Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-06-2020, 01:46 AM   #1
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Trying a PF63E filter

Changed my engine oil and oil filter this past weekend.

I decided to see how well a PF63E oil filter would fit. This filter is the truck version of the PF64 for the LT1. Although the filter canister is longer than the PF64, I don't think it hangs down low enough to be an issue.
Attached Images

2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #2
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I've considered doing this as well since they have the same bypass valve settings. The V6 used to call for the PF63E filter, but has since moved on to the UPF63R filter - that might be an option too for those looking for longer version of PF64 with increased filter media surface area (ie. for favorable pressure drop vs. flow curve).

See this thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563093

On the other hand, if PF64 is good enough for the C8/LT2, it's good enough for the Camaro!

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:30 AM   #3
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
I've considered doing this as well since they have the same bypass valve settings. The V6 used to call for the PF63E filter, but has since moved on to the UPF63R filter - that might be an option too for those looking for longer version of PF64 with increased filter media surface area (ie. for favorable pressure drop vs. flow curve).

See this thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563093

On the other hand, if PF64 is good enough for the C8/LT2, it's good enough for the Camaro!
Any idea what the by-pass valve setting for the UPF63R might be? For the UPF64R, the by-pass valve setting is 35 psi.
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #4
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLG View Post
Any idea what the by-pass valve setting for the UPF63R might be? For the UPF64R, the by-pass valve setting is 35 psi.
I'm not positive on that. My assumption is that it's the same bypass valve setting as PF64 & PF63E because that TSB recommends UPF63R to be used retroactively where PF63E had been used (on the V6 camaros from '16+).

I'd be interested if someone could confirm that!

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote