Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 07-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #15
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
"Then we take the top barb (vacuum source) and run a hose from this to one of the outer fittings on the Elite can. Make sure you install a checkvalve in this line flowing AWAY from the can."

Didn't know I needed this. Do you offer a valve on your website (link please!)?

Thank you
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:05 AM   #16
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
OK- found it!
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/h...-in-line-hose/
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:11 AM   #17
Hyper1SS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
I did fabricate a bracket that connects to the pulley on the passenger side in front of the engine in front of the drive belt. But was nervous with it being a bolt for the pulley to the engine block. This would give plenty of room to unscrew the catch can to drain without unbolting anything.
Attached Images

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer

Last edited by Hyper1SS; 07-29-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:08 PM   #18
RonAndersonJr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchittd View Post
Update: Got the correct mount and absolutely love it now, the stainless steel line is a nice touch
did you make the bracket or did you get it from Elite?
RonAndersonJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:01 AM   #19
Hyper1SS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAndersonJr View Post
The bracket he has is from Elite.

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:49 AM   #20
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAndersonJr View Post
Correct. From elite, but I had to drill the hole bigger to fit the bolt on the strut tower.

Sorry haven't checked in in a few days
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:52 PM   #21
02fbody35th

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I like the idea of the dual outlet catch can, but I have a few questions regarding your install. 1) you said that the outlets needed to have check valves installed but your install picture doesn't seem to have any check valves? 2) you said that the barb coming from the valley is a factory check valve, and that this line runs to the center of your can with no check valve added. But in the picture it looks like the center barb on your can has a check valve in it. Is this correct? 3) you mentioned modifying the clean side separator system. Is this necessary? Is the factory one insufficient? I ask these questions because I'm very interested and I do believe that a catch can is useful. I just need some clarification. Thanks Elite engineering
Old 09-05-2016, 12:28 PM   #22
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
OK Elite, I could use some help with these posted directions.

First, clean/fresh side air enters the engine crankcase from a hose connected to one of the oil sump wings on the drivers side of the air bridge assy. This is filtered, MAF metered and then enters a factory cleanside separation tank (no separation from the factory on the dirty/foul side of the PCV system where 90% plus of the oil and other contaminates enter the intake air charge.

From the factory separation tank, this fresh air then splits and travels to each valve cover.

Are you sure about this? Are you talking about the air/oil separator? If you are, isn't the flow just backwards from what you state? I think it pulls the air/oil out of the valve covers, through the separator with the oil returned to the sump and the air to the intake.

With the Elite E2 and E2-X dual valve systems (only proper system for the new GM GDI V8 engines) we replace the factory oil fill cap with the Elite billet CSS and then delete the factory line from the clean side oil sump and factory tank and cap the tank side with the enclosed 1/2” vacuum cap.

Then we connect the CSS barb (1/2” barb and hose) to the barb on the oil sump located on the drivers side of the air bridge assy. That completes the clean side of the system (ignore these steps if NOT running the CSS as the factory setup will work somewhat well IF you run the dual valve catch can, but we recommend installing the CSS as these GDI engines cannot tolerate ANY ingestion).

With the air/oil separator, do you need the CSS?

The lower barb is the Factory PCV connection. This is where the foul contaminate laden vapors exit the crankcase and are drawn into the intake manifold and contaminate the intake air charge from this point. Underneath this barb is a fixed orifice check valve (we have been using these for years, GM just recently added them) and that is how the flow is controlled. You connect the lower barb to the center of the can with no other valves inline. Then we take the top barb (vacuum source) and run a hose from this to one of the outer fittings on the Elite can. Make sure you install a checkvalve in this line flowing AWAY from the can. This will provide crankcase evacuation suction when at idle, cruise, and deceleration utilizing intake manifold vacuum for the suction source.

The second outer fitting on the can with checkvalve flowing AWAY from the can, will attach to a barb you install just in front of the throttle body (as close to the TB as possible). We supply the barb, and you simply drill with a 3/8” drill bit into the soft portion of the air bridge assy. Right on the top and then firmly push the thread portion of the 90* fitting into the hole. This will take over and provide suction to continue crankcase evacuation when intake manifold is not present, during acceleration and at WOT. This drastically improves the functions of the PCV system while still retaining emissions compliance. Note: This is CRITCAL with all GDI engines, as if left with a single outlet can any time your accelerating crankcase pressure is allowed to build and this not only pushes backwards out the clean side, it also is the period when the suspended contaminates entering as blow-by settle and mix with the engine oil instead of being removed via the PCV system.

I have a PD supercharger and it's not clear to me if I actually need the second outer fitting. I suspect that I do since the supercharger has a bypass and can go near atmospheric on closed throttle.

Thanks for your help.

Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:37 AM   #23
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Hi Atomic Ed,

Yes it is, the LT GM GDI V8 based engines between the Corvette 2014 and up, and GM trucks 2014 and up, and Camaro 2016 and up (and the Impala SS, etc. ALL work the same. Clean filtered fresh air enters both valve covers from the air box "wings" or mufflers. Only the dry sump versions vary a bit, but still the same functions. And the valve covers have the fresh incoming air fittings in the center of the valve cover VS the ends.

Here is a great video that explains it all in detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL8F9vp3BYE

Filtered fresh incoming air enters both valve covers where it flushes and replaces the foul oil and other contaminate laden vapors out that are evacuation (sucked out) the valley cover barb located under the throttle body pointing towards the drivers side front.

You NEVER want those vapors flowing out backwards into the air intake assembly. Using the Elite dual valve (one inlet, dual outlets) is the best solution for all GDI applications, with the E2-X being the most effective can on the market and includes all you need including 2 of the billet checkvalves. With your PD blower, you have an advantage over a NA engine as you will have constant evacuation suction available, but if you ever run WOT (most do) the second outlet uses additional evacuation capacity of the are just in front of the throttle body when you need it most.

The CSS is critical as it routes all incoming air through it and then it splits inside the drivers side valve cover and travels to the passenger side as well through our "bridge" connection. You then cap the one air bridge "wing" as you are now using only one for MAF metered fresh filtered incoming air. The CSS has a separating chamber internally with stainless steel coalescing media so that and brief periods back-flow could occur, it traps that oil preventing ingestion via the clean, or fresh side.

As you can also see, Elite has been using the check valves for years, and GM recently added a internal checkvalve in the PCV barb assy and all GDI engines as well.

Hope this helps answer your questions, and as always you can email or technical support team direct at: Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com

Also, the bracket for these that use the E2-X series of our catchcans for GDI engines we have a long "L" bracket to mount in that location.

We also include the OEM fittings for the "valve cover cross-over tube" between valve covers, and we sell the billet checkvalves separate if desired.

Do it right, do it once, Elite Engineering USA.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #24
AdvanSuper

Drives: 1SS HBM w/MRC NPP
Does no one make a VTA or can some engines not use VTA?
AdvanSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #25
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
OK, I understand the the PCV install, but not following you on the CSS. Are you saying to bypass the air-oil seperator on the passenger side, front of the engine, circled below? If so, why doesn't this system work?

Name:  air-oil.JPG
Views: 1228
Size:  104.7 KB
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:33 AM   #26
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Is the clean side seperator different from the LS3 one. I just bought a E2 for my 17 Camaro SS LT1. I see you say 1/2" barb. my CSS has a 3/8" barb on it. What do i need to make my 5th gen CSS work on my 6th? appears to be a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter and some 1/2" hose? thanks
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1

Last edited by JCunningham; 04-22-2017 at 04:59 AM.
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:36 PM   #27
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Mine came with a split washer but no bolt. But I do not see a M8 bolt hole that would work with the bracket I was sent. there is a M8 hole but its on the front of the head and would cause the CC to be sideways with my bracket. It will not fit in the spot I see people putting the single port CC. drivers side support bracket by brake reservoir. There is a hose i assume for the engine sound and a hard vacuum line in the way that if moved would be too close to the exhaust manifold.
anyone install it as Elites instructions and have pics?
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:52 PM   #28
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The factory is really a good version of a cleanside separator! If opting to use the Elite Engineering Clean Side billet unit as well, on the driverside valve cover you would replace the oil fill cap and the hard line from the factory separator will then connect to the hard line that runs from the OEM unit to the drivers side valve cover and cap the valve cover barb then left open. It should be 3/8" line you use from the factory box to the CSS. This gives an added degree of protection on top of GM's pretty good solution already!
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote