Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #1
SketchyTone

Drives: Waiting on 2024 A10 ZL1 CE
2019 A10 ZL1 with M6 Differential

Hey guys,

I'm fixing up a 2019 ZL1 Automatic and the suspension/differential I bought were for a Manual car so higher rear axle ratio. Uncertain how well this would play without a tune or if I should expect any power loss? I've seen a few forums and I'm kind of seeing mixed answers now. Anyone done a stock engine differential swap on a ZL1 or know of a post with that information?
SketchyTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 10:02 PM   #2
Lewisracing

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE Hyper Blue Metallic
I'd love to see some info on this also, I want to swap an A10 in place of my M6 for racing. I know it's a lot of work and such, but also curious what some could dig up
NASA ST/TT3 #927

My build thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620013
Lewisracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:26 AM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It seems to me that launching the car with a higher ratio (numerically) is going to be more difficult because of the super-short 1st gear and all that torque multiplication. Otherwise - the car will likely just seem like it shifts more just because the gearing is higher. There's a reason GM went with the ratios they did. I'm not an engineer or anything like that, but there are likely multiple reasons why they ended up with the ratios they did.

Additionally - if it's anything like 4th Gen diffs' (2.73s had one carrier and 3.23/3.42s had a 3-series carrier), carriers can be different, and a lot of the time, larger (numerically) carriers have to have meat shaved off in order to accommodate all the teeth in the ring and pinion. That can leave the diff' carrier a little weaker than the lower-ratio carrier. The 2-series carrier was a little thicker in places (if I recall) than a 3-series, so it wasn't quite as strong (not that any of those 7.5" 10-bolts were adequate for stock power...). Also - depending on orientation - the way the ring and pinion teeth can be cut, you can loose overall strength. I think the tooth count on some of the 10-bolt pinions went down as you went up in gear ratio, so you'd loose surface area to spread the torque load, and your strength went down while your effective torque multiplication went up. My point is - as you're doing - do the research. There isn't a lot of information on this diff' out there. I've been trying to search for gear size and other little details forever and always come up short. I've wondered about this swap myself. I bet the tuning for it is pretty easy. You'll "lose" power because the ratio is higher, but your gaining torque (in a way), so I don't know if I'd look at it that way. It might not be optimal at the track though... You'll just end-up shifting through more gears, which takes more time, which might mean slower laps...

JMHO. I could be completely full of crap. lol

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
A 3.73 ring gear combined with a 4.57 first gear and a 27" tire would make first gear only reach 30mph @ 6500rpm. Pretty much will be spin city with a supercharger that produces loads of torque. Even the SS guys running NA found that the 3.73 gained nothing with the A8...just made it harder to launch. Back when there were only 3 and 4 speed transmissions, it made sense to add a steeper gear. With these newer transmissions it doesn't add much benefit because the ratios are very close. The A10 already has really good shift extension keeping the engine up in the power.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:16 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Shoot. I remember my '02 Z28, with an A4, took a 4000-stall (Yank SS4000) to get shift extensions close to this A10. I think I was right around 5200-RPMs on 3.23s back then.

A converter was THE BEST mod' I made to that car.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:23 AM   #6
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Why. A10 is set up for 2.85

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote