Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Phastek Performance

Old 04-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #29
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarscientist View Post
for anyone that has had their top replaced, did they have to take apart the interior at all? and if so, how well was it put back together?
Nothing done to the interior that I could tell. Of course, the mechanics had to access the top attachment points on the top's frame mechanism. But no seat removal or interior trim panel removal required.

I found no damage to my car, inside or out.

My interior was a little dirty afterwards, but, I knew that would happen.

--KLG--
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:36 AM   #30
guitarscientist

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLG View Post
Nothing done to the interior that I could tell. Of course, the mechanics had to access the top attachment points on the top's frame mechanism. But no seat removal or interior trim panel removal required.

I found no damage to my car, inside or out.

My interior was a little dirty afterwards, but, I knew that would happen.

--KLG--
Interesting. I was told my my dealer that they will have to "send it out" to have my top replaced because they cant do it there. said they replaced only one before and it didnt go so well and they need to find someone that can do interior work. said they have to take apart the interior. I found that odd and am a bit concerned. They ordered the top already. Im wondering if I should take it to a different dealer.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #31
JoeGSr

Drives: 2017 LS Convertible
Quote:
Interesting. I was told my my dealer that they will have to "send it out" to have my top replaced because they cant do it there. said they replaced only one before and it didnt go so well and they need to find someone that can do interior work. said they have to take apart the interior. I found that odd and am a bit concerned. They ordered the top already. Im wondering if I should take it to a different dealer.
We just had the top replaced and the dealer sent it to an upholsterer for the work.
JoeGSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #32
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
My car had the essentially the same mileage as when I dropped it off for the work, so it was not driven anywhere.

Perhaps the dealership had the upholstery shop send someone to do the work at the dealership.

--KLG--
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #33
SSaltlife

Drives: '17 2SS Convertible 6M
Glad I found this-I just noticed that my back glass is separating at the corner of the glass and top. I had so many top issues with my '12 and I was hoping to avoid it with the '17. Did anyone ever find the TSB on this issue?
SSaltlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:55 PM   #34
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Had my wife’s car in for a top replacement at a local convertible repair shop. He mentioned he just replaced a top on a brand new camaro (unsold) for a local dealer because the glass came unglued. He said he suspected that it was because someone (dealer or tint shop) used a solvent to clean the rear glass and it damaged/dissolved the urethane glue.

YMMV.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:43 PM   #35
SSaltlife

I have an appointment with my dealer on Thursday AM. I will keep ya'll posted. I had a hellacious time with my '12 vert top, although my dealer service was superb, it was a long process to get it fixed. I've relocated since and I am hoping the new dealership will live up to my experience with Sir Walter Chevrolet.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:50 PM   #36
CamaroSS50

Drives: 2017 Camaro Convertible SS Fifty
Oh Man...

Saw this thread, went to look at mine & it is has the same issue.

In fact, it seems to be popping up.

Just 30 days & 500 miles.

Where is this TSB?

CamaroSS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:06 PM   #37
CamaroSS50

Searched for the TSB.

Not completely sure this is it, but it was issued on April 30th, 2018.

TSB #17NA216
NHTSA ID #10137486
APRIL 30 2018

Summary: This technical bulletin provides repair information to correct a customer concern of the convertible top back glass separating from top cover material.

I am looking for the actual TSB, but no luck thus far. I do not know what remedy is suggested.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #38
SSaltlife

Had my appointment at the dealership today. They will be replacing my top after the holiday. My service advisor said they have done a few replacements for this issue and that there is a bulletin for this problem (and it will be handled at the dealership). They also have to replace the spring mechanism for the sliding flap that opens/closes when the top retracts/raises (there is a different thread on this issue). After explaining my experience with my '12 he assured me that these tops are a)much better overall and b)easer to replace. I will keep everyone updated! Fingers crossed and popping lots of Pepcid!
Old 06-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #39
The Alien

Drives: 2017 2SS Covertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
Wonder if there is any correlation with this failure between certain geological climate zones and being garaged verses not garaged?

my two cents is a combination of poor quality for the adhesive and driving with the top up and windows down.

I've noticed while I drive mine in this 'configuration' , from the rear mirror I see a lot of movement from the rear section of the top, it seems the air that comes inside generates an interesting pressure level and the weakest point is the rear glass , since it's glued from the outside.

I used to have a Mustang convertible and the top I've replaced (the original was old and gone) had the double layer (inside and outside) around the glass, it looked more resistant.

when I was shopping for my Camaro last month I found two convertibles to the dealer lot and both had the rear glass coming out.
Honestly it scares me a lot and I was almost going to give up on a Camaro vert. When I found mine, on another chevy dealer, I ran on the back checking the glass
The Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:03 AM   #40
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
my two cents is a combination of poor quality for the adhesive and driving with the top up and windows down.

I've noticed while I drive mine in this 'configuration' , from the rear mirror I see a lot of movement from the rear section of the top, it seems the air that comes inside generates an interesting pressure level and the weakest point is the rear glass , since it's glued from the outside.

I used to have a Mustang convertible and the top I've replaced (the original was old and gone) had the double layer (inside and outside) around the glass, it looked more resistant.

when I was shopping for my Camaro last month I found two convertibles to the dealer lot and both had the rear glass coming out.
Honestly it scares me a lot and I was almost going to give up on a Camaro vert. When I found mine, on another chevy dealer, I ran on the back checking the glass
I wondered if that's what did it to mine (driving with windows down & top up), but then I've seen new ones on the lots with the same issue. I think it's just poor adhesive. Too many of us had issues with our 12-13's and this is starting to cause me to have doubts about any Chevrolet convertible products again.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:05 PM   #41
CamaroSS50

Went to the dealer today, for about of other issues, which they are ordering parts for. In addition to those parts they are now ordering a completely new top due to the top beginning to "delaminate."

By the time they are done with my car, it will have all new parts to worry about...

Old 08-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #42
Rich Alsip

Drives: 2016 2SS convertible black
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
Those of you that got your tops replaced - Is this what your windows looked like?
Exactly what mine looked like, dealer replaced whole top , under warranty
Rich Alsip is offline   Reply With Quote