Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 04-28-2018, 06:53 AM   #1
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
A8 Transmission tuning blog, might help some in tuning.

http://www.ltgrevolution.com/home/ar...-transmission/

Also more background on it from Jason Jacfab in the LTG 2.0 Turbo forum

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=1

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Thanks for sharing. I'm sure it will help out a lot of people if they are looking to play with their transmission tuning. The article is pretty short and to the point, but hopefully understandable. It was written at the time when I had HP Tuners v3.6x, the tuning tables seemed extremely limited, now there is a little more to play with in the 3.7 beta, but still not the tables I am waiting for to make shifts even quicker.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Thanks for sharing. I'm sure it will help out a lot of people if they are looking to play with their transmission tuning. The article is pretty short and to the point, but hopefully understandable. It was written at the time when I had HP Tuners v3.6x, the tuning tables seemed extremely limited, now there is a little more to play with in the 3.7 beta, but still not the tables I am waiting for to make shifts even quicker.
Well this sucks. Your article made me realize you don’t actually tune automatic 2017 V6 Camaros. So I guess there goes that dream.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #4
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
Hopefully they release a solid 3.7 version soon with some updated tables... but this was def a better explanation than most of the diy that ive been reading and wayching the past few months trying to lean the torque management area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarolover85 View Post
Well this sucks. Your article made me realize you don’t actually tune automatic 2017 V6 Camaros. So I guess there goes that dream.
Why not? I think will has tined some... maybe not the tcm, but the 2017s engines..the ecm just needs to be unlocked right?

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
Old 04-30-2018, 05:15 PM   #5
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Hopefully they release a solid 3.7 version soon with some updated tables... but this was def a better explanation than most of the diy that ive been reading and wayching the past few months trying to lean the torque management area

Why not? I think will has tined some... maybe not the tcm, but the 2017s engines..the ecm just needs to be unlocked right?
I read the article about having to unlock for EFI live or whatever so i went to look. On his own website he has “automatic (2016 only).”
Old 05-04-2018, 11:48 AM   #6
Jason@JacFab

The 2017 trans can be tuned, but you have to send off the TCM to ether HP Tuners or EFI live to unlock. I've yet to see the tune from a 2017+ with the TCM unlocked, but I gotta imagine all the parameters are very similar.

I've toyed with the idea of offering Trans tuning only, but due to how the A8 is assembled, it would be a case by case situation as each trans will probably respond a little differently due to the shift solenoids. It would require a base tune, drive it, log it, give feedback, retune, drive it log it, give feed back, retune, etc etc until the end user is happy with where it is.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #7
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:
The 2017 trans can be tuned, but you have to send off the TCM to ether HP Tuners or EFI live to unlock. I've yet to see the tune from a 2017+ with the TCM unlocked, but I gotta imagine all the parameters are very similar.

I've toyed with the idea of offering Trans tuning only, but due to how the A8 is assembled, it would be a case by case situation as each trans will probably respond a little differently due to the shift solenoids. It would require a base tune, drive it, log it, give feedback, retune, drive it log it, give feed back, retune, etc etc until the end user is happy with where it is.
Yes Jason you are correct unlocked TCM for 2017 has the same tables.. I believe HP tuners charges $200 ( Correct me if I am wrong here ).

If you want to use me as a test dummy for tuning the TCM I can run some logs and send them your way. The only thing ive touched is the slip because outside of that and reading your article tuning the TCM scares the *&#%&*# outta me.

I have the 3.7 beta as well so if you wanna play around no strings attached just let me know.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #8
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
Yes Jason you are correct unlocked TCM for 2017 has the same tables.. I believe HP tuners charges $200 ( Correct me if I am wrong here ).

If you want to use me as a test dummy for tuning the TCM I can run some logs and send them your way. The only thing ive touched is the slip because outside of that and reading your article tuning the TCM scares the *&#%&*# outta me.

I have the 3.7 beta as well so if you wanna play around no strings attached just let me know.
Yes, it's $199 at HPT, not sure what EFI live charges.

I'll send you a PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #9
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:

This is all very much over my head as I don’t have tuning knowledge. I’ll presume the tune you’re referencing was the type trifecta is doing. As they’re not requiring any sort of TCM removal and unlocking. I love my car and it’s fun to drive but removing the front bumper and having my car down so I can do a tune isn’t really something I’m looking to do, which sucks. If you decide to do the tune without removal of the TCM, I’ll consider it than.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #10
PolynesianPowerhouse

Quote:
This is all very much over my head as I don’t have tuning knowledge. I’ll presume the tune you’re referencing was the type trifecta is doing. As they’re not requiring any sort of TCM removal and unlocking. I love my car and it’s fun to drive but removing the front bumper and having my car down so I can do a tune isn’t really something I’m looking to do, which sucks. If you decide to do the tune without removal of the TCM, I’ll consider it than.
Theres something we used to do in the chargers... maybe a possibility. Core return tuning. Maybe one day. Where if a few cores are sourced. One can do the tune on a core, send you wwhat you paid for, and then you send yours back as a new core.

Wishful thinking, as many places stopped doing that for even tb's due to shady members. But a future possibility.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #11
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Quote:
TCM is not only locked on 2017 and newer it is VIN attached so getting one to use in the "mean time" is not an option I do not believe.

Removing the front bumper takes about 30 minutes there are some nice youtube removal videos.. but its 4 7mm screws under each fender the torx bits along the top under the hood a couple clips and then the line of screws under the front of the car.. It is a pretty simple removal and only one wire plug to unplug on driver side under fender liner.

Then you send the TCM out to hptuners and they unlock it.

You are correct that trifecta is advertising the TCM doesnt need to be unlocked

-2017 Camaro models with the 8-Speed automatic transmission and T87A transmission control module (TCM) DO NOT require an UNLOCK.

Right from their site.. which is interesting I am actually going to contact them and find out for sure what they are claiming or maybe jason can chime in if he knows.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #12
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Had mine done today. Still a work in progress but car responds like it should have with the ECM tune so I'm very happy. With 2017+ HPTUNERS is raping everyone with credits 4 for the ECM, $200 to unlock the TCM then another 4 credits to tune the TCM. All in all I'm almost $1k invested in just tuning....

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:16 AM   #13
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
TCM is not only locked on 2017 and newer it is VIN attached so getting one to use in the "mean time" is not an option I do not believe.

Removing the front bumper takes about 30 minutes there are some nice youtube removal videos.. but its 4 7mm screws under each fender the torx bits along the top under the hood a couple clips and then the line of screws under the front of the car.. It is a pretty simple removal and only one wire plug to unplug on driver side under fender liner.

Then you send the TCM out to hptuners and they unlock it.

You are correct that trifecta is advertising the TCM doesnt need to be unlocked

-2017 Camaro models with the 8-Speed automatic transmission and T87A transmission control module (TCM) DO NOT require an UNLOCK.

Right from their site.. which is interesting I am actually going to contact them and find out for sure what they are claiming or maybe jason can chime in if he knows.
It is interesting huh? Let me know what you hear.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:18 AM   #14
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Had mine done today. Still a work in progress but car responds like it should have with the ECM tune so I'm very happy. With 2017+ HPTUNERS is raping everyone with credits 4 for the ECM, $200 to unlock the TCM then another 4 credits to tune the TCM. All in all I'm almost $1k invested in just tuning....
What did you have done today? Your post was a little confusing. Are you doing tuning with will?