Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-18-2020, 04:51 AM   #15
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayblueSS View Post
Is it ok to use detail spray and a microfiber towel? Just to remove dust.
Yes

Detail Sprays will have gloss enhancers in them; from silicone to carnauba, to SiO2 Detail Sprays will not have much, if any lubricating/cleaning additives.

Waterless or Rinseless Washes will have lubricants in them that will help to encapsulate dust and light dirt to help lift them away from the paint surface and into the towel. They'll not have as much, if any gloss enhancers.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #16
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayblueSS View Post
Is it ok to use detail spray and a microfiber towel? Just to remove dust.
It depends upon how much dust has accumulated on the surface. Only for light dust.
You will want to use a long knap towel, just dragging it across the surface, no downward pressure at all. Spray the detail spray on the towel.

While detail sprays don't generally contain cleaning agents, they most definitely do have lubricants.

None of them have silicone, but many have silica. Two totally different substances.

Waterless Wash is your best option,,,,,,best quality vs. price product I've found is Ultima Waterless Wash Plus Concentrate. Optimum No Rinse is also a good product that is inexpensive.

If you want a detail spray that reduces dust accumulation, Kenotek Pro Showroom Shine is it. Leaves an anti-static surface. It is expensive though.

Rag Company Everest 1100 towels are great for waterless washes, and the best value for quality long knap towel on the market.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 02:24 PM   #17
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
The California duster is much better. Only used it twice so with the occasional piece of wax come off and no shedding fibers all over the place. Night and day difference.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #18
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
It depends upon how much dust has accumulated on the surface. Only for light dust.
You will want to use a long knap towel, just dragging it across the surface, no downward pressure at all. Spray the detail spray on the towel.

While detail sprays don't generally contain cleaning agents, they most definitely do have lubricants.

None of them have silicone, but many have silica. Two totally different substances.

Waterless Wash is your best option,,,,,,best quality vs. price product I've found is Ultima Waterless Wash Plus Concentrate. Optimum No Rinse is also a good product that is inexpensive.

If you want a detail spray that reduces dust accumulation, Kenotek Pro Showroom Shine is it. Leaves an anti-static surface. It is expensive though.

Rag Company Everest 1100 towels are great for waterless washes, and the best value for quality long knap towel on the market.
Thanks, I need to pick up some waterless wash.
12.391 112 MPH 10/05/19
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:48 PM   #19
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
I had been using a California Duster for a long time and always wondered way I had swirls. While at Camarofest in Indy I saw a Adams demonstration on how much damage I was doing to my paint with dusters. (Pollen is the worst thing to dust off) I did a paint correction and stop using them. I also learned how to wash and care for my paint after the correction and noticed fewer swirls and longer times between paint corrections.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:41 PM   #20
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD DAB View Post
I had been using a California Duster for a long time and always wondered way I had swirls. While at Camarofest in Indy I saw a Adams demonstration on how much damage I was doing to my paint with dusters. (Pollen is the worst thing to dust off) I did a paint correction and stop using them. I also learned how to wash and care for my paint after the correction and noticed fewer swirls and longer times between paint corrections.
It's all about how you use it, and using it only for it's intended purpose.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:14 PM   #21
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
IDK but I've never created swirl marks on any car I've dusted. Of course, I've never seen the need to ceramic coat any vehicle of mine either. Hard to teach a old dog new tricks thing I guess? But none of this has anything to do with the thread really.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:13 AM   #22
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Quote:
There you go, perfect reply!

There's no way you're not marring the paint some, by dragging something across it filled with dry dust, dirt, or pollen. Sometimes it takes someone else to point the actual marring/swirls out to you for you to understand what damage has been done. Once seen it can't be unseen.

Proper wash techniques and more modern methods of getting the dust off your paint (read Waterless Wash) will help to keep your paint its best.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:24 AM   #23
Joe M 2012 2SS

There is a way to use a California Duster and not cause damage to paint. It's the proper way to use it, explained in the video posted.

You can do a 2 bucket wash, a rinseless wash, or waterless wash.
If you don't perform them with the proper technique, you will cause damage to your paint.

People who swirl up their paint with a CD do so because they don't use it properly, for it's intended purpose.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:28 PM   #24
Ernie70

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro 1LT
Quote:

AHh Joe , I bought some of 1100 towels from reading your post , and received them today. WOW , I LOVE these towels. They worked great with my dry wash. Going to need to get more lol . Thanks for the advice! Now the only challenge is to keep the wife from taking them to use as bath towels lol,!
Ernie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:03 AM   #25
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie70 View Post
AHh Joe , I bought some of 1100 towels from reading your post , and received them today. WOW , I LOVE these towels. They worked great with my dry wash. Going to need to get more lol . Thanks for the advice! Now the only challenge is to keep the wife from taking them to use as bath towels lol,!
I just looked at the Rag Company website and they have a 15% off sale on. I need more towels like I need a hole in the head. I have hundreds of them!

Once your wife gets hold of these, you will lose them. That's just how that deal goes.

On your next order, get her a couple each of the make-up removal towels, facial towels, and hair turbans. Your more likely to keep your 1100's this way.

Don't wash any of the RC towels with regular detergents, use a free & clear soap. I like Purex, inexpensive and works great. Every few washes add an ounce of distilled white vinegar to the rinse cycle. This will keep them soft as new.

Don't mix them with cotton towels, or you'll end up with lint all over them. Never run them in the dryer, just let them air dry. They will last years this way.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 05-24-2020 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:14 PM   #26
Ernie70

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro 1LT
Quote:
I just looked at the Rag Company website and they have a 15% off sale on. I need more towels like I need a hole in the head. I have hundreds of them!

Once your wife gets hold of these, you will lose them. That's just how that deal goes.

On your next order, get her a couple each of the make-up removal towels, facial towels, and hair turbans. Your more likely to keep your 1100's this way.

Don't wash any of the RC towels with regular detergents, use a free & clear soap. I like Purex, inexpensive and works great. Every few washes add an ounce of distilled white vinegar to the rinse cycle. This will keep them soft as new.

Don't mix them with cotton towels, or you'll end up with lint all over them. Never run them in the dryer, just let them air dry. They will last years this way.

Great advice thank you ! Yeah I learned the hard way with regular microfibers to not wash and dry with cotton towels. I also use microfibers on lighting lenses that I clean and maintain in production and night club. I was getting alot of lent off the microfibers onto the lenses and I figured it out the problem pretty quick lol

I saw the sale and snapped up 3 to try out , and now to never look back lol . Even for the wife , I will look for facial towels lol !
Ernie70 is offline   Reply With Quote