Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #15
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Right but the break in is crucial for long term reliability. Over 80,000 miles. Helps to lower the risk of developing smoking, leaks, poor running, etc when the engine gets older and higher mileage.
tell that to all of the ls1 b4c cars with 200k+ miles on them. im sure they were cared for with velvet hands.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #16
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
tell that to all of the ls1 b4c cars with 200k+ miles on them. im sure they were cared for with velvet hands.
Well, you’re welcome to take that chance on your car. Most high performance cars do come with a recommended break in procedure and period from the factory, and some mfgs will even go as far as to check the computer to verify it was followed if you have a warranty issue.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #17
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Break it in like you are going to drive it long term.
Most important part of break in is varying the rpms.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:11 PM   #18
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
This, I went real easy on the car the first 500 miles, then did an oil, filter and differential change, about the next 500 miles (500-1000) I had a little fun but still drove easy... Then the last 500 miles started to have some good fun with it (1000-1500 miles), at 1,500 miles it got another oil, filter and differential change, I honestly think the engine is broken in by 500 miles (and apparently GM does to if they say you can track it at that point!)

My thought it, drive it easy until at least 500 miles or your first oil change (whichever comes last) after that don't totally beat up on it, but go out and enjoy it...
I got the 500-mile oil change per the Track Prep guide, haven't got to the diff yet since I am waiting on the ZL1 Addon jack pads. I will probably change it at 1500 miles/2400 km.

Track Prep guide did mention not to do any track days or competitions until 1500 miles just like the Owner's Manual.

Quote:
Well, you’re welcome to take that chance on your car. Most high performance cars do come with a recommended break in procedure and period from the factory, and some mfgs will even go as far as to check the computer to verify it was followed if you have a warranty issue.
Same here, I want to be on the safe side of things. It's frustrating in the beginning but it's all for the greater good.

Honda/Acura NSX supposedly come broken in, as they hook the engine up to a load simulation machine that runs it at varying loads before they load it into the car. Honda/Acura says they want you to be able to enjoy the car on a track right after you grab the key. That's a CAN$200+k car, though, so I am not expecting this on a Camaro or even a Corvette. I wonder if they can do it as an option, though, for those impatient. Pay $1k to have the factory break-in done, and you can drive it as hard as you can right out of the door!

Then again, I think most people will think of it as unnecessary so it's probably not a good business opportunity.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 05-30-2020 at 06:27 PM.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:30 PM   #19
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
@ Petrol Head - I had the same situation when I was breaking in my seldom driven 2013 ZL1. My solution was two weekends of ~five hour scenic cruises with my wife.

We drove 190 miles, had lunch and a hiked, and then drove home.

Highway stints varying gear/speed. I also exited every ~50 miles and immediately got back on shifting at 4,000 rpm.

At 1,500 miles I changed the rear differential fluid, and the oil, and then when to Great Lakes Dragaway and made five passes the next day ...wide open

Perfect

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 05-30-2020 at 05:46 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #20
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Right but the break in is crucial for long term reliability. Over 80,000 miles. Helps to lower the risk of developing smoking, leaks, poor running, etc when the engine gets older and higher mileage.
These are massed produced engines in a very mild state of tune. Just driving them like you normally do won’t effect long term reliability. If brake in was super important it would be programmed into the computer with a rev limiter and timing pulled out of the map for a set number of hours. You also would see a ton of low mile cars with junk engines and you don’t. IMO warming the car up Before railing on it is more important than driving it goofy to brake it in.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #21
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Keep doing what you are doing Petrol Head. Don’t listen to some folks here because it’s your car and you break it in like you want to!��
Old 05-30-2020, 07:54 PM   #22
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr8000 View Post
These are massed produced engines in a very mild state of tune. Just driving them like you normally do won’t effect long term reliability. If brake in was super important it would be programmed into the computer with a rev limiter and timing pulled out of the map for a set number of hours. You also would see a ton of low mile cars with junk engines and you don’t. IMO warming the car up Before railing on it is more important than driving it goofy to brake it in.
I think the new C8 has that feature where you are limited to what you can do with it until the break-in period is over. But, maybe I heard wrong.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:32 PM   #23
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by caSStro18 View Post
I think the new C8 has that feature where you are limited to what you can do with it until the break-in period is over. But, maybe I heard wrong.
C7 supposedly already has a yellow line that limits the RPM until the 1st oil change.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:13 AM   #24
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
C7 supposedly already has a yellow line that limits the RPM until the 1st oil change.
It’s really not a bad idea for performance cars. I doubt there is much need for something like that on a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry though. If I were the manufacturer, I’d want something like that because it would likely save the company some money in warranty claims.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 05:55 AM   #25
jam73660

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE
I have a 2020 SS 1LE. The break in instructions in the manual states no higher than 4000 RPMs and no greater than 80 MPH for the first 1500 miles. It does seems excessive vs. any other car I have ever had but continuing to follow it and now up to 900 miles....
jam73660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:45 AM   #26
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Meh. I drove mine like it was meant to be driven
If shes going to die early she needs to do it while it's still under warranty. After everything loosened up it drives strong. No regrets here.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:49 AM   #27
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Thankfully I get a pass on this since the first 430 miles on mine were from a dealer trade. My dealer has it documented and Onstar has it as well since first activation of my account was shown at 430 something miles on the odomenter. I say this because the one who went to get it put it in cruise the entire journey back to the dealer from Illinois. That being said the advisor said GM normally doesn't look at this as far as warranty claims go that he has seen in the 15 years he been there. Either way I am covered. I still personally would adhere to the break in period I did after I got mine at 430ish miiles. Better safe than sorry. If a manual doesn't say anything though like our Honda I just drive it normally with some spirited accelerations here and there.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:04 AM   #28
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
I followed the break in procedure but I drove mine to work, it's my daily so it makes the drive there a lot more fun.
Get out and drive that thing
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote