Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 05-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #29
CanAmMan

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS
Been running Wix filters in all our vehicles for 35+ years.

Always have a few on hand.
Attached Images

CanAmMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #30
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
fram ultra any day on all the vehicles i have (or the wife has) and have had.

Though, even cheapy / poorly filtering filters will let your car last basically forever if you change the filter when the car tells you or sooner. Unless the bypass valve is out of spec.

we're tossing full synth oil out every like what, 5000 miles if you go by the oil life countdown in the car or suggested intervals in the manual? Way before that oil is broken down enough to start making the filter really work to protect the motor.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:32 PM   #31
getchapull
TEXIT

Drives: 2019 ZL1 M6
Just put in the Wix WL10290XP filter (22 PSI) and Royal Purple oil. So far so good.

Oil pressure is a tad better now and engine is less noisy and purrs along more smoothly.
getchapull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:34 PM   #32
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
K&N oil filters are garbage. You start poking around and you'll find stories of them sticking to the engine (even when properly installed) and then that little pot metal nut on the end (that is the ONLY thing you can grab it by), rounds off and then comes apart like the recycled old Frigidaire emblem metal that it is, and you have to employ harsh methods to remove the old filter. Hammer and chisel, unless you can get some kind of strap wrench on it, and even then don't count on anything more than the filter body deforming. And, yes, I have seen this first hand. Whee.

And, K&N air filters let more dirt into your engine than an OEM filter does, so those are just swell, too.
+1 on this one... modern day STP in my opinion. All marketing and no hat.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:16 PM   #33
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Fram ultra is good, wix is good but skip the xp, supposedly that one gets longer life by not filtering as well.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:12 PM   #34
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i use wix. WL10255.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:43 PM   #35
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Best Oil Filters 2021 – Buyer’s Guide and Reviews

I changed to Royal Purple filters when K&N was bought by Fram and became shit. Combined with 0W40 Mobil 1 ESP Motor Oil. I feel my engine is getting the best.

Quote:
1. Royal Purple Extended Life Oil Filter – The best oil filter

Royal Purple is an American manufacturer specializing in lubricants for many different types of vehicles. They’ve been around since 1986, which is pretty short compared to some of the other big players out there. Despite this; they’ve developed a large and loyal fan-base thanks to their high quality products.

In the extended life oil filter, Royal Purple have shown why they continue to be one of the leading manufacturers when it comes to all things auto-care.

Let’s get down to the important thing – the numbers. This filter provides 99% efficiency at 25 microns thanks to the 100% synthetic micro-glass media. The synthetic fibers are extremely compact and fine, preventing almost all contaminants from getting through. You can be assured that the dirty oil entering the filter is coming out clean and ready to service your engine.

All components ooze quality. A nitrile rubber base gasket is used to prevent leaks as well as a silicone anti-drain back valve to prevent dry starts. The end caps, centre tube and bypass valve are all metal and will provide a lifespan comfortably over 10,000 miles. It’s an impressive number and makes the relatively high cost of this filter well worth it. The shell housing the filtration system is extra thick as well, which will keep the internal components safe from things like road debris.

When it’s all said and done, it’s pretty hard to figure out what truly is the best oil filter. There are just so many variables. If you were to ask 5 people which one they prefer, you’d end up getting 5 different answers.

However; based on all our research and from speaking to customers who’ve purchased this filter, all signs point to a product that may well be the best of its category. We wouldn’t blame you for going with something else a little down this list but we will blame you if you don’t at least consider this excellent oil filter from Royal Purple.

https://www.yourbestpicks.com/best-oil-filters-reviews/

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:42 PM   #36
getchapull
TEXIT

Drives: 2019 ZL1 M6
I run Royal Purple extended life oil filter in my truck but not for my Z. Last I checked the camaro sized RP oil filter did not have the correct 22 PSI by-pass valve setting spec for the LT engine?
getchapull is offline   Reply With Quote