Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 07-02-2021, 02:46 PM   #1
Jahbb33

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2.0T RS/1LE
Advice on tuning for a beginner

So I've been trying to learn about tuning a car and saw HPTuners were probably my best best, but I'm terrified of paying $$$$ and messing up my car, especially since it's my daily driver. I have a performance shop here that has a Dyno, but don't really want to be at their mercy if I have issues.

I've also looked at ZZP tuning, but unless I already have an HPTuner, it's going to cost a lot of money.

I've seen mixed reviews on Trifecta and Racechip. Is there any tuner that's extremely easy and worth it? Or should I just attempt HPTuner?

Also wanted to add, I've tried searching through the forums and the posts are either a few years old, or don't give a straight answer.
Jahbb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:52 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
bring the car to zzp let them do it
Old 07-02-2021, 03:45 PM   #3
Jahbb33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
bring the car to zzp let them do it
I'm not sure I can. I Iive in Ohio and I can't drive across country because I work 60+ hours a week.
Old 07-02-2021, 04:28 PM   #4
buckwam

Drives: 2021 camaro 1ls
Is there a consensus on who has the best tune for the camaro I4 that is reliable with no other mods? I'm guessing GM built in a buffer for people who won't use 93 octane and left some power on the table to avoid warranty claims. I would be interested in getting V6 power levels if it was safe.
buckwam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:32 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahbb33 View Post
I'm not sure I can. I Iive in Ohio and I can't drive across country because I work 60+ hours a week.

Ohio to michigan? isnt cross country lol
Old 07-02-2021, 05:38 PM   #6
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
So I've been trying to learn about tuning a car and saw HPTuners were probably my best best, but I'm terrified of paying $$$$ and messing up my car, especially since it's my daily driver. I have a performance shop here that has a Dyno, but don't really want to be at their mercy if I have issues.

I've also looked at ZZP tuning, but unless I already have an HPTuner, it's going to cost a lot of money.

I've seen mixed reviews on Trifecta and Racechip. Is there any tuner that's extremely easy and worth it? Or should I just attempt HPTuner?

Also wanted to add, I've tried searching through the forums and the posts are either a few years old, or don't give a straight answer.
I can recommend Brian at Vermont Tuning for sure. On the 2.0T he is who I would go to, and he should be able to remote tune that no problem.

I would avoid Trifecta like the plague based on conversations I’ve had with them. I’m not going to bad mouth them, but just my 2 cents.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:12 PM   #7
Jahbb33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
I can recommend Brian at Vermont Tuning for sure. On the 2.0T he is who I would go to, and he should be able to remote tune that no problem.

I would avoid Trifecta like the plague based on conversations I’ve had with them. I’m not going to bad mouth them, but just my 2 cents.
So nooby question. For the Vermont Tuning, how does it work? Do they send you the tuner, you install it, record the data, and then send it to them?

And good to know avout Trifecta, you're not the first person to say that.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:20 PM   #8
Jahbb33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
Ohio to michigan? isnt cross country lol
Oh wow, I didn't realize it was only 5 hours away! That might be doable. Is that something you can do in a day?
Old 07-02-2021, 06:40 PM   #9
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
So nooby question. For the Vermont Tuning, how does it work? Do they send you the tuner, you install it, record the data, and then send it to them?

And good to know avout Trifecta, you're not the first person to say that.
You buy a small handheld tune loader from him. You copy your cars tune, send it to him and he mods it. He’ll email you the new tune plus the stock one that you can reload at any time. Easy.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:18 PM   #10
pumalex

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro
went with Vermont Tuning too and never regretted it, customer service is very good, answers his email very quick.
pumalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:23 PM   #11
95TA - The Beast

Drives: 2014 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance
Trifecta tunes are great all around "full" tunes.

Virtually no-one else does a complete tune like they do... And by complete I mean everything from engine at all RPMs/throttle positions (not JUST WOT like many do) to the transmission and everything else.

I am completely happy with my original "advantage" tune and after the turbo upgrade the "elite" tune package.

Many will bad-mouth Trifecta, but that is because they either have never used it, or their expectations were drastically different than reality.

All I can say is that the car is completely different with their tune. You don't need a throttle controller or bigger throttlebody since they make all the changes that those do physically within the tune. The tip-in throttle was so aggressive that I had them back it off a tad for me on light throttle. More than a few people that have driven my car REALLY liked that aspect of the tune, since it made it seem so much more responsive with low-throttle input.

Overall the power and "feel" of the car is great with the Trifecta tunes.

The big issue I have with most others is that they ONLY tune WOT. And if I am going to spend decent money on a tune I want a all around tune that has been tested, verified and is useable everywhere. That is Trifecta.
95TA - The Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:06 AM   #12
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Had a Trifecta tune on a Saturn Sky Recline about 8 years ago. Really great tune and support at the time.

A couple of years later I wanted a tune for a Regal GS and they had massively jacked the price up and the support was lacking. Not sure how they are now.

But looking on their website, I think their prices are way too high for a canned tune.

You can get a better dyno tune cheaper than what Trifecta is selling.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #13
Jahbb33

Update: I decided on buying an HPTuner and am going to get it tuned by ZZP.