Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-22-2021, 05:29 PM   #29
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
To refresh.... the K&N flange does NOT have stand-offs like the Cold Air Inductions (and I bet every other CAI), so I found a washer with the thickness very close to bridge the gap so the MAF can be mounted as flush as possible and took it for a spin.

While it still has some surge at 1200 & under RPMs, it definitely acts MUCH better than after I originally removed the MAF to clean last week. It actually seems to surge less than has since I purchased, I think I may just be on the right track to solve it with a different CAI. Fingers are crossed.

@Semif18 was kind enough to ship the CAI CAI dang near immediately after I paid him (huge thanks for that!) and if FedEx delivers on Sundays out here I'll be able to find out. If not, Monday for sure.

In the meantime, I'll pull the negative over night again to reset everything for kicks. I feel some relief, that's for sure!
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:47 PM   #30
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
I 100% agree, HPT for the scanner alone is more than worth it's weight in gold. I've been on the edge of ordering one to use on the SLC for a long time, this issue most definitely pushed me over the edge and will ASAP. I've spent more than I needed to for random things for the car over the past few weeks, I need to chill for a bit....but HPT is 100% the next purchase soon.
As one that has had a basic MPVI for something like 13 yrs, I’ll be upgrading to a MPVI2 Pro module here very soon, & would recommend the same to others.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:39 AM   #31
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
As one that has had a basic MPVI for something like 13 yrs, I’ll be upgrading to a MPVI2 Pro module here very soon, & would recommend the same to others.
I was planning on just the regular MPVI2 module, I don't think I'll ever dig deep enough into HPT to actually use the Pro.....but it's been a while since I looked into them.

Drive to work was better today than the past week after adding the washers. With more seat time today, it isn't better than before I originally removed the MAF, but it's back to square one when I purchased the car. Resetting the car didn't help things, but I really didn't think it would. Fingers are still crossed the different CAI will solve things, hurry up Sunday/Monday!
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
Old 07-23-2021, 07:40 AM   #32
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
I was planning on just the regular MPVI2 module, I don't think I'll ever dig deep enough into HPT to actually use the Pro.....but it's been a while since I looked into them.

Drive to work was better today than the past week after adding the washers. With more seat time today, it isn't better than before I originally removed the MAF, but it's back to square one when I purchased the car. Resetting the car didn't help things, but I really didn't think it would. Fingers are still crossed the different CAI will solve things, hurry up Sunday/Monday!

This thread title cracks me up, Jerky. Makes me want to go get some to eat.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:54 AM   #33
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
If it continues to improve as you flatten out the flange, maybe it might be worth replacing that MAF because it might be warped beyond reasonable repair. If that CAI is flatter, and doesn't warp the flange, requiring the washers, maybe it might be worth replacing.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #34
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
If it continues to improve as you flatten out the flange, maybe it might be worth replacing that MAF because it might be warped beyond reasonable repair. If that CAI is flatter, and doesn't warp the flange, requiring the washers, maybe it might be worth replacing.
It's hard to put in words and I likely put too many words trying. The K&N tube's flange isn't warped, it just doesn't have the 2 stand-offs incorporated into it like every other CAI for these cars. With it not having them, you can not tighten the MAF down to sit perfectly flush to the K&N tube flange. Using washers I was able to get fairly close to it sitting flush. I think I'm going to contact K&N about this issue, maybe mine happens to be one of the first CAI kits and has since revised the MAF tube and they can replace so I can sell mine to recoup some money.

When I install the new setup, I'll put a ruler against my MAF's flange to make sure it has not been bent. If it has and I still have surges, I'll be forced to get a new one.

Just added pictures of a new K&N CAI (doesn't appear to have stand-offs vs Amazon K&N CAI (does have stand-offs) vs mine (definitely no stand-offs). Mine also has black worm clamps unlike the Amazon pic.
Attached Images

Last edited by infinitereality; 07-23-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #35
radz28
Petro-sexual

I think I got what you were initially saying. It seems like the screws were over-tightened, and warped the MAF flange. No biggie I'm only suggesting thinking about replacing that MAF because you could've warped the flange beyond the point of it being flat, once you get the spacing right.

Or I could be wrong...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 07-23-2021, 11:36 AM   #36
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
The RF CAI seems to be the best one out there now for our ZL1s and no I’m not a fanboy of them either. Also not a paid spokesman either. When I was doing some research on a CAI for mine I decided on RF because of the reviews and recommendations from a couple of aftermarket companies that have parts to include Ted Jannety. The Cold Air Inductions Carbon fiber CAI was too expensive for me but they make a great CAI for the SS as I installed one on my 2016 2SS and had no issues. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:50 AM   #37
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I think I got what you were initially saying. It seems like the screws were over-tightened, and warped the MAF flange. No biggie I'm only suggesting thinking about replacing that MAF because you could've warped the flange beyond the point of it being flat, once you get the spacing right.

Or I could be wrong...
Agreed! When I put the new setup on, I'll put a straight edge against the MAF itself and verify it is (hopefully) still flat.

Kind of blows my mind K&N didn't incorporate the stand-offs on their flange like others. I'd suggest maybe they gave spacers, but washers were a PITA to put on without fear of dropping a MAF screw. Spacers that small would have been even worse.

I agree Greg, I have no preference either on brand. Just need something to try (and hopefully fix it), lol. If I was buying new CAI I'd want the Cold Air Inductions, but due to price and RF feedback on here I'd gone with RF. Hell, until I purchased the Cold Air Inductions yesterday, I had no clue just how good of a deal I got for mine. I can't believe someone didn't snatch it up before me.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:00 PM   #38
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Kind of shocked this worked out, but salesman was able to get in touch with previous owner and he still had the OEM intake. He will drop it off to dealership and they'll mail it my way. Total shot in the dark, but thankful to be getting it.

Worse case with the surge, I can at least put it back on to 100% verify if the CAI CAI does similar.

Again, I appreciate the help on this. Will report back Sunday or Monday when the new intake comes in and I install it.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:08 PM   #39
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
Kind of shocked this worked out, but salesman was able to get in touch with previous owner and he still had the OEM intake. He will drop it off to dealership and they'll mail it my way. Total shot in the dark, but thankful to be getting it.

Worse case with the surge, I can at least put it back on to 100% verify if the CAI CAI does similar.

Again, I appreciate the help on this. Will report back Sunday or Monday when the new intake comes in and I install it.
That's great news. That should definitely help. Make sure to follow-up

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 07-23-2021, 03:49 PM   #40
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Very good news indeed.

Then you know you are starting at square one, providing it never had a tune done.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:38 PM   #41
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Yep, assuming no tune. Hopefully that's the case but never know. At least it's one thing crossed off the list of potentials.

No CAI today, looks like no delivery on Sunday. Tomorrow hopefully will show up and get them swapped out and find out.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:42 AM   #42
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

CAI CAI came in yesterday, looks awesome. One thing I immediately noticed on the CAI vs K&N was the MAF flange of CAI not only has the stand-offs but also an ledge for the MAF gasket to sit in as well. Not the best picture, as I was just snapping some of the whole CAI. Of course, stuff came up so had to put it off, lol. Only a good note, the stock intake was shipped out yesterday and due in tomorrow.

Over the weekend I put a couple hundred miles on the car, 2.5yr old wanted to go ride and I never can object to that. While the temporary washer/spacer made things feel better first few trips in the car, currently feels like it was when I started the thread. Being not as confident about new-ish CAI fixing the surging and OEM intake due in tomorrow I'll wait and just put that back on and be back to stock.

I found out a good buddy ordered HPT and is due in this week so have access to scanning if needed. Assuming no change with stock intake, next up is checking plugs and then scan to check for a tune and if MAF is working properly. If still no luck, I'll setup an appointment at the dealership for work and reserve a rental. There's still hope I don't have to deal with rental cars and dealership!
Attached Images