Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-07-2021, 02:56 PM   #57
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
It will be collectible because it was not highly produced and had all the good go fast parts. once they get old enough and are impossible to find value will take off like a rocket. Look at the 80s and 90s pick up trucks. They were nothing special and there were millions built. 10 years ago they weren’t worth crap. Now a clean one will pull what they were new and it is climbing fast.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:14 PM   #58
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
I'd love to have a gen 5 Z28, but the trouble from am investment standpoint is I like to drive my cars, which over the course of a decade or more adds up to a lot of miles, which really impacts the value. Invest your money, drive your cars! Invested properly, your returns will likely beat the appreciation on all but the rare few autos. Case in point, I bought a '69 Boss 429 in '79, obviously a high dollar car. I sold in 2005. Doing the math indicates that I made around 9% annually not accounting for maintenance, insurance, etc.
I'm the same way. I did have a Gen 5 Z/28. Drove the crap out of it and LOVED every single minute. Sold it to get my first Porsche and I dearly miss the Z. To this day, hands down the most fun car I've ever driven (though my ZLE is starting to give it a run for the money). If I'd done it right I'd have bought two of them, one to put in storage as an investment and one to drive. To own a Z/28 and not drive it is a crime against humanity!
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 11:17 PM   #59
dbassd

Drives: 2015 Red Hot Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by semif18 View Post
I'm the same way. I did have a Gen 5 Z/28. Drove the crap out of it and LOVED every single minute. Sold it to get my first Porsche and I dearly miss the Z. To this day, hands down the most fun car I've ever driven (though my ZLE is starting to give it a run for the money). If I'd done it right I'd have bought two of them, one to put in storage as an investment and one to drive. To own a Z/28 and not drive it is a crime against humanity!
Was your Z/28 a white 2015? I see you're in Clovis and I saw one for sale at Clovis Nissan with almost 50k miles on it. That's why I ask. They were asking over $50k with almost 50k miles on the clock. I bet they got it too.
dbassd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:50 AM   #60
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Collectable? Absolutely. By the definition alone, it's low volume and no longer available so it will be highly sought after by enthusiasts for years to come.

But if by "collectable" you mean wildly valued I'm not sure sure. Are values holding? From what I see yes. But at sticker? Nope. So anyone who bought low used and has a higher value now? Awesome. But all used cars are higher in value.

Now 30 years from now when we see them at Barrett Jackson, what would they be going for? That, I think, is the nature of the question. In many cases those cars are worth much less than if you had parked the money in the stock market.......unless they are truly low volume e.g. L88 Corvettes.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:49 AM   #61
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Collectable.. for me it has to be desirable by a lot of people and have a cool factor.

Case in point.. Dodge Demon.. 3300 made (far more than the Z/28) and they are now selling on BAT (Bring a Trailer) for 120K - 140K
Camaro Z/28 just sold one on there for 50K
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...let-camaro-33/

It just does not have that *pop*

IMO I dont see them being worth more than their sticker for a good long time.
My 2 cents.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:18 PM   #62
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
The 5th gen is a good chassis and has its own qualities. Its safe and balanced on the track but harder to be competitive vs the 6th gen. I like the interior, bigger. The styling is much more distinctive in many ways. The Z/28 is one of those cool blips in a production run. The 427, no VVT, 7000 rpm redline, dry sump, last of the 'old school' cars in a lot of ways. There is always a newer model that is faster or improved, question is what captures best that moment in time and brings it all back when you get in the drivers seat. I would like to own one for that Sunday drive.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:20 PM   #63
Motor Fast

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
The 5th gen is a good chassis and has its own qualities. Its safe and balanced on the track but harder to be competitive vs the 6th gen. I like the interior, bigger. The styling is much more distinctive in many ways. The Z/28 is one of those cool blips in a production run. The 427, no VVT, 7000 rpm redline, dry sump, last of the 'old school' cars in a lot of ways. There is always a newer model that is faster or improved, question is what captures best that moment in time and brings it all back when you get in the drivers seat. I would like to own one for that Sunday drive.
This and I think a no A/C one could bring in some big money one day.
Old 09-28-2021, 07:08 AM   #64
semif18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbassd View Post
Was your Z/28 a white 2015? I see you're in Clovis and I saw one for sale at Clovis Nissan with almost 50k miles on it. That's why I ask. They were asking over $50k with almost 50k miles on the clock. I bet they got it too.
Nope that wasn't mine. Mine was AGM. I did go look at the white one on the lot and it's in really good shape for that many miles. This was my car.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2021, 07:01 PM   #65
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
The first Z I looked at was an AGM. It had a few too many miles /owners for me so I passed. I was eye-balling another AGM that was going through Mecum in Oct '19 but I stumbled upon my current ride a few weeks before. Absolutely NO regrets but I've always thought the AGM cars were super-cool.
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2021, 05:41 AM   #66
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Collectable? Absolutely. By the definition alone, it's low volume and no longer available so it will be highly sought after by enthusiasts for years to come.

But if by "collectable" you mean wildly valued I'm not sure sure. Are values holding? From what I see yes. But at sticker? Nope. So anyone who bought low used and has a higher value now? Awesome. But all used cars are higher in value.

Now 30 years from now when we see them at Barrett Jackson, what would they be going for? That, I think, is the nature of the question. In many cases those cars are worth much less than if you had parked the money in the stock market.......unless they are truly low volume e.g. L88 Corvettes.
Agree with this completely especially if you add in insurance costs and look at the time value of money. Buddy paid ~$45K new ($28K'ish stick if memory is correct) and sold it with low miles a year ago for $102K. Just basic time value of money says $45K in 1987 is $105K today. So, with insurance, maintenance, etc., he lost money and hardly drove / enjoyed the car other than looking at it and taking it to a few car shows.

If he had bought at the high in 1987 before the October plunge and put it in a S&P index fund, it'd be worth around $586K today, in today's dollars. Yes, you can make money by flipping certain new / newer cars, like my friend who will take delivery of a loaded 2022 GT3 in a week or two, at MSRP, and will make more than a dollar or two flipping it. The current used and new market is not going to last forever (probably will be nuts for 'x' more months or a year or so).

For me in my mid-50's, I drive all my cars with no real care about future value. Not saying I don't take care of them, I do very meticulously. I just don't loose sleep that the enjoyment of the "extra" miles I put on them lowers the value some. It's all a personal choice on what we do with our money and our vehicles. I'm the drive it and race it type of guy, not the clean it with a toothbrush and sit on a folding chair at a car show type of guy. Choose to be whatever makes you happy as life is too damn short. Plus, we will blink and all be bragging about how many kWh our electric car has too soon vs. listening to the lope of a big American V8 7.0L with a nice big fat cam in it.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:52 AM   #67
semif18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
Agree with this completely especially if you add in insurance costs and look at the time value of money. Buddy paid ~$45K new ($28K'ish stick if memory is correct) and sold it with low miles a year ago for $102K. Just basic time value of money says $45K in 1987 is $105K today. So, with insurance, maintenance, etc., he lost money and hardly drove / enjoyed the car other than looking at it and taking it to a few car shows.

If he had bought at the high in 1987 before the October plunge and put it in a S&P index fund, it'd be worth around $586K today, in today's dollars. Yes, you can make money by flipping certain new / newer cars, like my friend who will take delivery of a loaded 2022 GT3 in a week or two, at MSRP, and will make more than a dollar or two flipping it. The current used and new market is not going to last forever (probably will be nuts for 'x' more months or a year or so).

For me in my mid-50's, I drive all my cars with no real care about future value. Not saying I don't take care of them, I do very meticulously. I just don't loose sleep that the enjoyment of the "extra" miles I put on them lowers the value some. It's all a personal choice on what we do with our money and our vehicles. I'm the drive it and race it type of guy, not the clean it with a toothbrush and sit on a folding chair at a car show type of guy. Choose to be whatever makes you happy as life is too damn short. Plus, we will blink and all be bragging about how many kWh our electric car has too soon vs. listening to the lope of a big American V8 7.0L with a nice big fat cam in it.
Very well said!
Old 10-05-2021, 07:01 PM   #68
dbassd

Drives: 2015 Red Hot Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by semif18 View Post
Nope that wasn't mine. Mine was AGM. I did go look at the white one on the lot and it's in really good shape for that many miles. This was my car.
Nice ride man!
dbassd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:26 PM   #69
Stihl

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1 SS
Reading thru this thread, I kept thinking people were talking current bang for the buck versus future collector interest. Most collectors buy what they fondly remember or wanted from their youth. Fanboys of Demons are hung up on them, but I would not in my opinion want to invest or collect one. To each his own. I would like a Z28 now, I would consider it as a collector in the future as far as what I would buy. To each his own. How else would you explain VW vans bringing big money or Japanese cars starting to sell at auction to millennials generation people with disposable income reliving their ricer fanboy days?
Stihl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 10:26 PM   #70
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Been watching Jay Leno's Garage on YouTube. Some really interesting perspectives. Watch the 2002 Trans Am review. The z/28 definitely has the "period" feel factor that will be fun decades on. Naturally aspirated, no VVT, dry sump, seriously good looks, roomy interior. Last of the old school hot rods. The only thing I would want changed are the cradle bushings to solids.