Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-25-2018, 07:53 PM   #15
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Didn’t read thread (yet). My preference:

-Ultra light weight 3,000lbs
-600hp NA Engine
-no creature comforts
-manual
-315mm r compounds square
-COMPLETLY defeatable TC/SC
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:11 PM   #16
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Remember this thread is about what you want to see and what is needed to make it a Z/28. You never know who’s looking here.

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:45 PM   #17
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
My Z/28 wish....

1. Light weighted ZL1 1LE chassis with aero under 3500 lbs

2. DOHC NA 650 plus hp V8 that revs past 7800 rpm but has good low end torque

3. Dual clutch transmission that can handle in excess of 650 ft lbs of torque and 9K rpm limit

4. Carbon ceramic brake rotors to help lower mass

5. Carbon fiber wheels to lower unsprung weight and rotational mass

6. HD/4K track camera standard

7. Build 1 less car than the market demands
Old 01-26-2018, 05:47 AM   #18
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The GT3 doesn’t stop the GT2 or GT4. Some people want maximum horsepower and interior gadgets. Some want n/a and stripped down. You can do both, if they wanted to.
GM and Porsche are quite different when looking at their automobile lineage. Porsche is in the auto game to make high-end, performance vehicles. Chevrolet makes a plethora of vehicles: Sedans, coupes, trucks, SUV's, CUV's, etc.. IMHO, Chevrolet already provides their customers with many options when it comes to performance, considering that is not their only focus...like it is with Porsche.

Considering their recent financial troubles and unsold 5th Gen Z/28 sitting on lots for ~1-2 years...I would think GM wouldn't want to make another limited run, niche vehicle that will (if they're lucky) allow them to financially break even on such a project.

We shall see. It will be interesting to see what unfolds.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:01 AM   #19
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
For those that have never driven a 680 hp Z/28, you will never know what it can do. That being said, if GM can solve some emissions problems (mostly on startup) while still keeping it NA than I think we will see a big bore engine in the 650 hp range.

The need for a NA engine for track use is because of the heat generated with SC. Along with the added weight for all that cooling.

The next Z/28 will need:

Light weight with more carbon fiber.
A NA engine w/ more HP, rev past 7800, higher compression and stronger cam (s).
More aero design.
7 sp tranny or dual clutch.
Heaver axle with new differential.
Priced below a ZL1/ 1LE.

If the warranty needs to be cut down to bare min, so be it. It will be a track car anyways.

I can wish, can't I?
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #20
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
My Z/28 wish....

1. Light weighted ZL1 1LE chassis with aero under 3500 lbs

2. DOHC NA 650 plus hp V8 that revs past 8000 rpm but has good low end torque

3. Dual clutch transmission that can handle in excess of 650 ft lbs of torque and 9K rpm limit, use this trans TR-9007 DCT that fits the bill.

4. Carbon ceramic brake rotors to help lower mass

5. Carbon fiber wheels to lower unsprung weight and rotational mass

6. HD/4K track camera standard

7. Build 200 cars per year only
Fixed it for you.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #21
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Thanks
Old 01-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #22
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Fixed it for you.
Why does it need to be limited to 200 a year?!? 1000% disagree!
Old 01-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #23
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Why does it need to be limited to 200 a year?!? 1000% disagree!
The car they spec'd, which I would buy if limited to 200 -250 per year, would likely be a $85k plus Camaro. No one wants to throw away money, so if they build too many and kill the re-sale market, like the Gen 5, then it is hard to justify buying a $85k Camaro, knowing in spite of it performance prowess you will drop $30k in the first year or two.

If you want to build the top of the pyramid, you will have to charge for it. The market for an $85k + Camaro is pretty small!
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:54 PM   #24
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
GM and Porsche are quite different when looking at their automobile lineage. Porsche is in the auto game to make high-end, performance vehicles. Chevrolet makes a plethora of vehicles: Sedans, coupes, trucks, SUV's, CUV's, etc.. IMHO, Chevrolet already provides their customers with many options when it comes to performance, considering that is not their only focus...like it is with Porsche.

Considering their recent financial troubles and unsold 5th Gen Z/28 sitting on lots for ~1-2 years...I would think GM wouldn't want to make another limited run, niche vehicle that will (if they're lucky) allow them to financially break even on such a project.

We shall see. It will be interesting to see what unfolds.
They built more Z/28s in 2 years than Ford built GT350Rs in 3. That was the issue with the Z/28, not the fact it was a high performance track car. If GM limited the number of cars built each year and kept some content in the interior, say SS 1LE type interior, they would have no problem selling them.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:16 PM   #25
RedonBlackRS

Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Combine our Z/28 hopes with the confirmation of repackaging for the sake of a lower priced V8 variant, and here's my idea:

1LS V8: $33,495
Basic, cheap V8 for lower entry point and hooliganism.
Charging $6,500 over a 1LS 2.0T for the LT1 and associated hardware, nothing else.
Still 18" wheels 245/50/18 all around. Makes for a great burnout machine. Not chasing lateral grip numbers like SS models.
Would have SS-style fascia but without LEDs.
No SS hood vents or rear wing, remember we're trying to be cheap.
Base DIC and 7" MyLink

1LS V8 w/ Z/28 package: $40,495
Think 1LE for SS models, but light instead of luxurious.
$7,000 over 1LS V8 to pay for ZL1 1LE-style parts like:
Hood with plastic instead of carbon insert and no vinyl wrap
Thinner, lighter rear glass
18 or 19" Wheels, 285 front, 305 rear
Smaller, lighter Brembos
DSSVs
Low-profile ZL1 1LE wing we saw in prototype stage, in plastic to keep price low
SS 1LE front splitter.

Still no leather, LEDs, Bose, HUD, PDR, etc... Base cluster, DIC, and 7" MyLink. Free-flowing exhaust instead of heavy, expensive NPP. It's supposed to be loud, not polite like SS models.

This brings Z/28 back to being affordable and high performing.
Basic, but not stripped to one speaker and no trunk lining like the 5th gen.
Most importantly, it adds variety. With the LS trim offering three engines, and good personality differences between SS and Z/28.
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:53 PM   #26
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I'm thinking, forget the idea that the Z/28 has to be the "top dog", or the "street legal race car" idea.

Just keep it simple, drop an N/A V8, (and please, not something that has to be at 6,500 rpm to feel it) into the ZL1 1LE chassis and call it a day. Make it something that can be daily driven, really fun on the track. I would imagine that this price out at ZL1 levels, or perhaps just a few bucks cheaper than the Z-1LE.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:21 AM   #27
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
Al wants a sub-7 minute car. The ZL1 already has more power than a Viper ACR or Huracan Performante and the alpha platform is one of the best chassis in existence. The suspension setup is as good as it gets and the tires are basically racing slicks. However, the ZL1 1LE is behind in two major areas: Weight and Aerodynamics. The Viper ACR weighs in below 3,400lbs, as does the Performante. I believe that there’s a plethora of ways to reduce weight in the ZL1 1LE without the extensive use of expensive materials:
1. Corvette Competition seats
2. Rear seat delete
3. Revised exhaust with a much smaller muffler
4. Carbon Ceramic Brakes
5. Aluminum wheels
6. Lightweight alloy suspension and chassis components
7. Basic headlights
8. Basic interior with 1SS-like features, no luxury stuff

These could bring the weight of the ZL1 1LE down to 3,400lbs or less.

The Wing on the 1LE is cool, as are the canards, but more downforce and better aerodynamics are needed to accomplish a lap time of less than 7 minutes. I’m not saying that they need to make an ACR style wing, but something along the lines of the ZR1 wing would be great. Also borrowing from the ZR1, an underbody diffuser in below the engine could keep the front end stable and grippy without the use of bigger splitters and canards.

The price honestly doesn’t matter. If they can set a Nurburgring record or something close to it, and the car looks and sounds badass, people will buy it for as much as $120,000. No, it wouldn’t sell much, but it would really help the sales of the entire Camaro lineup. Huracan Performantes sold like hotcakes whenever they became available because people knew how absurd the performance was and how cool of a car it is. Imagine the respect the Camaro would get if it beat the GT2 RS and Performante around the Nurburgring and win every magazine test/competition out there. I know none of this seems very realistic when talking about GM, but GM is perfectly capable of making such a car.
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #28
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post
Al wants a sub-7 minute car. The ZL1 already has more power than a Viper ACR or Huracan Performante and the alpha platform is one of the best chassis in existence. The suspension setup is as good as it gets and the tires are basically racing slicks. However, the ZL1 1LE is behind in two major areas: Weight and Aerodynamics. The Viper ACR weighs in below 3,400lbs, as does the Performante. I believe that there’s a plethora of ways to reduce weight in the ZL1 1LE without the extensive use of expensive materials:
1. Corvette Competition seats
2. Rear seat delete
3. Revised exhaust with a much smaller muffler
4. Carbon Ceramic Brakes
5. Aluminum wheels
6. Lightweight alloy suspension and chassis components
7. Basic headlights
8. Basic interior with 1SS-like features, no luxury stuff

These could bring the weight of the ZL1 1LE down to 3,400lbs or less.

The Wing on the 1LE is cool, as are the canards, but more downforce and better aerodynamics are needed to accomplish a lap time of less than 7 minutes. I’m not saying that they need to make an ACR style wing, but something along the lines of the ZR1 wing would be great. Also borrowing from the ZR1, an underbody diffuser in below the engine could keep the front end stable and grippy without the use of bigger splitters and canards.

The price honestly doesn’t matter. If they can set a Nurburgring record or something close to it, and the car looks and sounds badass, people will buy it for as much as $120,000. No, it wouldn’t sell much, but it would really help the sales of the entire Camaro lineup. Huracan Performantes sold like hotcakes whenever they became available because people knew how absurd the performance was and how cool of a car it is. Imagine the respect the Camaro would get if it beat the GT2 RS and Performante around the Nurburgring and win every magazine test/competition out there. I know none of this seems very realistic when talking about GM, but GM is perfectly capable of making such a car.

You have some great points Quinten, but would the car be able to sell? The Huracan Performante, Porchse GT2 RS, etc.... all achieve impressive times with a luxury interior, as does the ZL1 1LE. I strongly believe the Z/28 didn't sell well because of the stripped interior.

The fact I can track my car, and drive it on the weekends is the reason I bought it. My good friend has a Huracan Performante and doesn't even track it, just a fun weekend car.

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote