Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #15
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
I hear you, BUT the issue is the 50 threads on the same topic. So it is pretty obvious that there is an issue here, no? A sticky would solve that. A sticky doesn't have to be super technical, it just has to make peoples visit here more simple as they can find the answers to this, as opposed to starting yet another thread. This may also get some more people to actually work on their own car as they can see how simple it is...come on, work with me here fellas lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
I think we are going to have to build a wall to prevent more threads on diff changes.
We can't stop them. From now on I'm only replying to them with
Old 06-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #16
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastone View Post
That is the correct gear fluid. Look in the performance supplement and you'll see that the fluid specs in there are for ZL1 models only. It states refer to the owner's manual for 1le equipped vehicles.

Cross reference owners manual part number Dexron LS gear oil GM part number 88862624.

Are you getting confused about the eLSD clutch fluid? That fluid is NOT what needs to be changed after 1500 miles and before the first track day.

As mjk said, it's very easy and intuitive to changes rear gear oil.

Raise vehicle,
Remove fill plug,
Remove drain plug,
Drain oil,
Replace drain plug,
Fill rear end with fluid (1.2qt)
Replace fill plug,
Lower vehicle,
Drive vehicle for a few circles (left and right),
Raise vehicle,
Remove fill,
Check level (fill as needed),
Reinstall fill,
Lower vehicle,
Done

I think the confusion is believing the eLSD constitutes the need for different "gear oil", that's false. The eLSD needs a separate change (when needed, not after 1500 miles) of clutch fluid 5.4oz.

For a simple gear oil change, nothing is special or different for 1le equipped vehicles
to be fair, the manuals are not really clear on the issue, they don't even say what fluid to use for ZL1. On page 43 of HP supplement it says "The below values are for ZL1 (LT4 engine only). For capacities and specifications for1LE vehicles, please reference the owners' manual." Then it goes on and gives capacities (without fluid part numbers), for Rear Axle Fluid 1.6 qt, then even though these capacities are, according to the quote above "for ZL1 only", it goes on to reference the 5.4oz fluid with and I quote:

"Electronic Limited-Slip Differential (eLSD) Clutch System Lubricant (ZL1 and SS with 1LE Package) 5.4oz

Now the line item above it "Rear Axle Fluid (Coupe Only with eLSD) doesn't specify the models, so the quote on the top of the page should be in affect and we should refer the regular owner's manual...which of course has nothing in it regarding the eLSD.

My point is...GM should get their sh!t together regarding the manual, specificaly for the HP models. List the capacity and fluid type, how is a ZL1 owner supposed to know what fluid to use...it's not in the HP manual on the page that it specifically states it's for the ZL1.

anyway...
Old 06-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #17
Jastone

Drives: 98 TA, 10 Sierra, 17 XT5, 17 1le
The lack of clarity is why these questions keep coming up. The manual was written by engineers and lawyers for engineers and lawyers. Though the section of the performance supplement is pretty clear in terms of what it is referring to.

The ZL1 info pertains to volume not type of fluid. THE V8 GEAR OIL IS THE SAME. Just different amounts.

Though I agree GM could've done better with the manual.

Last edited by Jastone; 06-06-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Jastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #18
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
T
Are you getting confused about the eLSD clutch fluid? That fluid is NOT what needs to be changed after 1500 miles and before the first track day.
Not at all, if you read his post he was referring to the "moaning" the guys with the regular diffs have been getting. Our diffs don't have that issue, so I didn't want any confusion...
Old 06-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #19
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

If we can get someone to take pics as they go, it would still be handy for some I think. Regardless, I will have this one edited for content, and we could use this as a "rear diff fluid change/questions" thread to hopefully stop the million similar threads. At the very least we could re-direct them here...
Old 06-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #20
LiqTenExp

Drives: 2017 ZL1
are you guys jacking it up evenly on both sides, one side? I was considering just driving it up my low profile racing ramps but backwards.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:59 AM   #21
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiqTenExp View Post
? I was considering just driving it up my low profile racing ramps but backwards.
This was my plan as well...guessing if you go this route, definitely don't skip the figure eight, then top off again steps...
Old 06-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #22
Tomiboy

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
Quote:
If we can get someone to take pics as they go, it would still be handy for some I think. Regardless, I will have this one edited for content, and we could use this as a "rear diff fluid change/questions" thread to hopefully stop the million similar threads. At the very least we could re-direct them here...
There are pics in previous threads
Tomiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #23
Jastone

Drives: 98 TA, 10 Sierra, 17 XT5, 17 1le
Quote:
Not at all, if you read his post he was referring to the "moaning" the guys with the regular diffs have been getting. Our diffs don't have that issue, so I didn't want any confusion...
The "groaning" comes from the gear mesh. Differential doesn't matter.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #24
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
1LE cars a rockets, ergo this is rocket science
aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #25
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
The "groaning" comes from the gear mesh. Differential doesn't matter.
The diff makes a big difference in this case actually. I guess you aren't aware the regular SS diffs are known to have lots of noise/groan issues? Fluid swaps and other maintenance tasks are known to help them. So, yeah, as I said, not the same situation as ours...
Old 06-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #26
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiboy View Post
There are pics in previous threads
Can you copy and paste them in here? I think I recall seeing them, but forgot what thread...
Old 06-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #27
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Doing mine now .. I'll take photos
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #28
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
Doing mine now .. I'll take photos