Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 03-29-2021, 01:00 PM   #15
Fox Starwing

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Nighfall Gray M6
Welp, looks like it was the thermostat. Lingenfelter installed a 160F one when they foisted gobs of horsepower on the engine. Must have locked up while in winter storage. Dealership wanted to charge me 1100 bucks to replace, so I said screw it. I'll take my 7-level combat aircraft mechanic skills and do it myself. She runs cool as a cucumber now. My theory is that the oil kept the engine from overheating, as it was only 30 to 40 degrees out and I have the crazy SS cooling package which has at least one pure dedicated oil cooler I believe. I probably would have had a true overheat if it had been warm out. Consider this case closed.
2017 1SS M6 nightfall gray metallic, Lingenfelter 378 CID N/A package, MSD atomic airforce intake manifold, 97mm. Throttle body, 2" kooks longtubes, 3" borla S-type catback, big fat tires and everything.
Fox Starwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:29 PM   #16
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Starwing View Post
Welp, looks like it was the thermostat. Lingenfelter installed a 160F one when they foisted gobs of horsepower on the engine. Must have locked up while in winter storage. Dealership wanted to charge me 1100 bucks to replace, so I said screw it. I'll take my 7-level combat aircraft mechanic skills and do it myself. She runs cool as a cucumber now. My theory is that the oil kept the engine from overheating, as it was only 30 to 40 degrees out and I have the crazy SS cooling package which has at least one pure dedicated oil cooler I believe. I probably would have had a true overheat if it had been warm out. Consider this case closed.
The only oil cooler is the plate cooler that is coolant/oil.

$1,100 to replace a thermostat glad you replaced it on your own.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:37 PM   #17
Fox Starwing

Yeah, you know dealerships, can't replace a $20 thermostat, gotta replace the whole water pump cause the manual says so.
2017 1SS M6 nightfall gray metallic, Lingenfelter 378 CID N/A package, MSD atomic airforce intake manifold, 97mm. Throttle body, 2" kooks longtubes, 3" borla S-type catback, big fat tires and everything.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:02 PM   #18
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
$$$$ That’s crazy. What’s book time, 9 hours on that job? Glad you’re cool now. I still can’t get over that price.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:19 PM   #19
Fox Starwing

Holy cow, that old thermostat may have been bad from the factory. My normal oil temp with the 160 Tstat lingenfelter installed was 185 to 190. With the new one, I can't get it to even hit 180 with good highway driving. Normally sits about 170-175. Whole car is running 20 degrees cooler. I used LethalCamaro's youtube guide for replacing the Tstat, was a quick job. Just make sure you got a 10mm. Socket and a lot of good rags handy!
Old 03-30-2021, 05:18 PM   #20
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
That’s a good number now. On the highway my oil temps are also 170-175. Thanks for your updates.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #21
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Starwing View Post
Yeah, you know dealerships, can't replace a $20 thermostat, gotta replace the whole water pump cause the manual says so.
sheesh. i had to pull the water pump to change the oil water separator, i had no idea it was so expensive. i need to open a camaro shop haha. i was WAY more upset about taking a 16k mile car apart than i was paying $80 for a plastic box that doesn't do a damn thing.