Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-15-2021, 03:01 PM   #15
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
In my SS 1LE, I've never seen my coolant go beyond 220F. In fact, 99.99999% time it wont eclipse 217F.
Similar story for my SS 1LE. The max coolant temp I have seen on PDR was 217°F and max oil temp was 273°F on a sunny 98°F day at COTA.

Ours are both manual transmissions versus the OP's automatic transmission which probably helps like someone mentioned earlier in this thread, along with us not having the additional heat generated by the supercharger that the OP's car has.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:00 PM   #16
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
I just checked some of my PDR data in Pi Toolbox from a 75 degree day at Watkins Glen

Coolant Temp: 208°F - 212°F
IAT: 69°F - 71°F
Oil Temp: 268°F - 271°F
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:52 AM   #17
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
SS 1LE and a Supercharged ZL1 aren't comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Yep. See any discussion on this past [2021] SCCA TT Nationals at NCM.

Good recommendations. About the T-stat, even for an LT1, it is something to look at if you track a lot. The reason is for oil temperatures. Although the factory setup seems to stabilize, and not get too dangerously hot, it gets into a worrisome range (265-270F), and you better be running quality oil of a proper viscosity... The factory oil cooler works via fluid-to-fluid transfer, getting cooled by the oil cooler block attached to the engine block/oil filter block. This is cooled via the "cold-side" portion of the engine cooling system/radiator. If the coolant/fluid is not circulating, you wont get flow to provide more cooling (cooler coolant gets hot, and heat transfer slows down as it transfers into fluid father into the circuit, instead of getting more fresh, cooler fluid locally). The T-stat is your gate-keeper of that.

I don't have a lower temp T-stat yet, so I haven't data logged this, but I'm willing to bet there is something there. How much is the question, but if there is -10F, that's a worthy change! Oil temps of 155-165F are better than 165-170F.

Good call. Some ZL1 owners at this year's TT Nats did this and were able to grab a noticeable gain in power back.

In my SS 1LE, I've never seen my coolant go beyond 220F. In fact, 99.99999% time it wont eclipse 217F.
Old 07-16-2021, 02:41 PM   #18
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
SS 1LE and a Supercharged ZL1 aren't comparable.
Cool. Thanks for your unnecessary comment; however, I think there was value in the statements I made (did you even read it or just see "SS 1LE" and decide to skip all else and any further consideration?). Sorry you don't think so, but you didn't have to post as such.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:44 PM   #19
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
I just checked some of my PDR data in Pi Toolbox from a 75 degree day at Watkins Glen

Coolant Temp: 208°F - 212°F
IAT: 69°F - 71°F
Oil Temp: 268°F - 271°F
Have a dumb question but how do you see the exact oil temp? My gauge on the car doesn't show exact, I have to guess at the lines on the gauge.
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:05 PM   #20
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
Have a dumb question but how do you see the exact oil temp? My gauge on the car doesn't show exact, I have to guess at the lines on the gauge.
I pulled the data from a PDR video from my last track event. On a PC, you can use Cosworth Pi Toolbox to view all of the data. There are videos on youtube to get familiar with the program.

I believe you can also use an OBDII dongle and a mobile app (like Torque Pro) to pull the telemetry data, but I can't speak from experience.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
Old 07-16-2021, 09:07 PM   #21
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
Here's a quick screengrab of some of the data I was looking at in Pi Toolbox. There are a ton of variables (they're called channels in the app).
Attached Images

YouTube
Old 07-17-2021, 03:57 PM   #22
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
Here's a quick screengrab of some of the data I was looking at in Pi Toolbox. There are a ton of variables (they're called channels in the app).
Thanks for the info.
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote