Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 07-08-2021, 12:05 AM   #1
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
First time to VIR

Hey guys.. i've done a handful of track days but first time to VIR. What a fun track! Don't mind the banter in the video, i normally have a mic on the bumper to censor my snarky comments out lol.

Event was with Chin ... before you accuse me of sandbagging in the novice group, I went out with an instructor on day 2 for what i THOUGHT was a check-ride (we went out in the intermediate/blue group)... about 15min into the session he told me to drop him off and finish the session without him which seemed to say "you passed." (I was probably in the top 25% of the group.) Oddly, when I went to get my blue wristband, one of the guys in charge(?) told me the instructor i went out with wasn't a "check off" instructor and i'd have to go again. i expressed my confusion and let them know i didn't feel like spending another session with one of their instructors, but i clearly shouldn't be in the Novice group. the instructor I had gone out with got scolded by the other staff member, then came up to me and said "oh, yeah that was just a coaching session to get you ready for the check off ride, it's how Chin does it". i just laughed realizing it was a bunch of nonsense and finished the weekend in the novice group. Didn't have anyone to play lead/follow with but it was nice to give my left arm a break after my recent trip to COTA (IMSA prep-day). I won't let a couple bad apples ruin my view of Chin but they definitely lost some points with this poor management. They should've been able to advance me just by watching a session from the wall. I'm obviously not a hotshoe but novice group was inappropriate for me. With the massive amount of experience the staff has, i'm surprised they didn't recognize that and do the right thing. /rant.

enjoy the video and feel free to tell me where i need to go faster on my next trip... new favorite track.

https://youtu.be/VhYPateV0D4
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2021, 09:09 AM   #2
Silent_H_

Drives: '21 V6 1LE
Awesome!
Silent_H_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:29 AM   #3
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Nice job. Was at VIR a couple weeks ago with Chin. I have ran several tracks with Chin and never have had an issue. Next time ask for Justin or Will with Chin they have always have been very helpful.
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:07 AM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
so where are you located and how was cota vs vir ?

you gotta get some gloves btw! they help alot on track especially in hot or humid weather
Old 07-08-2021, 05:17 PM   #5
Paulman

Drives: Slow Corolla
It's perfectly fine to sign up in a lower experience group at a new track. You must have had an instructor in Novice group, so the right way for Chin to handle it would have been to allow that same instructor to go out with you in Intermediate group at bare minimum and then solo you if they felt it was OK.

I agree - "check instructors" for moving up is getting ridiculous. Maybe next time bring your "resume" of experience showing a history of higher run groups that you've run with.

I didn't watch your whole video, but I think you did very well for a first time at VIR. If anything maybe try a couple of turns with a later apex like Turn 3. You picked a great favorite track!
Paulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:42 PM   #6
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
you did well but are hesitant during transitions due to lack of track knowledge. Your car control is great and your lap times will plummet with more experience at VIR. In the scariest turn 10, you were a boss which baffles me but shows great promise for everywhere you left time on the table.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:13 PM   #7
weemus

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Great for your first time at VIR! If you watch some video there is some improvement in the uphill Esses. It takes some time getting used to them as they are are a timing and commitment exercise but very excellent for your first outing!
I was thrown into Novice as well last year at Road Atlanta due to never running with Chin or that track. That how it goes some times. I got my check ride and my instructor (Viper owner) kept asking me if my car was a ZL1?! I finally caught up with my check ride instructor but he pulled into the pits :(
Fun runs at the end of the day set Chin apart amongst other things.
weemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:39 PM   #8
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by weemus View Post
Great for your first time at VIR! If you watch some video there is some improvement in the uphill Esses. It takes some time getting used to them as they are are a timing and commitment exercise but very excellent for your first outing!
I was thrown into Novice as well last year at Road Atlanta due to never running with Chin or that track. That how it goes some times. I got my check ride and my instructor (Viper owner) kept asking me if my car was a ZL1?! I finally caught up with my check ride instructor but he pulled into the pits :(
Fun runs at the end of the day set Chin apart amongst other things.
Glad you have fun, and I guess sometimes you have to take it on the Chin!
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:24 PM   #9
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Seat time = Lap Time.

Just keep making time to hit road courses every chance you get.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:31 PM   #10
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
I am in love with VIR!!!
Been there once and cannot stop thinking about going back!!!!

I also was with CHIN and they put me in on level above beginner!!
See instructor in the car?
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:37 PM   #11
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I always love watching your track vids. The sound is amazing. What kind of laps were you turning at VIR?
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote