Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

AWE Tuning

Old 04-06-2022, 09:52 PM   #1
kp_19_ss

Drives: 2019 camaro 2ss
Question 10 speed with converter not acting right

I recently got a .635 cam, .660 lifters a 3500-4000 circle D converter and basic supporting stuff. I've had the car back for about a month and am having issues that are gradually getting worse. It was perfectly fine when I picked it up. During normal in-town driving, it is just fine. Every now and then tho, it's like the clutch falls in between gears? There is zero throttle response whatsoever, not even a rev, until it engages again. Also, the D gear indicater flashes. Another issue is in part throttle, it is very... jumpy? It'll stall to 4k for a sec, increase to 5k and lunge soooo hard back and forth multiple times throughout the whole entire gear or until I let out of it. I wish I could post a video to show yall bc idk how to describe it too well. Also, at the track, I made the very first pass on it and it hit the rev limiter in 1st and refused to shift into second. Sorry this is so long but I need answers😭 I got the parts installed by Gwatney Performance. Ryan said the trans temp stayed perfectly normal during inspection but the fluid was severely discolored after only a month. No metal shavings tho
kp_19_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:17 AM   #2
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
I just put in a 3k stall on mine and have been working on the tune... What adjustments were made to your trans tune? Hitting the rev limiter could be due to shift mph and/or shift rpm set too high for your converter. Hard to say if it could be a tune issue or mechanical issue. Likely a tune issue that may or may not have caused clutchpack damage... pressures and apply rates should probably have been increased to compensate for higher power and torque due to engine changes and increased stall speed. Trans fluid level would be the first thing to check if you suspect slip. Also, hp tuners can log some useful params for the trans. This includes tc/tcc slip, as well as trans internal slip. In other words, you should be able to tell if the slip is occurring between the trans input shaft and output shaft (disregarding tc slip).

The discolored fluid could be an indication of a mechanical issue, but the root cause could be a misconfigured tune.

I'm a noob with the tuning stuff, but pretty solid with mechanical aspects, but take anything i say with a grain of salt and do at your own risk. If it were my car, id ensure (via the tune) the tc clutch is locking up normally, as it would under stock conditions to take excessive tc slip mucking with the rest of the tune/system out of the picture.... then drop your shift mph and shift rpm down significantly at least for WOT to limit potential damage, then just do some easy pulls while logging and look at the slip at various points in the system. The fact its getting worse could indicate some clutchpack damage was already done.
CircleD 3K Stall | QA1 CF Driveshaft
Forgestar F14 Drag 17x10 NT555R2 305/45/17 Rear
Forgestar F14 18x8 NT555G2 235/50/18 Front
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
??.??@??? w/3.7" pulley (installed & tuning)
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:39 PM   #3
WillyZ83

Drives: 18 zl1 garnet red
In for info since I may be putting a cam and converter in soon
WillyZ83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:32 AM   #4
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
Also flashing D prob indicates limp mode due to hitting rev limiter.
CircleD 3K Stall | QA1 CF Driveshaft
Forgestar F14 Drag 17x10 NT555R2 305/45/17 Rear
Forgestar F14 18x8 NT555G2 235/50/18 Front
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
??.??@??? w/3.7" pulley (installed & tuning)
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 09:54 PM   #5
kp_19_ss

Drives: 2019 camaro 2ss
Sorry it's been over a year since your response. Yes, it was a tune issue. Come to find out, the tcm was never tuned at all. It had a stock tune in it the whole time which is what caused it to burn up. We are working now to get the correct tune installed. If you have any advice as to why my tcm isn't responding to new tunes, I just made a new post about that.. thanks tho!!
kp_19_ss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic, converter, help me, rev limiter