Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 05-05-2023, 12:24 PM   #1
xdamxincx
Banned

Drives: zl1 blk
OIL COOLER OPTIONS ? ?

So ive got the trans out of the car and noticed a new oil leak .. looks like its coming out of the oil cooler.. im not really digging the design as it sits right next to my header... so i was wondering if any of yall had experience/recommendations with aftermarket oil cooler set ups..
Attached Images

xdamxincx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 02:28 PM   #2
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual

Don't have a recommendation but I am familiar with the leak as that is very common on this car. The bolts get loose quite easily and its a tight fit even on my lift to retighten. They are only around 20 lbs so DONOT over tighten as its aluminum as you know and if you strip the bolts in the block you are screwed. I checked mine every year when I change the oil and it has never leaked after retightening.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 09:41 PM   #3
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
Oil Cooler Options for the 5th Gen

It might be a long read but this is about as comprehensive for the 5 Gen as I could put together. Mine has been in service 2020. Hope this helps.

I need to mention that the lower grill itself will need clearance modifications if the cooler is mounted where mine is. This is done with removal of the front fascia, safety glasses and gloves and with the use of a hot knife and a small carbon fiber wheel in a small grinder or Dremel. It will require a lot of trial fitting. Take time, be patient, don't go savage and it can be done for a clean factory install look.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 5th Gen Camaro Oil Cooler Options 05162023c.pdf (1,012.2 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by PoleCat2SSRS2010; 05-16-2023 at 10:11 PM.
PoleCat2SSRS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 10:15 PM   #4
xdamxincx
Banned

Drives: zl1 blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 View Post
It might be a long read but this is about as comprehensive for the 5 Gen as I could put together. Mine has been in service 2020. Hope this helps.

I need to mention that the lower grill itself will need clearance modifications if the cooler is mounted where mine is. This is done with removal of the front fascia, safety glasses and gloves and with the use of a hot knife and a small carbon fiber wheel in a small grinder or Dremel. It will require a lot of trial fitting. Take time, be patient, don't go savage and it can be done for a clean factory install look.
Nice write up .. thanks for the info.
xdamxincx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 12:49 AM   #5
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I know your super charged but I think our cars run at the same temps since you have the same stock cooler as a SS. So I currently use this one
https://www.mishimoto.com/chevrolet-...2010-2015.html
No it's not the best but it gets the job done. It stays in between 210-220 on a hot day (100*) in traffic and at high mph cruising. But if you start doing wot stuff it goes up and needs a few minutes to cool down. Other than that it's easy to install and you can reuse the lines if you ever need to go bigger like this one
https://www.improvedracing.com/mhx-2...il-cooler.html
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is online now   Reply With Quote