#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 11-20-2023, 08:26 AM   #15
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
@ Arpad, yeh the limits of the 1LE are way above what you can safely do on the street.

On the track, it can pull 1.3G around many corners, even higher under trail braking. But there are too many uncontrolled variables on public roads (surface traction availability, obstacles immediately beyond the road surface, etc) to make it worth driving the car near it's limit. Thus why the track is so appealing to the type of person who finds reward in pushing a machine (car, go-kart, whatever) to it's limit of control.

If you are that kind of person (I fully understand many are not), then I can offer you a slightly different way to view HPDE that might be more appealing to your "introverted tendancy:"

HPDE is all about you as an individual learning how drive a car on the track and to slowly work up towards it's limit (or however close you are ultimately comfortable going). It's not about racing other drivers at all (though some find it fun to catch and pass others). But because there are others out there on the track at the same time, trying to do the same as you, there is an added element of learning safe track etiquette and developing a comfort level with having other cars near you out on the track. And because all cars are lapping at different speeds, there is a need to learn how to safely pass (or be passed). All of these skills (driver skill development and safety around others) are core to the (instructor led) teachings of any good HPDE organization.

There can be a social aspect to HPDE events while drivers are not actually driving around the track, but there is no mandate for it, and everybody is different. Some guys keep totally to themselves and everything still works out just fine.
Hmm, thank you very much, this is a different perspective indeed, if you don't consider it a race, it's much more appealing to me. I wasn't really aware of the social aspect either, that's a great point, too.

Truth to be told after some honest reflection, I'm not really the type of guy who would enjoy experiencing and passing the limits of the car that much, I'm more comfortable knowing that they are well beyond my personal limits, so I can do whatever I think is the maximum and the car will still just say, "okay, give me more" All that said, I'd still like to try it out, the best plan is maybe to go and take lessons with a BMW at their performance driver facility in South Carolina, then return to AMP and run my Camaro with the beginners once or twice.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 09:26 AM   #16
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Hmm, thank you very much, this is a different perspective indeed, if you don't consider it a race, it's much more appealing to me. I wasn't really aware of the social aspect either, that's a great point, too.

Truth to be told after some honest reflection, I'm not really the type of guy who would enjoy experiencing and passing the limits of the car that much, I'm more comfortable knowing that they are well beyond my personal limits, so I can do whatever I think is the maximum and the car will still just say, "okay, give me more" All that said, I'd still like to try it out, the best plan is maybe to go and take lessons with a BMW at their performance driver facility in South Carolina, then return to AMP and run my Camaro with the beginners once or twice.
Sounds like a reasonable plan. I've not been, but have heard the BMW facility in SC is fantastic. You'll have a lot of fun there. And if you decide to take your Camaro on a track, you'll have a couple of choices within "not ridiculous" driving distance including AMP, Road Atlanta, Carolina Motorsport Park, and VIR.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 09:52 AM   #17
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post

BMW performance center is pretty good, I did a 2 day event there with them before I ever got my Camaro and it was a blast. Lots of track time.

If you ever decide to take your car to the track, CMP is the best beginner track to go to.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 10:12 AM   #18
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
This is why I don't high speed track: We only have 2 events per year, it's a screwed up "track" that WILL break your car, above the normal wear and tear, the safety is lousy and it's in a remote location where you need to trailer a car. AutoX has all the fun and none of the risk/downsides IME. It's different, yes, but a whole lot more things have to go "right" IMO to do the high speed track stuff reliably and safely. Even at AutoX, it becomes apparent very fast which cars are "show" and which cars are "go", as far as the cars intended purpose and suitability at being driven at max performance even in an autoX setting.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 10:48 AM   #19
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Great video it really hit most of the pros and cons on tracking your car. I would add there are groups who stress point to pass and run in separate classes so you don't feel the pressure of people passing you unless you point to pass. People should not be offended but there are instructors for novice drivers and they decide on who should not be on the track and that maybe tracking is not for them. On keeping the car cleaner add PPF, ceramic coating, and track armour make the car easier to clean after an event. You meet some great people and most are willing to help in any way they can. So if you are unsure find a group and try it once but do your research there is plenty of info. Happy tracking can't wait till spring.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 10:56 AM   #20
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
BMW performance center is pretty good, I did a 2 day event there with them before I ever got my Camaro and it was a blast. Lots of track time.

If you ever decide to take your car to the track, CMP is the best beginner track to go to.
I've done the M School at the BMW Performance Center as well. It is a blast. And the best part is that you get to drive BMW's cars, not your own as you learn how to drive in that environment.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 05:31 PM   #21
N Camarolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post

@Arpad I agree with Christian that CMP is a great track to start with. It's totally flat which means there are really no blind corners and you don't have to deal with the impact of abrupt vertical changes on traction. It's also easy to learn the track quickly. And it also happens to still be a lot of fun.
Old 11-20-2023, 06:00 PM   #22
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
You guys are tempting me for sure... Atlanta Motorsports Park felt challenging in terms of elevation changes around the track (apart from blind corners I don't want any of the extra vertical stomach jumping, it's bad enough as it is horizontally; after all this isn't an offroad excursion, right? guess I've already said something about being a chicken )...

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 08:33 PM   #23
SSm1LEn

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Great video, I really enjoyed and appreciated your perspective. Not only was it informative, but your humble and very honest.

I wish I lived in an area (with nice weather all year long) near a nice track or two. Maybe in the coming year or two. I’d definitely like to meet people that are more knowledgeable / race competent then myself (wouldn’t take much) Your video reinvigorated that long held thought process. Thanks for posting this…
You are welcome. I didn't mention this in the video but I spectated a couple hours of an event months before I participated in one. If you are ever visiting an area of the county that does have a road course I encourage you to find an event and go watch for a bit.
SSm1LEn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 09:19 PM   #24
N Camarolina

@SSm1LEn, you started quite the thread here with your video. I can't recall as useful a discussion about HPDE in quite a long time. At least not as comprehensive and balanced to provide useful info to someone who's thinking about dipping their toe in the water.
Old 11-21-2023, 04:41 PM   #25
SSm1LEn

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
@SSm1LEn, you started quite the thread here with your video. I can't recall as useful a discussion about HPDE in quite a long time. At least not as comprehensive and balanced to provide useful info to someone who's thinking about dipping their toe in the water.
I'm glad! I have learned a ton using the search function on this forum. Hopefully there are still some folks that make use of that feature and it will turn up in future searches occasionally.
SSm1LEn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, hpde, tracking, worth it