Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 04-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
Weird Brake Issue

Got some powerstop rotors installed recently and I have a weird scenario happening that makes no sense to me.

When braking and under any type of elevation change (bump, unevenness in the road) I get a pulsing almost grinding sound out of the left front wheel. Does not happen under regular braking or hard braking.

To make things odder, if I go in my driveway there's a big bump and I've tried to make it reproduce it there but it won't do it. Guess because the car is barely moving.

Any ideas? This one has me puzzled?

Going to bring it back to Chevy once this COVID-19 thing is over since they installed them but it's driving my crazy right now.
2017 50th Anniversary 2LT\RS - #1583 SOLD
2017 50th Anniversary 2SS - #3410
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #2
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Caliper bolt(s) loose? Braking the caliper would "brace" against the bolt structure, but would be free to move around under other conditions. Either that or a mis-sized rotor and brake flex, but that seems unlikely?

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #3
Billabongi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Caliper bolt(s) loose? Braking the caliper would "brace" against the bolt structure, but would be free to move around under other conditions. Either that or a mis-sized rotor and brake flex, but that seems unlikely?

Didn't think of that, would expect that to occur in normal or hard braking but maybe the bump combined with the braking is shifting the caliper.

Will check that out here shortly.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:56 AM   #4
cmfhsu

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Does it almost sound like a "cracking" when you get on it hard?

My 1LE has that after a winter's worth of driving - I've chalked it to the rotor having some pad deposits from sitting with salt for so long - I'm guessing it's causing a slight movement in the pads & the pads moving against the retainer spring is causing a regular springy noise (also on the drivers' side, interestingly). It seems to be getting better now I've started driving it more.
cmfhsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
Billabongi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfhsu View Post
Does it almost sound like a "cracking" when you get on it hard?

My 1LE has that after a winter's worth of driving - I've chalked it to the rotor having some pad deposits from sitting with salt for so long - I'm guessing it's causing a slight movement in the pads & the pads moving against the retainer spring is causing a regular springy noise (also on the drivers' side, interestingly). It seems to be getting better now I've started driving it more.

Not at all, makes no peep in regular or hard braking. It only makes the sound when braking and a bump or even in a small change in the road.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:56 PM   #6
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billabongi View Post
Not at all, makes no peep in regular or hard braking. It only makes the sound when braking and a bump or even in a small change in the road.
Any resolution?

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote