Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #15
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Just because you haven't seen it, it doesn't exist? I can assure you auto GT's can and have been under 12.5 stock. I never saw a stock SS run under 12.3, doesn't mean they can't do it. I know they have been faster.
Yeah you have a point there so i'm not gonna argue. The problem with the GT's is getting them to hook off the line. If you seen stock 5.0's go under 12.5 then that's a hell of a driver for sure.

I had a GT myself, couldn't get it to hook. Test drove and pushed the new SS's and they sure put the power down. Props to GM the suspensions. If you can find any videos, pictures of stock 5.0's going under 12.5 I would love to see it. All the videos, American Muscle, Cars.com, Motortrend, Car & Driver, personal videos.. the 5.0's are doing high 12's - low 13's at best. True it's really up to the driver but that can be the case for any car.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:35 AM   #16
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
Yeah you have a point there so i'm not gonna argue. The problem with the GT's is getting them to hook off the line. If you seen stock 5.0's go under 12.5 then that's a hell of a driver for sure.

I had a GT myself, couldn't get it to hook. Test drove and pushed the new SS's and they sure put the power down. Props to GM the suspensions. If you can find any videos, pictures of stock 5.0's going under 12.5 I would love to see it. All the videos, American Muscle, Cars.com, Motortrend, Car & Driver, personal videos.. the 5.0's are doing high 12's - low 13's at best. True it's really up to the driver but that can be the case for any car.
Just like a stock SS going high 11s. The s550 hero run is 12.4.
Your average SS will run mid to low 12s. Average mustang high 12s to low 13s.

good half second plus stock gap. not even close to a drivers race. which the same driver same day same track head to head tests have shown plenty of times. Also confirmed with private owner times.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #17
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Your average SS will run mid to low 12s. Average mustang high 12s to low 13s.

good half second plus stock gap. not even close to a drivers race. which the same driver same day same track head to head tests have shown plenty of times. Also confirmed with private owner times.
My buddies friend had a tune, headers, exhaust, CAI to run 12.3 I believe. to go from high 12's to mid/low 12's is NOT easy and will def. need more power.

Not doggin the Stang at all since I like the S550's but you have to realize the SS has 50 lbs or torque (probably more since most of the dynos are showing greater #s), 15 HP and is about 150-230 lbs lighter. Also has less wheel hop off the line which is probably the most critical aspect in the 1/4 run.

An Auto GT should post better times than the M6.

Legit source from American Muscle and Cars.com

Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #18
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Base to base and option for option they are not far off in weight. Base GT is 3705 and SS is like 3685. GT gains more weight with PP from larger brakes etc and the difference is about 50lbs. Loaded PP GT is a bit over 3800. Loaded SS is ~3760.

20hp (probably closer to 30 looking at dyno numbers so far) and 55tq. Better transmission. Difference is about a half second both getting a good launch.

Cars.com talked about having trouble launching the car and was cutting power. Trust me the gap is big but its not nearly a second. Its about .5. Which is substantial. 5+ car lengths. Proper spanking for sure.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #19
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpoloman View Post
WOW. Thats a terrible time for the mustang. A stock GT should be faster than that. And the trap speed is worse than a stock one too.
Yes, that is how I had a chance. After he was going a bit sideways hitting second I blew by him. But later that night with TC on and babying the shift into second he ran 10.9 something @ 132. LOL.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #20
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
Hey nice 12.5 pass and a very respectable 2.06 '60 !!!

When are the MT's going on ??
Might be a little while before DRs. Pat was going to buy better 17" tires and I was going to buy his old ones, but now he is focused on his tune. I have a pair of 18" TSWs but right now with no tires on them. I am in the middle of selling all my 5th gen stuff so car cash will be coming in. Soon I hope.

