Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-19-2021, 07:23 PM   #15
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Was interested. Glad it was covered. Break her in a bit, and then get back on track
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:28 PM   #16
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Unfortunately, our cars still get the AFM lifters even though the motor doesn't have AFM. This is the cause of the problem. The first thing I'd do out of warranty is change out all the lifters. If you do it before warranty is up GM could deny a warranty claim, so I wouldn't do it before. If you did mods that compromise warranty already I'd make sure to do the lifters too.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:30 PM   #17
GermanMuscle

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Unfortunately, our cars still get the AFM lifters even though the motor doesn't have AFM. This is the cause of the problem. The first thing I'd do out of warranty is change out all the lifters. If you do it before warranty is up GM could deny a warranty claim, so I wouldn't do it before. If you did mods that compromise warranty already I'd make sure to do the lifters too.
Can you elaborate on the difference between normal lifters and AFM lifters?
GermanMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:37 PM   #18
GermanMuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
Was interested. Glad it was covered. Break her in a bit, and then get back on track
I am actually playing with the idea of selling the 1LE and buying a NB Miata and turn it into a dedicated track car. I really want to get better at the track and a Miata would cut consumables by a lot, probably less than half. How much I would enjoy a Miata after a SS 1LE is the other question
Old 07-19-2021, 08:06 PM   #19
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanMuscle View Post
Can you elaborate on the difference between normal lifters and AFM lifters?
AFM lifters are for the Active Fuel Management system, which deactivates 4 cylinders while cruising on the highway. Apparently, this is accomplished by using special AFM lifters that collapse so the valves don't open. Manual trans cars don't have AFM, but they use the same lifters, which are much less reliable.

I can't understand the cost-benefit analysis that went on when they decided to use AFM lifters on engines without AFM, whatever it was, they were definitely wrong, lol...

I do understand consumables costs, been considering that as well as the possibility of damage from going off-course... it makes Miatas seem much more appealing. I wouldn't sell my Camaro though, it's worth keeping long term imo.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:44 PM   #20
GermanMuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
AFM lifters are for the Active Fuel Management system, which deactivates 4 cylinders while cruising on the highway. Apparently, this is accomplished by using special AFM lifters that collapse so the valves don't open. Manual trans cars don't have AFM, but they use the same lifters, which are much less reliable.

I can't understand the cost-benefit analysis that went on when they decided to use AFM lifters on engines without AFM, whatever it was, they were definitely wrong, lol...

I do understand consumables costs, been considering that as well as the possibility of damage from going off-course... it makes Miatas seem much more appealing. I wouldn't sell my Camaro though, it's worth keeping long term imo.
Sounds liuke yours have broke once or twice before?
And then you cant change them without voiding warranty
Yes it will be interesting to see where prices go in the next 5-10 years with loud angry manual big V8s going away.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:39 PM   #21
DaveC113

Quote:
Sounds liuke yours have broke once or twice before?
And then you cant change them without voiding warranty
Yes it will be interesting to see where prices go in the next 5-10 years with loud angry manual big V8s going away.
No, I think it's pretty rare but not unknown... just bad luck to have one fail. It is true normal lifters are more reliable though.
Old 07-20-2021, 10:27 AM   #22
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Final update for anyone interested: Lifter failed, pushrod broke, valves were stuck open, cylinder hit the valve.

All new and took the tech 30 hours. Covered under warranty. Thank god!

Now im paranoid about taking it to the track again.

wow that sucks but glad they fixed it all ! i guess good reason to keep it stockish or only add oem gm parts haha