Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-19-2021, 07:38 PM   #1
exhogman@hotmail.com

Drives: 2002 Camaro 2010 Corvette
2022 ZL1 order

I am planning to order a 2022 ZL1 and I am undecided on the 1LE package. I don’t plan to track the car but I really like the aggressive look. My major concern is the 1LE suspension will be too stiff for street driving. Any thoughts?
exhogman@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:44 PM   #2
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhogman@hotmail.com View Post
I am planning to order a 2022 ZL1 and I am undecided on the 1LE package. I don’t plan to track the car but I really like the aggressive look. My major concern is the 1LE suspension will be too stiff for street driving. Any thoughts?
This will depend on a lot of factors. From road conditions where you will drive to your ability to deal/like the harsh ride. If you do not plan to ever track it, i would suggest ZL1 and then upgrade to the aero and wheel combo.

The car is Amazing but it is not for everyone. I suggest you get someone local with a ZLE to give you some rides so you can understand what the car feels like. No test driving will not give you the full picture of the car.

Good luck on your quest. I just went thru the same situation. I am glad I decided to settle on the ZL1 for my purpose.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2021, 08:04 PM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
In your shoes I would buy a standard ZL1 and consider an aftermarket "aero package" (say, this or this, and there are others as well) later, if I'm still bent on getting the aggressive exterior bits after a few months.

That magnetic ride control is sweet, adjustable, and if you don't track the ZL1 1LE, all you'll ever see is the disadvantages of the DSSV suspension, which may or may not be bad enough to leave a sour taste, but why risk it for no gain whatsoever?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:38 PM   #4
DigitalSyn

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE - Satin Steel Grey
I picked up a ZLE 1LE in May of this year, the price was right and with the shortage I didn’t have much choice. I do plan to track it but that’s a goal rather than a reality right now. I do not find the suspension any worse than other sports cars I’ve driven. The largest factory is the factory F1 Eagle tires. They are all but useless for street driving and the one time I got caught in the rain had me getting a full set of Michelin PS4S’s the next week. Now the ride is balanced and I still get 95% of the performance. My plan is to acquire another set of OEM rims to keep the F1 tires for my track endeavors.

If I had to do it again, would I? YES. The ZLE is a beast and looks the part. Friggin Batmobile
DigitalSyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:38 PM   #5
Z Boss
Camaro Addiction

Drives: 68SS81Z2887IROC97Z28SS,12ZL1,22ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhogman@hotmail.com View Post
I've been down the same thought path for my 2022 ZL1. After riding in 3 ZLE's from previous model years on the street including a 2019 on an SCCA course as a passenger, I have ordered a 2022 ZL1 with the 1LE package. I probably will not track the car either but love the package including the wider fenders and tires. I would ideally like to have the ZL1 1LE with mag ride, a smaller rear CF spoiler and no hood wrap, however the package is what it is. On my Vibrant Orange Metallic Camaro [(VOM I guess) and no not VOMit you orange haters] I plan to remove the hood wrap, purchase a second set of wheels to paint ZL1 (non-1LE) color with different tires and add a little aftermarket CF to the exterior with component exchanges. I think it would be sacreligious to exchange the ZLE rear spoiler so that will stay. If you want the baddest Camaro ever built, the ZLE is the one to own. I have a '12 ZL1 and I think the whole harsh ride discussion of the 6th gen ZLE's is overblown and talked about too much.
2012 Camaro ZL1 VIN #0004
ZL1, Ashen Grey, Black Leather, 6 speed, suede, exposed carbon fiber weave, gray stripe
Current Status: Cruisin' !!
3800 Produced: 1/27/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer: 4/27/2012
Z Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:55 PM   #6
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Another way I look at it is this... IF a 991 GT3 RS was only $10k more than a standard GT3 which one would you get? The power between those 2 is very similar, the main differences are suspension, aero, rear tire width and and lap times and one looks much more badass than the other. But the GT3 RS has a firmer ride, would that matter to you?

If you would choose the non-RS GT3 you should get the non-1LE.

For what it's worth... I also think the ZL1 1LE will be a more valuable car over time, maybe by a lot.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:25 PM   #7
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
OP,

As you will realize this is a decision only you can make. There will be folks that are all in for the ZLE and wouldn't have it any other way. Then you will have those that have the ZL1 and wouldn't have it any other way..

Yes the ZLE is better looking and aggressive but the ZL1 can be made to look exactly like it. Suspension wise, the cars are different. Yes ZLE is the most capable Camaro ever on a track at the hands of a pro driver. ZL1 is also very capable.

If you want better feedback, what don't you tell us what your car background is and what you intent to do with the Camaro? Do you want from the car? Are you a pro driver looking for the next best thing to improve your driving experience? Are you going to be driving road trips? Daily driving? Weekend toy? You already mentioned no track use. Lots of mountain/canyon driving?

At the end, you will have to make the decision and you will have to live with the car. I have seen it over and over where the thread just goes either for ZLE or ZL1 and i feel that doesn't serve well the OPs looking for feedback from those that own the car.

Last edited by Wuiquen; 07-19-2021 at 09:37 PM.
Wuiquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 10:29 PM   #8
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
OP,

As you will realize this is a decision only you can make. There will be folks that are all in for the ZLE and wouldn't have it any other way. Then you will have those that have the ZL1 and wouldn't have it any other way..

Yes the ZLE is better looking and aggressive but the ZL1 can be made to look exactly like it. Suspension wise, the cars are different. Yes ZLE is the most capable Camaro ever on a track at the hands of a pro driver. ZL1 is also very capable.

If you want better feedback, what don't you tell us what your car background is and what you intent to do with the Camaro? Do you want from the car? Are you a pro driver looking for the next best thing to improve your driving experience? Are you going to be driving road trips? Daily driving? Weekend toy? You already mentioned no track use. Lots of mountain/canyon driving?

At the end, you will have to make the decision and you will have to live with the car. I have seen it over and over where the thread just goes either for ZLE or ZL1 and i feel that doesn't serve well the OPs looking for feedback from those that own the car.

Well said and agreed (except on the ZLE looking better part - IMO). I know the aero is there for a reason and is effective, I just can’t come to terms with the look of it, which is why I’m in the ZL1 base.

To the OP, if you can answer as to what your uses for the car will be, we’ll have a better chance at lending a hand.
Old 07-20-2021, 01:39 AM   #9
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
I’ve owned numerous sports cars and currently own two Camaros. I also was reading all these posts prior to buying my ZLE which had me terrified about the ride. It’s simply not bad, my C4 Corvettte was far worse and my 5th Gen with Coil-overs is about the same.

I think if we took a hidden pole most ZLE owners would not sell because the ride is to harsh, but I’m guessing more ZL1 owners would upgrade and do in fact add aero package to emulate the looks of the ZLE. Can’t go wrong with either, but I believe the stiff ride thing has been overplayed a bit.

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:07 AM   #10
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
One thing I've personally noticed, as I was looking at used ZL1 1LE, is how low most cars' mileage was... To me it seemed to indicate that people are usually using those mostly for track duty, or garage queens, rather than daily driving them Nothing wrong with either of course, but personally I want to drive it!!! ...if my 2022 order can finally get accepted

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:08 AM   #11
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Camaro View Post
I’ve owned numerous sports cars and currently own two Camaros. I also was reading all these posts prior to buying my ZLE which had me terrified about the ride. It’s simply not bad, my C4 Corvettte was far worse and my 5th Gen with Coil-overs is about the same.

I think if we took a hidden pole most ZLE owners would not sell because the ride is to harsh, but I’m guessing more ZL1 owners would upgrade and do in fact add aero package to emulate the looks of the ZLE. Can’t go wrong with either, but I believe the stiff ride thing has been overplayed a bit.

Just think of it as the old time muscle cars. Fast, but rough and clunky. That's part of the fun of it.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:52 AM   #12
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
My suggestion would be a standard ZL1. No need in you paying the extra money for the 1LE package if you never plan to use it like the engineers intended. It’s like buying a 4x4 truck and never taking it off road and just buying it for the look. Your choice though.��
Old 07-20-2021, 07:08 AM   #13
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
The funny thing is the ZL1 and ZLE can’t be used on the street as the engineers and performance curve allows, at least legally. So buy what you like, it’s that simple..

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:38 AM   #14
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Getting in and out of the car is the most uncomfortable part of owning one of these cars with the Recaro seats. If you can handle that, you will be fine with the 1le suspension. I love the look of the 1LE but I couldn't justify the cost. I just bought a 1LE style wing and I am more than satisfied with the car now.