Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-20-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
SilverHokie

Drives: 86 Camaro IROC LG4, 16 Subaru WRX
Skip-shift bypass installed?

Hi,

Just brought home a 2016 2SS manual. While driving I frequently get the message to shift from 1 - 4 to save gas, but I'm able to shift to second and all other gears.

I know about the doo-hickey that will disable the forced shifting. Given that I can shift into any gear when this message displays, is it a safe assumption the doodad was installed?

(Yes, I know my IROC is not a 5th nor a 6th gen. I'm here as I am thinking about a newer convertible and I know from experience most of the Camaro forum members are helpful and understanding.... right?!?)
SilverHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
Jb54

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS M6
Yes
Jb54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:35 PM   #3
threetime
*PIMP*

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHokie View Post
Hi,

Just brought home a 2016 2SS manual. While driving I frequently get the message to shift from 1 - 4 to save gas, but I'm able to shift to second and all other gears.

I know about the doo-hickey that will disable the forced shifting. Given that I can shift into any gear when this message displays, is it a safe assumption the doodad was installed?

I got an 18 and same for me. I was also wondering if mine has it.
threetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:23 PM   #4
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
The second gear lockout only happens on a first to second shift between 14-19 mph (that's the lock out speed range). Make sure to try only on a fully warmed engine. The lock out is disabled on a cold engine. Also the feature does not engage except when accelerating from a stop in first and then making the shift to second between those speeds. If you are rolling to a stop, down shift to first but do not come to a complete stop and then accelerate again and shift up to second - it will not engage regardless of speed.

If you can shift from first to second between 14-19 mph on a warm engine from a dead stop then the skip shift eliminator is installed.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:01 AM   #5
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
You can very easily be in the small space in speed and throttle to trip the light (system) and then just enough to mechanically not be locked out, either. By the time the system senses it and triggers the warning you've already passed through the point of not being locked out.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:09 PM   #6
SilverHokie

Drives: 86 Camaro IROC LG4, 16 Subaru WRX
So apparently the doodad is NOT installed as when I was drive ng slowly around town every start forced me to fourth.

(Yes, I know my IROC is not a 5th nor a 6th gen. I'm here as I am thinking about a newer convertible and I know from experience most of the Camaro forum members are helpful and understanding.... right?!?)
SilverHokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:19 AM   #7
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHokie View Post
So apparently the doodad is NOT installed as when I was drive ng slowly around town every start forced me to fourth.
That's too bad. I have not bothered with disabling it. I just drive around it. If you hold first gear until 2K rpm (20 mph) you can shift to second with no lockout even if the message is still there (it lags a little before it extinguishes).

If you forget and it catches you just shift to third - that bogs the engine less than to fourth (which is what the device is trying to force). The whole mess is part of how GM gets our big 6.2 liter engines to pass EPA standards and avoid a gas guzzler tax.

If you ever add performance mods that require a tune then have the tuner disable it in the ECU software. That way you don't get the lockout or the message. With the "doodad" installed you still get the message - just no lockout.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:40 AM   #8
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Liking the 1-3 suggestion for less wear and tear on the trans rather than unnecessarily going into 2nd. These cars don’t have a high Reving hamster wheel engine. Utilize the stump pulling torque

If ur in north jersey I’ll give u a skip shift module
Old 05-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #9
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Alter your driving just a little bit and there's no need to for that thing. Then if you drive that way, you deserve the pain of a skip shift, too.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:49 PM   #10
Noize

Drives: 2020 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
Alter your driving just a little bit and there's no need to for that thing. Then if you drive that way, you deserve the pain of a skip shift, too.
I hear this a lot, but I couldn’t disagree more. If I’m driving in heavy traffic, I don’t want to hold first gear to 20mph aka 2500rpm to avoid skip shift.

I added the eliminator within two weeks of ownership, because it was driving me nuts. Revving higher or using more throttle to avoid it will give you worse fuel economy then having a skip shift eliminator installed for sure.

Chevrolet should follow Dodge’s example and only have it active in Touring mode. Then we could just all drive in Sport or Track all the time.
Noize is offline   Reply With Quote