Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 05-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
Apex_Missing_Ape

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Track Alignment - How long is it lasting you?

I ask because I need an alignment again after 5 track days and about 4,000 miles. I'm not shy of the curbing on the tracks so I go over them with some speed and I'm guessing that's what is eventually knocking it out of alignment. The roads I drive on off of the track are generally pretty smooth.

What's everyone else's experience?
Apex_Missing_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #2
Destroyer_1LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
Typically they will last a couple track days depending on your driving style. I know people that get an alignment ever event. They will have different alignment spec's for what tire/ wheel setup they will be running to what track they will be at. I tend to get an alignment after 2-3 events and will make adjustment for what track I will be at and to change how it will handle. I also know people that haven't changed their alignment since they bought the car.

Destroyer_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #3
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_Missing_Ape View Post
I ask because I need an alignment again after 5 track days and about 4,000 miles. I'm not shy of the curbing on the tracks so I go over them with some speed and I'm guessing that's what is eventually knocking it out of alignment. The roads I drive on off of the track are generally pretty smooth.
Have you marked the locations of the strut to knuckle fasteners so you can detect if slippage is occurring there? Or inspected those areas for witness marks indicating slippage? Reason I'm asking is because if it isn't a case of adjustment bolts slipping, you've probably bent something.

Norm
Old 05-17-2019, 07:50 AM   #4
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
yeah not long here either!
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Have you marked the locations of the strut to knuckle fasteners so you can detect if slippage is occurring there? Or inspected those areas for witness marks indicating slippage? Reason I'm asking is because if it isn't a case of adjustment bolts slipping, you've probably bent something.

Norm
Agreed. On the OP's car, an SS 1LE, the only components that could cause alignment shift are slipped adjusters or somehow stuck rear subframe bushings [which are spoked rubber]. Otherwise, yes something got bent from banging curbs harder than they should've. Some cars need their alignment eccentrics torqued higher than spec to hold [e.g. Miata is a common example], however I haven't found the Alpha platform to be one of those cases.

Marking the adjusters is smart and fairly common with competent mechanics.

I put my car on the alignment rack after a whole season of tracking and through a classic salty Michigan winter and the alignment hadn't moved at all.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #6
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Agreed. On the OP's car, an SS 1LE, the only components that could cause alignment shift are slipped adjusters or somehow stuck rear subframe bushings [which are spoked rubber]. Otherwise, yes something got bent from banging curbs harder than they should've. Some cars need their alignment eccentrics torqued higher than spec to hold [e.g. Miata is a common example], however I haven't found the Alpha platform to be one of those cases.

Marking the adjusters is smart and fairly common with competent mechanics.

I put my car on the alignment rack after a whole season of tracking and through a classic salty Michigan winter and the alignment hadn't moved at all.
Making alignment marks with a paint pen or whiteout is very helpful in pre- and post-track inspection. I’ve done this with all my bolts.

I haven’t noticed any change on my car, either, once everything is set and torqued properly. The only thing I’ve seen change was my passenger front camber after nailing the curbing at one track hard with the passenger front - all bolts and attached links didn’t move and nothing was bent; driver side didn’t change. I figure it must have been a bushing that slightly got... “adjusted”. Camber change was like 0.3 degrees.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #7
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
I do not have the ability to secure the car in my trailer using the over the tire method, and have been criss crossing with through the wheel ratchet straps F&R. I need to make some said marks and pay closer attention to see if I'm causing any changes. Ignorance is blind, not sure knowing will be good for me, unless it is not actually causing changes. I will not be back on an alignment rack till the Vorshlags eventually come my way.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #8
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
There are 4 rear bolts that are torque to yield that should be replaced every time the rear alignment is changed per Chevy service procedures but most shops/dealerships won't do this. If your rear alignment keeps changing after being set, reuse of these bolts could be the cause.

I don't have enough miles to bother with checking how my track alignment with new rear bolts has held up yet but the car still tracks straight.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:40 PM   #9
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
3x's per year on my car.

Main culprit for me is Sebring.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:31 AM   #10
Tim202

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
My little experience says it depends on track & driving style. My first track day with the car was at the high speed roval at Auto Club Speedway. I did a lot of curbing there. When I had the alignment checked the next week, it was out enough for me to have them put it back.

My next track day was at the slower Chuckwalla track. I was curbing there too, but when I had the alignment checked it wasn't off at all.

So maybe the faster the track, the more out of alignment you could be?
Tim202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #11
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Mine lasted 3 track days. To be honest it was probably out on the second. I hit the curbs and mowed the grass a few times. My steering wheel even got crooked. My camber was okay just messed up the front and rear toe.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:44 PM   #12
rickybobby

Drives: BMW M3, ZL1 1LE
Well my alignment survived trackdays, but somehow is now knocked out from street driving. This is going to be expensive if I have to get her aligned multiple times a year.
rickybobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:59 PM   #13
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
Reused TTY bolts, dropped wheel over the back of a curb ripping off front rubber aero pieces under the splitter and crushing the aluminum shear plate/brace.

Had it thrown on the rack today and all that moved was the rear toe slightly.
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #14
Apex_Missing_Ape

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Turns out nothing was bent - apparently the track at Barber MSP is just hell on it. It's good to see that the ones that have had a few off-track excursions haven't broken anything too. This puts my mind at ease a bit. I'd much rather pay for alignments than replace fragile suspension parts.
Apex_Missing_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote