AWE Tuning

Old 05-20-2021, 08:53 PM   #267
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Great post, very helpful, as are your other posts. Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
You have 4 choices:

1. All off and it is up to your talent to manage any tire overslip at a start and then any yaw as the run continues. In other words, no TC at the start and no Stabilitrack are present here and control of the car is 100% up to your skill. Zero nannies to assist ya.

2. Competitive Mode, which eliminates TC so it is up to you to manage any tire overslip at a start as you have full power all the time, but Stabilitrack is present to help manage any excessive yaw if the car gets squirrely during the run.

3. PTM Race, which is a reverse of the above: race level TC will manage and excessive tire overslip at a start by adjusting power for best forward performance, but there is no Stabilitrack to help with any excessive yaw during the run.

4. PTM Sport 1, which includes a slightly more aggressive TC setting so it will intervene during tire overslip more vs PTM Race and Stabilitrack to help manage any excessive yaw.

Hope this helps. Btw "yaw" is an angle between where the car is heading vs steering input. So, if the car is heading dead straight and the steering input is dead straight the measured yaw is zero. But, if a car is heading in a different direction vs intended steering input, there will be a yaw value. Such as during cornering, or even a straight run when you hit a bump and the car's balance will be disrupted and to go straight a steering input will be necessary. Stabilitrack measures the yaw and will intervene (by applying brakes at a given wheel) to help a driver bring the car back to balance, if it decides that the yaw is excessive. Without Stabilitrack, it is fully up to a driver to manage such situations (which if left uncorrected may result in a spin). Hope this helps. I am not gonna recommend one over the other, as choosing what nannies to retain is a personal decision. Note that excessive yaw doesn't just happen on road courses. Many a drag racer went into a wall because of it.
So, pick the right solution that matches your skill level and your appetite for potential risk. Cheers!
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:17 AM   #268
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Thank you! Appreciate your kind words!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:26 AM   #269
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Quote:
Thank you! Appreciate your kind words!
Yeah, seriously, I don't even track my car yet, but I keep a record of these posts offline and study them. Thank you so much for the investment of your time and energy.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:50 AM   #270
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Yeah, seriously, I don't even track my car yet, but I keep a record of these posts offline and study them. Thank you so much for the investment of your time and energy.
Thanks very much! Well, i got tons of great info from this Forum over the years, so just trying to share my experience and give something back. Cheers!
Old 06-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #271
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
Great thread. Thanks for the effort in putting all this together. I read all 20 pages and got all my questions answered.
Old 06-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #272
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakCamaro View Post
Great thread. Thanks for the effort in putting all this together. I read all 20 pages and got all my questions answered.
Thanks and glad to hear it was of assistance to ya. Cheers!
Old 06-21-2021, 08:25 AM   #273
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2ltr View Post
I'm a visual person so I made this. I think it's right. Feel free to point out errors

One thing that came up was what was the difference between pressing the TC button once vs twice in Sport mode?
One turns off TC and one turns on Competitive mode, which also turns off TC.
I'm guessing there is a difference in the ESC tuning?

V1.0 - Initial
v2.0
  • Changed "Short press" to "Single Press"
  • Changed "yes" to "On" for consistency.
  • Corrected stabilitrac value for Single TC press in track mode
  • Colored in some cells
  • Added notes
v2.2
  • Fixed typo
  • also include PDF in zip file

Update: Included source spreadsheet.
Someone should send this to Chevrolet for inclusion in their Manuals.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:07 PM   #274
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Reviving this as after 20 reading pages...I am still confused!

I tried a test where I lapped with TC/ESC off - (hold 5 seconds) vs lapping in Race Mode -

I did this test back to back and lapped faster in Race Mode by .6 The car felt the same on exits, but was absolutely more stable on entries and mid-corner. (E-diff 3 vs 2 I believe)

So....is Race the least intrusive overall electronics you can use?

Ken

Edit - These laps were The Ridge with the Chicane and done as a test. I did lap faster than this, 1:55.9, but it was earlier in the day and I wanted to do this back to back. I also used Race Mode for my PB lap without the chicane.
Attached Images

khcoaching is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:32 PM   #275
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
Reviving this as after 20 reading pages...I am still confused!

I tried a test where I lapped with TC/ESC off - (hold 5 seconds) vs lapping in Race Mode...So....is Race the least intrusive overall electronics you can use?
If I'm reading this right, you turned the TC/ESC off but while you were in the default (Tour) mode? The least intrusive overall is when you put your car in Race Mode first, and then turn the TC/ESC off by holding the button until both indicator lights come on. That is the "all nannies off" mode.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:14 PM   #276
khcoaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
If I'm reading this right, you turned the TC/ESC off but while you were in the default (Tour) mode? The least intrusive overall is when you put your car in Race Mode first, and then turn the TC/ESC off by holding the button until both indicator lights come on. That is the "all nannies off" mode.
Good question! I'm pretty sure I had it in Race Mode and then held it for 5 seconds. (I was also driving my BMW that day and for that car, you hold the TC button down for 5 seconds and it has its own "DSC off" mode) So yes, I am assuming I did, but great reminder!

To be clear - You toggle to Track mode, hit TC twice and scroll for Race mode, then hold for 5 seconds for everything off?

Ken
Old 07-21-2021, 06:10 AM   #277
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by khcoaching View Post
Good question! I'm pretty sure I had it in Race Mode and then held it for 5 seconds. (I was also driving my BMW that day and for that car, you hold the TC button down for 5 seconds and it has its own "DSC off" mode) So yes, I am assuming I did, but great reminder!

To be clear - You toggle to Track mode, hit TC twice and scroll for Race mode, then hold for 5 seconds for everything off?

Ken
Nope. You select Track mode THEN hold the TC button for 5 seconds until both indicators light up on a dash for ALL nannies off (without selecting PTM Mode).

But do note, you can turn off all nannies in any driving mode, so:

Per the above responses, I suspect you were in Tour mode and everything off, as PTM Race and All off in Track mode should feel the same on entries and mid corner. The only difference between them (apart from slightly different Ediff mode which is inconsequential feel wise) is a race calibrated TC in PTM Race, which will prevent excessive wheel spin on EXITS. Otherwise the car should feel exactly the same everywhere else.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
Old 07-21-2021, 09:01 AM   #278
khcoaching

Quote:
Nope. You select Track mode THEN hold the TC button for 5 seconds until both indicators light up on a dash for ALL nannies off (without selecting PTM Mode).

But do note, you can turn off all nannies in any driving mode, so:

Per the above responses, I suspect you were in Tour mode and everything off, as PTM Race and All off in Track mode should feel the same on entries and mid corner. The only difference between them (apart from slightly different Ediff mode which is inconsequential feel wise) is a race calibrated TC in PTM Race, which will prevent excessive wheel spin on EXITS. Otherwise the car should feel exactly the same everywhere else.

Hope this helps. Cheers!
Thanks!...I'll make sure I get my routine down next time.

I went back and looked at my data last night, creating and breaking down split times and for sure there was a difference in the modes I was using.

Ken
Old 07-21-2021, 03:05 PM   #279
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2ltr View Post
I'm a visual person so I made this. I think it's right. Feel free to point out errors

One thing that came up was what was the difference between pressing the TC button once vs twice in Sport mode?
One turns off TC and one turns on Competitive mode, which also turns off TC.
I'm guessing there is a difference in the ESC tuning?

V1.0 - Initial
v2.0
  • Changed "Short press" to "Single Press"
  • Changed "yes" to "On" for consistency.
  • Corrected stabilitrac value for Single TC press in track mode
  • Colored in some cells
  • Added notes
v2.2
  • Fixed typo
  • also include PDF in zip file

Update: Included source spreadsheet.
Is sport competitive mode really normal throttle? I could swear it feels like track throttle to me? I thought any competitive mode defaults to the linear throttle, as well as track.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:58 PM   #280
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Right. And just to be very clear, keep holding it until the yellow indicator lights for both the TC Off and Stabilitrak Off come on (see pic below). If you don't wait that long, your nannies will still be active.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 395
Size:  57.3 KB

Last edited by Msquared; 07-22-2021 at 07:46 AM.
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote