Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 03-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #1
Camaro'd

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
What Track Pads are Hardest on the Rotors?

Funny question, right?

Pretty much all the racing pad manufacturers tout their friction materials as being the"easiest" on rotors.

That may be good for you guys with BBK's that don't want to change rotors due to cost, but I'm wondering of the type of pads that put grooves in your rotors might be a good thing as I run the base SS front brakes. Rotors are 40 bucks!! Hear me out...

My brother runs a Cayman S. His Porsche pads wear deep grooves in his front rotors, and appear to leave very little transfer layer. According to him, he rarely has problems with deposits that cause brake judder.

Now, this all could be that the brakes on his car are of sufficient thermal capacity so that the rotors don't get hot enough to cause the cementite in the first place. But, I'd like to experiment and try a pad the will cut the rotors like a vinyl LP.

Let me know what you think!
Camaro'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:59 AM   #2
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
I have had fantastic luck with Hawk DCT-70's on stock SS 4-pots. For me, they leave a nice transfer layer and wore my rotors evenly. They will get heat checked, have not had any grooving. Only one time did I have any "judder" which cleaned up (off) with some high speed braking with the pads, and rotors, at higher temp. I was running DCT-70 front and DCT-60 rears at the time. I have since gone DCT-70 all around towards the later half of last season that I'm really liking. Note.. you will cook dust seals. I have acquired some high temp boots and cut stainless steel pistons from Racingbrake.com to test this season. Will they last? IDK. I also run Ti shims as well. Thats my experience with Hawks anyways.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
Camaro'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
I have had fantastic luck with Hawk DCT-70's on stock SS 4-pots. For me, they leave a nice transfer layer and wore my rotors evenly. They will get heat checked, have not had any grooving. Only one time did I have any "judder" which cleaned up (off) with some high speed braking with the pads, and rotors, at higher temp. I was running DCT-70 front and DCT-60 rears at the time. I have since gone DCT-70 all around towards the later half of last season that I'm really liking. Note.. you will cook dust seals. I have acquired some high temp boots and cut stainless steel pistons from Racingbrake.com to test this season. Will they last? IDK. I also run Ti shims as well. Thats my experience with Hawks anyways.
Thanks.

I just bought new ST43's to replace my old ones. I've had ok luck with the ST43's, except for the deposits. Maybe next year I'll try the Hawks. Also doing camber plates this year and some SS brake lines.

I've purchased two new calipers (they're pretty cheap new), so I'll have the old ones to put that hi-temp kit in and have those on the shelf for spares.

You going to the COM test and tune at Palmer? I'm the other Camaro guy there (gray SS)- you know, the one you pass all the time!
Old 03-06-2020, 04:57 PM   #4
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro'd View Post
Thanks.

I just bought new ST43's to replace my old ones. I've had ok luck with the ST43's, except for the deposits. Maybe next year I'll try the Hawks. Also doing camber plates this year and some SS brake lines.

I've purchased two new calipers (they're pretty cheap new), so I'll have the old ones to put that hi-temp kit in and have those on the shelf for spares.

You going to the COM test and tune at Palmer? I'm the other Camaro guy there (gray SS)- you know, the one you pass all the time!
FYI, DTCs are harsher on the rotors than Raybestos. Raybestos pads are the best on rotors in their category
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:05 PM   #5
driven2exceSS

Quote:
Thanks.

HEY!!! That made me laugh!! Welcome to the forum btw Yes, I have been thinking about April 11th, but I'm most certainly planning on making all the TT's again this season! Which camber plates and SS lines did you go with? Did you do anything else to the car over the winter??
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)

Last edited by driven2exceSS; 03-06-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #6
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
I bet the new DTC80s would be pretty rough on the rotor surface. DTC70s have served me well and don't feel the need to try anything more aggressive. G-LOCK pads were nicer to the rotors than Hawk DTC but produce less brake torque.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:15 PM   #7
Camaro'd

Thanks. I went with Vorshlag for the camber plates and picked up a set of Goodridge lines. Didn't do anything else to the car this winter, though still thinking about that GM lowering suspension package. You? Did you get your trans straightened out?
Old 03-07-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
driven2exceSS

Quote:
Thanks. I went with Vorshlag for the camber plates and picked up a set of Goodridge lines. Didn't do anything else to the car this winter, though still thinking about that GM lowering suspension package. You? Did you get your trans straightened out?
Solid choices. I believe the trans has been fixed after two attempts at different dealerships, although I have been dealing with a slight leak. Not sure if they overfilled the damn thing again! I was able to take it to NJMP-thunderbolt at the very end of the season (Nov 16/17) and it drove great with no "limp" mode. Im going to check the trans fluid level myself and go from there. I did add a Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air intake scoop, QA1 DS, and am doing the caliper High Temp upgrade from Racingbrake. Did you take it to FasTrack Auto for the alignment?
Old 03-07-2020, 06:37 PM   #9
Camaro'd

Waiting on the delivery of the camber plates before I bring into Fastrack. They were out of spring perches so they had to manufacture. They should be shipping on the 10th. Did you have them do a corner balance there? If so, did you notice a difference?

Glad to hear the trans seems to be sorted out! Overall, it's pretty amazing the abuse these cars can take!!
Old 03-07-2020, 07:45 PM   #10
driven2exceSS

Quote:
Waiting on the delivery of the camber plates before I bring into Fastrack. They were out of spring perches so they had to manufacture. They should be shipping on the 10th. Did you have them do a corner balance there? If so, did you notice a difference?

Glad to hear the trans seems to be sorted out! Overall, it's pretty amazing the abuse these cars can take!!
I've done a few 4-wheel track alignments with Scott. He does ballast for your driver weight or asks you sit in the seat while he does it. I can't speak on the corner balancing. Do you have adjustable coil overs? Is this becoming a dedicated track car? Some reason I thought it was also your DD?
Old 03-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #11
Camaro'd

Sort of daily driver. Recently picked up a new Silverado, so "daily driver" is still under contemplation!

It still has the stock suspension which I'm ok with for now. If I do upgrade, it will be the GM suspension full kit. I don't think I'd want the hassle of messing around with coilovers and the ride height tuning, fine damping adjustments, etc. It literally would drive me nuts chasing after those adjustments.

The reason for the camber plates is since I starting running 285 Nittos rather than RE71's, I now get some rubbing on the lower spring perch. I think the Nittos are a tad wider. Scott has slotted the lower strut holes to get the desired 3.2 degrees of neg camber I was looking for up front. Camber plates will fix that.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #12
driven2exceSS

I see. Well, hoping the weather is nice and dry for the 11th at Palmer!
Old 05-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #13
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Where do you guys purchase your Ti shims from?
I tried doing a search, but came up with only one place called hardbrakes.
However, I did not see anything for a 2017 SS 1LE.

Disregard..I found it on KNS.

Last edited by OVRKLL; 05-03-2020 at 01:18 PM.
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote