lane into debt.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #23
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
This just goes to show you if you're even considering getting the SS....just get the damn SS
Old 02-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #24
Lou_Dorchen

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite View Post
You could try holding on to the car for a year or so to pay off some of your loan and wait for the 2014 model to come out. Then 2013 should drop in price so you would lose less money.

The more you put off getting a new car the more you pay off on your current car. As long as you dont run lots of miles on it you should be fine.
This is good advice. When the 2014s come out you will likely find some very good deals on new 2013s. But if you do that, be sure this time to get the car you want. When you drive a 2013 off the lot and the 2014s are out, your new car is already a one year old used car in terms of its resale value.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #25
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuice View Post
You're going to take a bath on it regardless. Theres a 20k price difference between the SS and the Stingray. Maybe a used low mileage 2012 SS? Just doesn't seem like a smart financial decision to lose your ass on a car you bought November 2012...
Well said.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #26
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
Instead of losing your arse in a trade up to an ss right now...why dont you go to vegas and blow money on strippers...either way its a bad decision

If you want an SS or a Stingray, then I would wait 18-24 months and trade it in for a used one. Enjoy what you have and when the money is right...trade up
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #27
PhoenixZL1
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'd wait for 2014's. in the mean time start saving your down payment up because you're going to take a $5k-$7k hit by trading that 2LT in.
PhoenixZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #28
Emig5m
100% Sport Møde

Drives: '17 Civic SI + '04 SVT Lightning
Just hold out. You're way too into debt to trade in. Get back into some other hobbies and you'll lose the upgrade bug and appreciate what you have more. This forum doesn't help because V8 owners here will make you feel like you have a piece of crap but the fact is the Camaro is one of the best looking vehicles on the road and the everyday person doesn't know if you have an 8 or a 6 (or even care for that matter) but just see an amazingly sharp looking car. The V8 is more about ego than anything. Yea some owners are true gear heads but most just putt around in them. Being young the 8 is more prone to make you drive like an asshole and get tickets, get into a wreck, lose your license, etc. Ask me how I know (totaled one of my Lightnings head on through a telephone pole). I've test driven many V8 Camaros now (even before purchasing my V6) and wasn't super impressed with it. For a daily driver I like the V6 better (plusher suspension, felt more balanced with a lighter motor in the front, better gas mileage, better acceleration traction in inclement weather with the softer bottom end torque). I think the V6 is a fine enough car and I'm coming from a supercharged V8 (which I still own). The only time I've ever gotten the upgrade bug is whenever I visit these forums but I've grown out of that because every time I've ever went to look at a local used V8, as soon as I'm behind the wheel of my 6, the bug goes right away because I'm actually happy with the 6. I found using the tap shifter makes the 6 a HELL OF A LOT better to drive.
Emig5m is offline   Reply With Quote