Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 06-07-2021, 08:24 AM   #1
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Coolant flush

We’re up on the the 5 year mark guys.

How are you doing the coolant flush

Has anyone tried rotella elc nf, shows to have a bit better heat transfer and is listed as compatible with dexcool

Is it just better to spend the $190 so they use a fluid exchange machine at a shop?
Old 06-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Given what i see inside parts taken off my 5+ year old car with only 44k on it .... I would be very suspect on how anything that says it's compatible with dexcool actually is.

Dexcool leaves a film of residue on the surfaces of everything it touches. It's the reaction to that residue that I would be worried about with any other fluid.

On one hand, i'd be all for getting the professional flush vs draining and having to deal with the waste in a way that isn't just pouring it into the property where you do it at or down the drain.

On the other hand, you aren't supposed to use tap water with dexcool and i'd be concerned that a dealer isn't going to be using purified water to mix with their bulk - concentrated fluid they probably purchase. And any such problems stemming from that wouldn't be noticeable for years ...so there is little reason for them to care.

edit: also, unless you're going way beyond stock power... i'm not sure how the stock cooling system is insufficient. It ran the ring with that cooling system without overheating. The liquid in the cooling system is more than capable of dealing with the heat the engine produces over the temp that the engine is supposed to run at. Corrosion of parts (stability of the fluid) becomes more important unless your plan is to remove some of the radiator / cooling capacity of the system for weight/space.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:16 PM   #3
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Well I’m just gonna drain the radiator (1.5+- gallons) every six months for the next year or two to replace the coolant. It’s super easy. I can’t trust the dealers and the rotella coolant was on sale as tractor supply for $12 for 50-50 and it’s red. I have a track day at Pocono coming up so we’ll see