Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #29
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-1LE View Post
C4,

Both of your Camaros are very nice looking. I think you should drive some 1LEs and see if you really like them better than your vert. You already have a track car and you said you would probably only take a 1LE out a few times. After driving some, if you don’t say to yourself this is soooo much nicer a gotta have one, then I’d stick to the upgrades you spoke of. The Recaro seats are very comfortable. Could you buy some used in your area? I like your idea of re-upholstering with blue suede inverts. It would look really good if you got Recaros and re-upholstered them and the rear seats with the blue suede inserts. That would be very unique.

If I had more than just one fun car I’d probably have a convertible. But living in Vermont I wouldn’t drive a fun car year round and have barely enough room to store one. My wife thought I should have gotten a convertible but it was the 2SS 1LE for me.
Yes - I agree, I should do that as I haven't driven one. There are two used units at car dealers in my area. The closest new ones with manuals are 50 miles away. Probably start with the local used ones. One is 2019 with 15K miles for $37K - not a bad price, but summit white. Other one is a 2018 same miles, nightfall gray which is a nice color - no listing price and looks like a new arrival not even on dealers website yet.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #30
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
Thanks - good input. I have a buddy that had a ZL1 vert A10 - he found the same thing as you - the car had such silly power you just couldn't use much of it on the street. I feel the same with my 71. The SS is fast but it's not brutally fast - so you can lay into it a bit longer here and there. My buddy swapped the ZL1 for a M3 convertible manual and he loves it. Very different motor - that is a 8K RPM redline F1 inspired V8 that literally makes no power below 4500rpm - likes to be 5-8K. I have the V10 version of that engine in my M5, also with a manual 6 speed.

And ya - I already have the 6 speed in the 1SS vert, so all good there. I do have that same A8 in my Colorado, but it hasn't been a problem yet anyway. I'm watching it and if I feel the shudder it's going in for a fluid swap. The trans has really worked great so far - I had the same truck but 2016 with the A6 and the trans really transforms it.

So let me get this straight... you have a SS Vert, an M5, the 71, and a Colorado.
Your wife has the Mazda. ....Am I missing anything here? It seems you’re doing alright!

I have three vehicles and most everyone in my neighborhood seems to have something to say about it, not bad, just inquisitive.

And I’m on the same page with ya on the higher RPM engines a manual transmission. I really enjoy stepping from the Camaro to the Mustang or vice versa, what a difference. I really enjoy both cars for their individual traits... with zero plans on getting rid of either.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:57 PM   #31
c4racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
So let me get this straight... you have a SS Vert, an M5, the 71, and a Colorado.
Your wife has the Mazda. ....Am I missing anything here? It seems you’re doing alright!

I have three vehicles and most everyone in my neighborhood seems to have something to say about it, not bad, just inquisitive.

And I’m on the same page with ya on the higher RPM engines a manual transmission. I really enjoy stepping from the Camaro to the Mustang or vice versa, what a difference. I really enjoy both cars for their individual traits... with zero plans on getting rid of either.
Ya - I have the 4 - all garaged. My wife has one and both my kids have their own but they are adults and on their own now.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:26 PM   #32
VT-1LE

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE Satin Steel Metallic
Quote:
Yes - I agree, I should do that as I haven't driven one. There are two used units at car dealers in my area. The closest new ones with manuals are 50 miles away. Probably start with the local used ones. One is 2019 with 15K miles for $37K - not a bad price, but summit white. Other one is a 2018 same miles, nightfall gray which is a nice color - no listing price and looks like a new arrival not even on dealers website yet.
It will be interesting to see what you think when you drive them. I agree nightfall gray is a very nice color. If you end up sticking with your convertible and change the seats you have to post pictures because I want to see that. I think that would look really sharp. Another thought is you could just make the lighter gray sections between the center and the sides blue. That would be more subtle and still look sharp.
VT-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:38 AM   #33
ArmanSS

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS VERT
Every time I think of getting rid of my convertible for a coupe, I think of how much I'll miss the convertible. I do live in Florida and its not my daily, but still. I guess if you have the money the answer would be to get both. Sounds crazy but my dream is to keep my convertible SS and add a ZL1 coupe to the collection someday. It is rather interesting; however, that my car's sticker price brand new was around 54k, and now its value used is comparable to its coupe counterparts that were thousands less expensive off the lot. I guess the convertible depreciates quicker?
ArmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:54 AM   #34
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
There aren't many at least w/ 6 speed. Handful nationally. There is a red-hot in FL 2018 with 2K miles for $59K. But that's close to double what my car is worth - not so sure it's worth $30K to go from my car to a ZL1. I would do the upgrade for half that, but $30K - jeez.

I mean - once you get into $60K territory it becomes what else could I get. Quick search shows a 2LT 2020 Corvette would be about $70K if they sell it for MSRP. Maybe they won't now, but a year from now I bet they would. Lot more value there for about the same price.
Don't fool yourself into thinking you will find a new 2020 2LT C8 for MSRP. Used one ... maybe. Besides 2020 being sold out and Bowling Green now in 2021 production, only a handful of good Corvette dealers nationally take orders at MSRP, plus you gotta add for courtesy delivery (typically $500-1000). But given the limited supply and long waiting lists at those dealers, you'll likely not be able to get one of those until 2022 at the earliest.

$59k for a gen6 Z vert manual red hot (!) is a good deal. There really are so very few of them available (only a few dozen total were made, ever). Once you've drive one and done the girlygiggle, the money will suddenly become less of a problem.

Say it with me: "Six-Hundred Fifty Horsepower Convertible"

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:16 PM   #35
c4racer

Not sure I would want 2 6th gens. But it brings up a good point. I could add a 1LE to the mix for about the same $$ as selling my vert and buying a ZL1 vert. Also in that same range of cost would be a C6Z or 5th gen Z28 with the LS7 - which probably are not quite as good as a 1LE - but would be more special to own in an expanded stable. Parking becomes an issue...

For that matter I don't have to give up a vert altogether - if I swapped my vert for a 1LE I could pick up a Z4 M roadster and the wife would probably even enjoy driving that one from time to time. Lots of options open up if we talk expansion instead of replacement.

BTW - my depreciation has been very low on the vert - got it for $9K off at $35K brand new and it's worth about $30K now 4 years later. But I only have put 14K miles on it.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:12 PM   #36
Chutzpah

Quote:
Not sure I would want 2 6th gens. But it brings up a good point. I could add a 1LE to the mix for about the same $$ as selling my vert and buying a ZL1 vert. Also in that same range of cost would be a C6Z or 5th gen Z28 with the LS7 - which probably are not quite as good as a 1LE - but would be more special to own in an expanded stable. Parking becomes an issue...

For that matter I don't have to give up a vert altogether - if I swapped my vert for a 1LE I could pick up a Z4 M roadster and the wife would probably even enjoy driving that one from time to time. Lots of options open up if we talk expansion instead of replacement.

BTW - my depreciation has been very low on the vert - got it for $9K off at $35K brand new and it's worth about $30K now 4 years later. But I only have put 14K miles on it.

Yep, your line of thinking is a lot like mine was a little over a year ago (keeping the SS and adding to the fleet). And same thing, we must have both bought the 1SS’s during the 20% off sale (I also had a conquest deduction) so, I got $11k off. With that said, the Z cost me another $40K, after trade in. So, you have a very good point. The upside (at least for me), is that I’ve NEVER seen another a ZL1 vert on the road. A couple at dealerships, but that’s it. So it’s pretty special, at least around here.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:10 PM   #37
c4racer

Ya I’ve never seen one either. A few coupes. My buddy had one but he lives on East coast.

16 total ZL1s shown as new inventory within 2K miles.
5 with manual trans.
All coupes.
In fact only three of the 16 are vert and all auto

Last edited by c4racer; 12-13-2020 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:52 AM   #38
c4racer

OK - did a search on AutoTrader and there are 5 ZL1 convertibles w/ 6 speed listed in the US.
2020 Ralley Green in DE for $64K
2020 Shadow Gray in IL for $63K
2018 Red Hot in FL for $59K (only 2500 miles!)
2019 Black in IN for $57K
2017 Silver in IN for $52K

The red hot is the one I would get, although shadow gray 2020 looks pretty good and is 2 years newer, but more miles at 6K.

So it would be roughly a $30K upgrade for me. It's an option.

Last edited by c4racer; 12-14-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:15 PM   #39
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
OK - did a search on AutoTrader and there are 5 ZR1 convertibles w/ 6 speed listed in the US.
2020 Ralley Green in DE for $64K
2020 Shadow Gray in IL for $63K
2018 Red Hot in FL for $59K (only 2500 miles!)
2019 Black in IN for $57K
2017 Silver in IN for $52K

The red hot is the one I would get, although shadow gray 2020 looks pretty good and is 2 years newer, but more miles at 6K.

So it would be roughly a $30K upgrade for me. It's an option.
I think you mean ZL1s, lol
Old 12-14-2020, 12:57 PM   #40
c4racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
I think you mean ZL1s, lol
yes - corrected above!
Old 12-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #41
Chutzpah

I have to go w/ GUNK on this. Owning a Vert 6 speed ZL1, is extremely rare. Will it be worth more than the auto in the future... don’t know. But, you’d definitely have bragging rights. I still go back and forth on whether I should have bought the 6 speed.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #42
c4racer

I guess it's the same idea as my M5. Previous generation M5's only came with manuals. E28, E34, E39 - but the E60 initially came out in 2006 only with a 7 speed SMG trans to go with the high revving F1 inspired V10. The US market complained, and BMW finally released a manual 6 speed version in 2007 mid year. From what I understand they made about 1200 of them, and I think the entire run from 2006-2010 was about 9000 cars. So the entire car is rare, and the 6MT version is even more rare. Does it make them more valuable - I think it does in that case - only because the SMG has reliability issues, so while it's a technically superior performing transmission, there is a pretty high cost of repair associated with owning one, which the 6MT removes. In the case of the ZL1, I don't think we will see the same reliability issues with the A10. Maybe for track use in a coupe with the eLSD that adds a failure point or at least an additional cooling requirement. But for a street car vert - not really a concern. Just comes down to personal preference. Which means there may be some slight premium for a manual only because of supply / demand - but then again, probably 75% of people want the A10 anyway so maybe there is no demand bump at all. Hard to say.