Hawking my 5th gen stuff here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449776

I have no shame do I posting off topic.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:06 PM   #21
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
Very nice, for the 5.0 to run mid 12'September, they will need at least a tune. Test drive a few 5.0s and the SS. The midrange power on the SS is no joke. For that reason alone, I'm leaning towards an SS. Too old to be modding cars and mess with warranty.
Pat has run 12.4s completely stock with both his 2013 and 2015 GT autos.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #22
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
I would have done the same thing, got out of it and coast and take another stab at it. You are looking at the slip like it was a clean run. When shit goes bad you get out of it.
Well said. You want you and your car to be there once you get it sorted out. I guess I was a Camaro Douche Bagger as they say on the Mustang forums for posting that slip. It will be a VERY long time before I beat Pat again.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #23
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpoloman View Post
Test and tune to adjust little things like tire pressure or suspension setup. If your car isn't properly tuned you definitely should not be racing it down a drag strip. Unless you don't care about blowing up.
Pat is a wild man. Just ask my 2013 1LE. But you would not know it by looking at him. He did turn TC on after that.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #24
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Your average 8 speed automatic SS will run mid to low 12s. Average mustang GT 6 speed manual high 12s to low 13s.
Fixed it for you. Pat is a hero then and I have seen a bunch of stock GT autos run 12s. Of course Atco air helps.

Is the SS a faster car stock? Yes, but the difference is not night and day. Good driving (and good air) helps either car a ton.

So far at Atco the '16 SS times I have witnessed at Atco have ranged from low 14s to 11s (autos with DRs).
Old 05-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #25
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
My first genuine run at the dragstrip was at Beech Bend in KY. My 2016 Camaro 2SS was running against a supercharged Mustang and I beat him by 5 or more car lengths. My second run was against another supercharged Mustang and the same thing happened...about 6 car lengths. Both of the Mustangs were running terrible 12.8 or so times, but their trap speed was better than 124 + mph. My last run against the better of the two Mustangs I got beat, but just at the end of the 1/4 mile. I had a terrible reaction time and 60 foot was over 2.0 as well, so I chalk that loss up to my poor driving. Strange enough on the run where he beat me, his mid track performance was well behind mine. It would appear that even supercharged, the 5.0 Mustang doesn't build torque until well into the rev range. Both of those Mustangs were running street tires, but their 60 foot times were in the 2.0 range so I don't think they were losing traction. Who knows...it was fun for me, not so much for them.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #26
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
My first genuine run at the dragstrip was at Beech Bend in KY. My 2016 Camaro 2SS was running against a supercharged Mustang and I beat him by 5 or more car lengths. My second run was against another supercharged Mustang and the same thing happened...about 6 car lengths. Both of the Mustangs were running terrible 12.8 or so times, but their trap speed was better than 124 + mph. My last run against the better of the two Mustangs I got beat, but just at the end of the 1/4 mile. I had a terrible reaction time and 60 foot was over 2.0 as well, so I chalk that loss up to my poor driving. Strange enough on the run where he beat me, his mid track performance was well behind mine. It would appear that even supercharged, the 5.0 Mustang doesn't build torque until well into the rev range. Both of those Mustangs were running street tires, but their 60 foot times were in the 2.0 range so I don't think they were losing traction. Who knows...it was fun for me, not so much for them.
Way to represent! Manuals? With street tires an FI car is at a big disadvantage. The autos are sick. Just with tires and a supercharger auto Mustangs 5.0 can run 10s with some practice and good air. Lucky for us SSes will do the same!
Old 05-07-2016, 06:45 PM   #27
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
I'm rooting for ya to take the first place spot on this forums stock list. Ya might have beat pat but you wont beat me. My Mustang goes straight.We'll see ya this Tuesday.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #28
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
I actually read the thread a couple times just to see if I am reading it correct. A supercharged mustang is running high 12's? That's extremely pathetic considering we do less than that off the showroom, bone stock. I tend to not care about DR's since it's a massive boost where I can even go saying it's cheating haha. Street tires, you can also get 30k miles out of and not a hazard driving on the street, 4-5k out of DRs if you drive em on the street, they aren't cheap and extremely hazardous to you and to the people around you in public when it rains. Kudos to people who do use em though. I'd rather spend money on other car parts or cars haha.

I do love the friendly competition you and Pat have going, I think that is pretty awesome!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote