Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-21-2018, 01:29 AM   #1
Inkedmongo

Drives: 2ss
I need some advice on HP Tuners

So I see HP tuners Pro are what a lot of people are using to tune and have remote tunes sent to their vehicles. I have also noticed they come with the 8 credits or tokens for GM.

I am planning on doing some extensive mods on my vehicle all at one time which is most likely going to lead to my entire engine coming out of the car. My questions are this:

1 - Will the HP Tuner Pro with it's credits allow me to unlock or program both my ECU and my TCM on my 2017?

2- Would my tuner be able to send me a start file based on my mods to at least get the car started to ensure everything is working properly and gather data to modify and send back for adjustments?

My end goal is to ensure everything is working as it should, get the car dyno tuned with a few various tunes for options, and it seems like it makes a lot more sense to invest in that tool for this and pay my tuner for dyno time and remote files rather than forking out money for credits on their tuner to tune my vehicle and be stuck with no way to adjust or log my vehicle later down the line.

This is all new to me with this car, so thank you in advance for any help on this.
Inkedmongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
Inkedmongo

Keep up the great work on being a helpful forum.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #3
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
I have the HP tuner pro kit sitting in my office and am about to start working with Ted to do a remote tune. If you already have a tuner you are going to be paying, you might want to ask them how they do it.

I did a remote tune in the past and this is how it worked:

1. I send him my base file from the car,
2. Tuner modifies it based on my mods (conservative starting point)
3. Then I will drive the car and log it through various driving conditions and send him the logs.
4. Tuner will update the tune...
5. rinse and repeat until done.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Once you license the vehicle you can modify the tune as many times as you want. The question will be is if the remote tuner is going to license your VIN as well, if they do it will cost them at least $200.

The caveat to that is if you have a M6 or A8 transmission. The A8 TCM has to be pulled from the car and mailed into HPT to have the security encryption released before you can tune the TCM. That alone is something like $250, then plus the $200 or in your case 4 tuning credits of the 8 you get with a new HPT purchase.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:11 PM   #5
Getinthur

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Now the HP tuners can come with however many credits you want so your not wasting credits. You will need to get a wideband sensor, I’d suggest the AEM X series that plugs into your obd 2, you then plug your Hp tuners into it and it’s syncs while logging. It’s the easiest wideband there is.
Getinthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
Inkedmongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getinthur View Post
Now the HP tuners can come with however many credits you want so your not wasting credits. You will need to get a wideband sensor, I’d suggest the AEM X series that plugs into your obd 2, you then plug your Hp tuners into it and it’s syncs while logging. It’s the easiest wideband there is.
That's the one I have for the install.

Here is my situation.

I am doing all of the wrenching on my car, and the person I plan to have tune my vehicle is about 4 hours away, so my first reason for wanting the tuner is so I can load a basic tune into the car to allow me to start the car to ensure everything is running properly for peace of mind and so I am not trailering my car 4 hours and finding out something is not right.

I also think long term it would be a good thing to have if I make changes to the car so I can just hit up my tuner and be like hey I made some changes here's the data, then get an updated tune sent to me.

My questions are :

1 - Do the people tuning require credits on their end to be able to modify tunes to send back to us to load to our cars?

2 - Will shops let you use your box while dyno tuning so you are using your credits and just paying for their time and knowledge tuning the car?
Old 06-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkedmongo View Post
That's the one I have for the install.

Here is my situation.

I am doing all of the wrenching on my car, and the person I plan to have tune my vehicle is about 4 hours away, so my first reason for wanting the tuner is so I can load a basic tune into the car to allow me to start the car to ensure everything is running properly for peace of mind and so I am not trailering my car 4 hours and finding out something is not right.

I also think long term it would be a good thing to have if I make changes to the car so I can just hit up my tuner and be like hey I made some changes here's the data, then get an updated tune sent to me.

My questions are :

1 - Do the people tuning require credits on their end to be able to modify tunes to send back to us to load to our cars?

2 - Will shops let you use your box while dyno tuning so you are using your credits and just paying for their time and knowledge tuning the car?
1- Yes
2-tuner dependent.

If the closest tuner is 4 hours away you should consider a remote tuning solution, then you are part of the process.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:33 PM   #8
Inkedmongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
1- Yes
2-tuner dependent.

If the closest tuner is 4 hours away you should consider a remote tuning solution, then you are part of the process.

Ted.
How would you compare remote tunes from data sent via customers long distance vs cars you get to tune on your personal dyno?

What are the cost of credits for a remote tuner to be able to adjust tunes on 1 - ECU and 2 TCM?
Old 06-26-2018, 07:37 AM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
How would you compare remote tunes from data sent via customers long distance vs cars you get to tune on your personal dyno?

What are the cost of credits for a remote tuner to be able to adjust tunes on 1 - ECU and 2 TCM?
I use exactly the same processes, and data acquisition software, the only real difference is you don't get a print out.

I was street tuning for 20 years before I got my dyno in 2002, Yes I am that old.

ECM is 4 credits, TCM is 4 credits plus unlock service before we get started.

FSCM is 1 credit if needed.

You will also need a wide band I recommend the AEM X series we carry and Vent mounted pod.

Ted.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:13 PM   #10
Inkedmongo

Quote:
I use exactly the same processes, and data acquisition software, the only real difference is you don't get a print out.

I was street tuning for 20 years before I got my dyno in 2002, Yes I am that old.

ECM is 4 credits, TCM is 4 credits plus unlock service before we get started.

FSCM is 1 credit if needed.

You will also need a wide band I recommend the AEM X series we carry and Vent mounted pod.

Ted.
What all does the FSCM allow to be changed? I recall reading it needs unlocked to disable AFM modules when doing full exhaust with aftermarket midpipes.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:25 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
What all does the FSCM allow to be changed? I recall reading it needs unlocked to disable AFM modules when doing full exhaust with aftermarket midpipes.
That and fuel pressure adjustments.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:22 PM   #12
Inkedmongo

Quote:
That and fuel pressure adjustments.
Nice. Thank you for all of the helpful information. It's very appreciated.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:10 AM   #13
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Nice. Thank you for all of the helpful information. It's very appreciated.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:52 AM   #14
Brianw36
SNSTRSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
I have a 2016 2SS A8. I used only 2 credits for all programming. I have flashed ecm, tcm, and FSCM. Tuning engine, transmission, and fuel pump settings. Did I miss something about a credit for FSCM? I added a zl1 in tank pump and the new settings for it and was never asked to acquire a credit for it.