Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
JRS

Drives: 16 camaro M6/ 18 ZL1 camaro A10
Easy install of new supercharger pulley

I received my 2.30'' grip tech pulley today and wanted to install it without having to do a lot of work like pulling the supercharger off.

Getting the old pulley off was the hard part. I tried pulling it with a three jaw puller and that wasn't happening so I cut the pulley on both sides with a die grinder then used a puller which it still was tight but it moved. I could have bought the right puller but I wasn't spending $$$. After getting it off I found the pulley was galled to the shaft which is why it was so tight.

I put the new pulley adapter in a regular oven and heated to 550 degrees. I pulled it out and put it right on the supercharger crank. It went right on like butter but don't wait too long because it was tight in about 10 seconds.

On another note I took it afterward without doing any tuning and it was very noticeable. I used to have clouds of black smoke when I got on it but now it is a lot less.

I will check it out with the hp tuner later to see if it is going lean but it doesn't seem to be. I'm sure I will get some flack for this.

Can anyone constructively tell me if they had to make any major changes in the fuel enrichment because I know this is a hot topic with some people.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS View Post
I received my 2.30'' grip tech pulley today and wanted to install it without having to do a lot of work like pulling the supercharger off.

Getting the old pulley off was the hard part. I tried pulling it with a three jaw puller and that wasn't happening so I cut the pulley on both sides with a die grinder then used a puller which it still was tight but it moved. I could have bought the right puller but I wasn't spending $$$. After getting it off I found the pulley was galled to the shaft which is why it was so tight.

I put the new pulley adapter in a regular oven and heated to 550 degrees. I pulled it out and put it right on the supercharger crank. It went right on like butter but don't wait too long because it was tight in about 10 seconds.

On another note I took it afterward without doing any tuning and it was very noticeable. I used to have clouds of black smoke when I got on it but now it is a lot less.

I will check it out with the hp tuner later to see if it is going lean but it doesn't seem to be. I'm sure I will get some flack for this.

Can anyone constructively tell me if they had to make any major changes in the fuel enrichment because I know this is a hot topic with some people.

Get it tuned. ASAP. Any reputable tuner will tell you it's BARELY safe enough to BABY a car with a pulley on stock tune to the shop staying OUT OF BOOST and if the shop is less than an hour away. Anything more than that and it's not worth it. High RPM usage or extended driving amounts = big no no.

Don't ask me why. Just listen to the people that have gone before you. Call up a local tuner and ask him how safe it is to get after a pulleyed + stock tune car. If he doesn't hang up immediately, he'll tell you to baby it to the nearest tuner.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #3
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
It all changes for each car. There is a gentleman in my neck of the woods that has been running and logging a 9% lower on his C7Z wth the stock tune and no issues. Our DA is 5000+ out here.
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
JRS

I mostly wanted to comment on an easy way to install a supercharger pulley without many tools.

In my area there aren't many tuners and especially ones that know anything about lt1 / lt4 engines specifically plus it is something I'm capable to do myself.

I just wanted to know from anyone that does any of their own tuning did they have to make radical changes because I can't see it. I didn't really get a good chance to run the car today as it was rainy wet all day but when it is dry I will definitely check it over.

I figured I gained about 2 psi of boost total because it was pushing 11 psi at wot.

I appreciate the comment so far.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:19 PM   #5
1LE Red Dragon
Train Driver

Drives: 2018 Summit White ZL1 1LE
If this is your only power mod then you should be okay.

You've not changed the VE (Volumetric Efficiency) on the car. So the MAF will see the additional air mass, and adjust fueling accordingly. The MAF transfer is still proper unless you've changed the intake. If you've added headers, or removed cats, then you might have a problem since these change the VE. I hope you are on 93 octane.

My $.02

/ / Katech TB // RotoFab Dry // Borla 60606 // ATI Super Damper / /
1LE Red Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:45 AM   #6
JRS

This is the only real mod I have made other than a ported throttle body and green air filter for what that's worth. I always use 93 octane.

This car seems to be pretty rich as it was because I could wash it and within 15 mins my tailpipes are coal black.

I will check my afr later when the weather is nice to make sure it is in the safe zone.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #7
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Good write up, I did the lower just so I wouldn't have to mess with removing the blower not that I couldn't.

Question why does the snout have to come off to remove the pulley again?

After reading this, I may do the upper now with a DSX AUX pump and call it done until my 2650 is ready.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:58 AM   #8
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
I would not recommend to anyone to put a pulley on without tuning and then get into boost.

Last edited by Badmojo; 06-24-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Badmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #9
djfury05

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
I would recommend to anyone to put a pulley on without tuning and then get into boost.
100% agree with this.. OP take a video for us going WOT multiple times to show these guys its safe!
djfury05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #10
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Quote:
I would not recommend to anyone to put a pulley on without tuning and then get into boost.
Missed putting the word "NOT" in the sentence.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:50 PM   #11
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfury05 View Post
100% agree with this.. OP take a video for us going WOT multiple times to show these guys its safe!
Maybe throw in some 87 octane for good measure. The rattling sound is all the bald eagles trying to escape from your combustion chambers.

How many "natty lights" is a cut off the stock supercharger pulley job?
Old 06-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #12
djfury05

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Missed putting the word "NOT" in the sentence.
Awww c'mon I was hoping for a big fail video coming lol.
djfury05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:25 PM   #13
JRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
Good write up, I did the lower just so I wouldn't have to mess with removing the blower not that I couldn't.

Question why does the snout have to come off to remove the pulley again?

After reading this, I may do the upper now with a DSX AUX pump and call it done until my 2650 is ready.
The reason for removing the snout is so you can press the new pulley on without damaging the supercharger but I wanted to see if I just heated the pulley if it would slide on and it did very easy. I read somewhere that most steels grow .0005 for every 100 degrees so I heated it as high as the oven would go which is 550 and it must have been just enough because like I said it was tight tight in 10 seconds.

The biggest hurtle was just getting the old pulley off.

I hope this helps if you decide to do a pulley swap.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:35 PM   #14
JRS

I only asked for constructive comments. Just saying

I did take it out today and did several wot pulls without so much as a ping, rattle, lights or reduced engine power.

I will continue to check it out to see if it needs more fuel but in 80 degree temps it seems fine, I'm not saying on a 100 degree day with no humidity it will still be fine only time will tell.