Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-18-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
DRVN1

Drives: Audi S4
ZL1 in the rain? Safe or not?

Have read about two ZL1s being wrecked in the rain. Here in Florida we get rain probably 3-5 days a week during the summer. Don’t want to buy a daily just to use in the rain. I am not getting the 1LE package. Just wondering how the car does in the rain if you are driving sensible. I think one car hydroplaned at only 45mph? That seems really slow to hydroplane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DRVN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
DRVN, you have to be more careful driving in the rain or after it has rained because of the Supercar Goodyear tires tend to hydroplane more than the tires with more tread. And of course the idiots out there that want to drive fast in the rain you have to be on the watch out for them too. My advice would be just slow down some and let the other drivers pass you if it’s raining and get a feel for the car in the wet conditions.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:22 PM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
I have hydroplaned at 40mph and 50 mph both times driving what I consider quite sensibly. That’s 2 of the three or four times I have had to drive in rain.

The oem tires excel in dry conditions, but hey will try to kill you in rain. If you’re going to daily the car in Florida, replace the goodyears for MPS4S. You can sell the GY’s easily on these forums as the oem tires are excellent track tires.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #4
DRVN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
I have hydroplaned at 40mph and 50 mph both times driving what I consider quite sensibly. That’s 2 of the three or four times I have had to drive in rain.

The oem tires excel in dry conditions, but hey will try to kill you in rain. If you’re going to daily the car in Florida, replace the goodyears for MPS4S. You can sell the GY’s easily on these forums as the oem tires are excellent track tires.

That is crazy slow! I run the 4s tires now and love them in the rain. Guess I would swap out to those.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #5
arichards46

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Tires, man, tires. My 2018 ZL1 1LE convinced me very quickly to buy a set of street wheels/tires and save the factory Goodyears, that came on it, for the track. I found a moderately wet freeway to be scary at anything over 55 mph. Hyrodplaning still a mild issue with heavily treaded Nittos I use for the street but mostly cause they're fat tires not because of the tread design.
arichards46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #6
DRVN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Greg View Post
DRVN, you have to be more careful driving in the rain or after it has rained because of the Supercar Goodyear tires tend to hydroplane more than the tires with more tread. And of course the idiots out there that want to drive fast in the rain you have to be on the watch out for them too. My advice would be just slow down some and let the other drivers pass you if it’s raining and get a feel for the car in the wet conditions.

Do you run the car in wet mode when raining? I would assume that uses the most safety functions.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
OEM tires, not recommended. Switched to PS4S and now I don't have to pretend I'm driving on ice. Also, run track mode PTM setting wet. If you run sport mode it does weird stuff and you will lose control. My car side stepped a lane in sport mode. PTM wet is amazing.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
Exorcised

Drives: 2019 black ZL1 1LE
I live in Florida and drive my ZLE daily to work on Toyo r888r’s. If you read the forums I should be dead by now with the 1-4 inch an hour down pours common here. Fact is I used to drive my C6Z06 on drag radials in the same weather as well. Slow down and manage the go pedal. Your not going to be doing 65mph in a heavy down pour. You could also slap some PS4’s on the car as they are good in the rain. Be smart and you will be fine.
Exorcised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #9
DRVN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
OEM tires, not recommended. Switched to PS4S and now I don't have to pretend I'm driving on ice. Also, run track mode PTM setting wet. If you run sport mode it does weird stuff and you will lose control. My car side stepped a lane in sport mode. PTM wet is amazing.

4S and wet setting sounds like the plan.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #10
LT4Greg

I keep mine in Sport Mode most all the time and definitely with the traction control nannies on too even in the dry conditions. Like everyone has said the tires are the factor in the wet conditions. I have had mine step out a few times driving in the rain and I just slowed down more.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #11
LT4Greg

Agree Exorcised with your reply!
Old 05-18-2019, 06:01 PM   #12
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
The wider the tire, the more the car has chances to hydroplane. The type of tire has a lot to do with it as well. I have a ZLE & picked her up in North Carolina and drove her back down to Florida on the interstate in some rain. Never had any issues. Car was running some PS4s though which are night & day difference
Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:12 PM   #13
DRVN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcised View Post
I live in Florida and drive my ZLE daily to work on Toyo r888r’s. If you read the forums I should be dead by now with the 1-4 inch an hour down pours common here. Fact is I used to drive my C6Z06 on drag radials in the same weather as well. Slow down and manage the go pedal. Your not going to be doing 65mph in a heavy down pour. You could also slap some PS4’s on the car as they are good in the rain. Be smart and you will be fine.

Didn’t expect to be doing 65 in the rain, was just thinking can’t even do 40 and not hydroplane. I will just switch out tires and keep the OEMs for the track.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #14
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
PS 4S, rain is not problem at sensible speeds. You try to throttle out, you will have bad day, so use your brain.
Attached Images

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote