Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 01-14-2021, 12:31 PM   #29
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
nothing like a pic of a Camaro with the top down in the summer.
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:31 AM   #30
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
So... Im new to a convertible top car. But Ive had boats in salt water for decades. Several have had fabric enclosures or actual tops. I never keep the center console enclosures on all season and they stay in the garage most of the year. The more they are used. The more they deteriorate. Salt and sun vs the fabric. I never leave the boat covered with salt spray. It gets rinsed every time it comes in. All the fabrics on the boat are made for use in marine environments and they all deteriorate. I think more from sun than anything. They will all be the first things needing replacement for cosmetic reasons. My current boat is a 2013 center console and in NJ its only in the water 3 or 4 months a year and several bolsters are needing replacement while the rest of the boat looks as new due to twice yearly professional waxing. Ive never been aware of any true waterproofing applications for the boat vinyl. But I use some interior cleaner protectants with UV protectants. My canvas is in great shape after 8 years on the water because of cleaning and being indoors.
The Camaro is going to be a daily driver for a few years and will be outside 100% of the time. It has 400 miles on it and its been waxed. It will be waxed at least twice a year with some of the new "ceramic" tech hand applications on the market now.
And I already bought the Raggtop product for the top. Ill do that in the spring or summer. At least once a year. If it beads up and remains waterproof as opposed to water soaking in... that has to be better than allowing water and contaminants to soak into the fabric. Unless theres chemicals in the product thats harmful. The cars small so its easy to wax. And the top is very small. Its worth an hour or two.
After washing and waxing my Superduty its a breeze.
MR's 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:50 PM   #31
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchevy View Post
I give it 2 coats of 303 Fabric Guard every spring clean up. I use the liquid and apply it with a small foam paint roller.
Is that Presque Isle, MI?
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:13 PM   #32
Speak99

I put on this new Chemical Guys hydro thread. Was like $50 for that stupid thing. Almost all gone after i applied two coats.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2021, 07:44 AM   #33
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
I have a co-worker that uses Chemical Guys stuff on his cars for all of the various cleaning and care... He sent me a list of the "basics" to get started using their products when I got the Camaro and I was pretty shocked at the cost. My last trip down "special products lane" was with Zaino and I'll never buy it again as it was way overpriced, required a TON of effort to use, and had to be reapplied almost constantly!
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:12 AM   #34
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
303 Fabric Guard. Once you have 303 on the top you will find that you need to wash far less often. 3-1/2 years later water still beads on my top and it still looks brand new.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/303-Fabri...SellerId=10130

Get a mini paint roller and roll it on.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shur-Line...iece/854981962
Don't spray it, or it will be a huge mess all over the windows and paint. One 16oz bottle will do 2 coats.

For prep and maintenance afterward, buy a lint roller as well to remove the dust and light debris.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scotch-Br...dule=top_picks
303 is like clear coat and you don't want to be sealing in the dust. Have a low lint cheapo microfiber cloth handy to clean up drips before they dry.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:48 AM   #35
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
303 Fabric Guard. Once you have 303 on the top you will find that you need to wash far less often. 3-1/2 years later water still beads on my top and it still looks brand new.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/303-Fabri...SellerId=10130

Get a mini paint roller and roll it on.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shur-Line...iece/854981962
Don't spray it, or it will be a huge mess all over the windows and paint. One 16oz bottle will do 2 coats.

For prep and maintenance afterward, buy a lint roller as well to remove the dust and light debris.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scotch-Br...dule=top_picks
303 is like clear coat and you don't want to be sealing in the dust. Have a low lint cheapo microfiber cloth handy to clean up drips before they dry.
Good tips, @Gunkk. I use the 303 stuff on the dash (have for years) and have always like it. I had seen the fabric protector, but never moved ahead to buying it.

The paint roller tip seems to be a common one from those in the know!
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:33 PM   #36
MR's 2SS

I ordered the 303 based on recommendations here. But they... amazon... couldnt fullfill the order. So Im trying the Raggtop product for starters. It also came recommended.

Nothing worse than expensive snake oil...
Old 01-21-2021, 05:08 PM   #37
Bob54

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Convertible
"Is it necessary to put a sealant on the VERT top"

Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? ... - Dodgeballs Patches O'Houlihan

I couldn't resist.

On my Gen5 I used both Raggtop and also the 303. The 303 definitely lasted longer but the Raggtop seemed adequate. I believe the 303 requires a higher ambient temperature when you apply it. I agree with using the foam roller. It was a daily driver and I used it in the winter in New England. There was lots of salt on the roof that washed off pretty easily on the treated roof.

My Gen6 is a garage queen who rarely gets taken out unless the top is down so I haven't applied a sealant. I think both products are reasonable.
Bob54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:25 AM   #38
Speak99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
So... Im new to a convertible top car. But Ive had boats in salt water for decades. Several have had fabric enclosures or actual tops. I never keep the center console enclosures on all season and they stay in the garage most of the year. The more they are used. The more they deteriorate. Salt and sun vs the fabric. I never leave the boat covered with salt spray. It gets rinsed every time it comes in. All the fabrics on the boat are made for use in marine environments and they all deteriorate. I think more from sun than anything. They will all be the first things needing replacement for cosmetic reasons. My current boat is a 2013 center console and in NJ its only in the water 3 or 4 months a year and several bolsters are needing replacement while the rest of the boat looks as new due to twice yearly professional waxing. Ive never been aware of any true waterproofing applications for the boat vinyl. But I use some interior cleaner protectants with UV protectants. My canvas is in great shape after 8 years on the water because of cleaning and being indoors.
The Camaro is going to be a daily driver for a few years and will be outside 100% of the time. It has 400 miles on it and its been waxed. It will be waxed at least twice a year with some of the new "ceramic" tech hand applications on the market now.
And I already bought the Raggtop product for the top. Ill do that in the spring or summer. At least once a year. If it beads up and remains waterproof as opposed to water soaking in... that has to be better than allowing water and contaminants to soak into the fabric. Unless theres chemicals in the product thats harmful. The cars small so its easy to wax. And the top is very small. Its worth an hour or two.
After washing and waxing my Superduty its a breeze.
very insightful...thanks
Old 01-22-2021, 06:15 PM   #39
MR's 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob54 View Post
"Is it necessary to put a sealant on the VERT top"

Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? ... - Dodgeballs Patches O'Houlihan

I couldn't resist.

On my Gen5 I used both Raggtop and also the 303. The 303 definitely lasted longer but the Raggtop seemed adequate. I believe the 303 requires a higher ambient temperature when you apply it. I agree with using the foam roller. It was a daily driver and I used it in the winter in New England. There was lots of salt on the roof that washed off pretty easily on the treated roof.

My Gen6 is a garage queen who rarely gets taken out unless the top is down so I haven't applied a sealant. I think both products are reasonable.
Hey Bob, Im interested in your using the gen 5 ragtop as a daily driver. I just put some winter wheels with snows. Its not so much that it will be plowing through a foot of snow as the cold with the summer tires and slush and all that crap. Being in Boston is a bit harsher than NJ but close.
The Camaro wont become the wifes DD till April when her lease is up so not too much winter this year. But the day will come when shes stuck at work until several inches are on the ground.
Ive kept her in mostly all wheel drive vehicles for 30 years. Shes driven the Camaros in Florida in pouring rain but thats about the extent of her front engine rear drive experience. She doesnt like winter. She does fine but is nervous. I got the Veredistien snows on 18" rims. If I think shes going to be in the snow I might drop a sand bag in the trunk too.
Im going to treat the top after things warm up. Its not going out in the salt much this year. It gets itself very dirty I noticed. I drove it to work today to mount the snows on dry salty roads... and it got salty. I drove my truck 2 days in the same salt and its still clean.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:39 PM   #40
Bob54

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Convertible
On my Gen5 I had 17 inch rims (RS) and Michelin snow tires on all 4 wheels. I was better in the snow than just about any car or truck out there. I watched a WRX and a pickup truck get wiped out on separate occasions. I did the winter of 2015 (108 inches) with a 120 mile per day commute. AWD will get you going but 4 snows will get you stopped. The 17 inch rims were great for pot holes. ( I'm sure your 18's will as well).

I did have a fear of a roll over. The way they piled that much snow up it was easy to roll if you went too far out of the lane. I saw lots of rollovers.

With a treated roof the car looked great in the Spring. If the Gen6 is near as good as the Gen5 I am sure your wife will be fine although my wife is in an AWD CRV.
Bob54 is offline   Reply With Quote