Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

View Poll Results: Have you experienced partial or full oil pump failure in your LT4 powered vehicle?
Yes, chevrolet serviced it and warranted the work 6 14.63%
Yes, chevrolet denied warranty service 1 2.44%
Yes, I had it fixed but not by chevrolet 1 2.44%
No 33 80.49%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2024, 07:59 AM   #29
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelor View Post
OP lick your wounds and fix the car. GM is not steeping up for a 6 year old used car.
I guess you didn’t read my sob story about how it lost 50% of its oil pressure in 1 day while under warranty and the stealership and chevy field tech said all is good 4k miles ago, which was clearly a f$%king lie.

Clearly they have no culpability in this predicament.

I guess my mistake was selling my other 2 Camaros to buy this one, and not driving it until it grenaded immediately after I took it in under warranty.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:37 AM   #30
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
Totally disingenuous on the part of GM and Legacy Chevrolet. There was plenty of evidence, not only in enthusiast websites, but also internally that these pumps were failing with warranty claims and it started with oil pressure dropping into the 20's. Just looking at this website from the 2017 oil pump failures (53 ZL1's failed pumps) thread, a failure rate based on total vehicles produced (2999) is over 17.7%. That's ridiculous and who knows how many weren't reported in that survey (I'm fairly certain GM knows). For 2018, there were 67 failures. @nighttowl, I'm totally with you on this. I think you should talk to a lawyer and provide these statistics. Many here will support a class action suit. Based on the fact that the pumps were revised multiple times and that Katech testing indicated that they were strengthened, shows internally, they were aware of an issue. Rather than stepping up and standing by their product, they were not forthright with their customers.

Last edited by george; 03-13-2024 at 09:03 AM.
george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:45 AM   #31
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
I guess you didn’t read my sob story about how it lost 50% of its oil pressure in 1 day while under warranty and the stealership and chevy field tech said all is good 4k miles ago, which was clearly a f$%king lie.

Clearly they have no culpability in this predicament.

I guess my mistake was selling my other 2 Camaros to buy this one, and not driving it until it grenaded immediately after I took it in under warranty.
That really though is the sad truth and most likely outcome.

I can't see GM coming around on a 6 year old car now. I like the argument to do so but that really isn't how any of this works.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:08 PM   #32
Fenmore

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
That really though is the sad truth and most likely outcome.

I can't see GM coming around on a 6 year old car now. I like the argument to do so but that really isn't how any of this works.
Its not as simple as that.
Beyond the failure of GM to replace the pump while under warranty (which btw should be the main issue here). This guy doesn't drive the car much so 4,000 miles later the pump fails on a KNOWN issue with GM that he was in for while it was under warranty. Shouldn't matter how many years based on his mileage, but ok for sakes of argument we will move onto problem #2.
Current dealer thought it was a sending unit and ran the motor who knows how many times which caused the OP to now need a new motor (at least according to the dealer without really much diagnosis as far as I can tell)
Anyone that thinks he should fork out the total amount is on cloud 9.
I would find a lawyer that is familiar with warranty claims and cars and at the very least write up demand letters to the dealer and to GM. This is the most cost effective route to get their attention and hopefully find a mutual agreement with all parties.
Fenmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 01:34 PM   #33
18.2SS.1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
If the repair order documented the vehicle coming in for service with oil pressure concerns while it was under warranty, the OP should be able to get GM to Goodwill the job. If they continue to refuse, hire a lawyer and they can also cover your lawyer fees as well.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:28 PM   #34
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18.2SS.1LE View Post
If the repair order documented the vehicle coming in for service with oil pressure concerns while it was under warranty, the OP should be able to get GM to Goodwill the job. If they continue to refuse, hire a lawyer and they can also cover your lawyer fees as well.
This is exactly how I see it.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
Old 03-13-2024, 02:31 PM   #35
split_bumper

Drives: 24 ZL1, 6.2L Denali, 73 SplitBumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18.2SS.1LE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
This is exactly how I see it.

I also agree with this. If you have documentation from the first go around citing the problem while under warranty. You should be able to get it all covered

https://cws.gm.com/vs-cws/vehshop/v2...FJ1R60R0111531
split_bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 02:57 PM   #36
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
@op. I followed your other thread where I believe you said they tested your oil pressure and if I recall correctly it was 1psi low and they sent you off. If you have that paper work, while I’m not a legal expert I’d say you have a slam dunk case that the dealer was negligent because it was out of spec and they didn’t change your pump. I would also sue for your legal fee’s because that can’t be cheap.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:39 PM   #37
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Yes, documentation under warranty and the dealership neglecting is a good case. I’m also confused why the dealership wouldn’t jump on that warranty work when they get paid to do it?
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:11 PM   #38
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Yes, documentation under warranty and the dealership neglecting is a good case. I’m also confused why the dealership wouldn’t jump on that warranty work when they get paid to do it?
They get paid for less hours then they charge customers out of warranty and also don't get to make money off of parts.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:59 PM   #39
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Great, make less money or make one angry customer who will shit on your reputation every chance they get.

Doesn't seems like wise choice to me.

The places that wronged me in life never saw an additional ounce of business from me or anyone who asked my opinion ever again. If no relief, F' it.. sh!t on their google reviews.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 10:41 AM   #40
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

I called my case rep and there was no answer and I never received a response. I just left a 2nd message.
I just called Chevrolet to see if I could take the car to an independant dealer and they said that my case was marked to legal and no one is allowed to talk to me. I asked to speak to a manager or anyone who would talk with me and she said that her supervisor said no one can talk with me about it.

I asked generally about having it repaired at an independant shop and she said normally the answer is no. I talked with the dealer service advisor the other day and he said that the engine is not locked up, and that they did nothing to the car, but still told GM that the engine needed replaced? This makes me not trust these people with my car.
I emailed back in forth with him and sent the TSB that I told him on the phone about prior to the car even arriving. TSB says check the bearings and replace the oil pump and another part. I told him to pull the pan and if the bearings are good to fix the car.

I never got a response after that, I suspect nothing was done. The guy isnt a pleasant guy, but in his defense i once it was apparent I was getting screwed over I was not pleasant either.

According to mychevrolet app the car has an assload of electronics errors on it, like engine system, anti-lock, stabilitrack, airbag and emissions. I'm not sure if that means its being worked on, the battery is dead or they broke it.

This is my third consecutive camaro. When the ZLE came out I needed it. I sold my R1 and my old ZL1 which I really liked. It was supposed to be the ultimate camaro.
At this point, I really regret buying it.

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
Old 03-17-2024, 12:06 AM   #41
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Dude don't feel bad, I hope you get it taken care of, for future events like this, Ethier take it to another dealer or fix the problem your self after the warranty. Mine has 33K 2018 no problems. But after I finish modding my older car, I'm putting a katech pump on and a cam, it's better to learn yourself and know for certain it's fixed.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 07:14 AM   #42
george
ZL1 Driver

Drives: Camaro ZL1 & BMW M3/E92
@OP, is there a way you can check to see if another dealer in your area has done this kind of work? If GM approves, which I'm confident they will, they may insist this dealer do the repairs at their cost if they ran the engine with a failed pump.

I've had problems with dealers in my area as well. I caught them putting 0w/40 European oil that was not DEXOS in the ZL1. They acted oblivious but charged me the expensive price of the 0w/40 DEXOS2. When insisting that the correct oil be used, it became a huge issue. Long story short, I don't go there with the ZL1. They wouldn't let me in the shop with the usual safety excuse. So I stayed outside and peaked through a garage window to verify the correct oil was used. It's difficult to find a reputable dealer
george is offline   Reply With Quote