Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-05-2018, 04:48 PM   #1
JefemanG

Drives: 40th Anniversary
Question Those of you who run Prochargers or other high-RPM SCs, quick question for you...

Looking to hop into a 2SS in about 6 months. I want it to be my DD, but also have some extra oomph when I really want to romp on it. I'm not trying to build a track star or anything since I only go out to the track or do circuits maybe 4 times a year, max. Just want something I can drive to and from work on the weekdays and scare my friends a little while putting a smile on my face on the weekends

Those of you who run SCs that don't lay down power until the upper RPMs, how has your experience been with the car? Good reliability? Is it easy to drive in regular traffic? Any issues with internals? Gas mileage still similar?

I'm thinking of just doing a Procharger + tune or buying one with it already installed if I can find the proper seller. Maybe CAI and exhaust later. From what I've read, drive-train is good for up to 600 to the wheels. I'm looking for a cool 550ish to the wheels, maybe 600 at the top end.

Is a Procharger good for what I'm looking for? Not trying to break the car or anything and need something that can hold itself properly in traffic.

JefemanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefemanG View Post
Looking to hop into a 2SS in about 6 months. I want it to be my DD, but also have some extra oomph when I really want to romp on it. I'm not trying to build a track star or anything since I only go out to the track or do circuits maybe 4 times a year, max. Just want something I can drive to and from work on the weekdays and scare my friends a little while putting a smile on my face on the weekends

Those of you who run SCs that don't lay down power until the upper RPMs, how has your experience been with the car? Good reliability? Is it easy to drive in regular traffic? Any issues with internals? Gas mileage still similar?

I'm thinking of just doing a Procharger + tune or buying one with it already installed if I can find the proper seller. Maybe CAI and exhaust later. From what I've read, drive-train is good for up to 600 to the wheels. I'm looking for a cool 550ish to the wheels, maybe 600 at the top end.

Is a Procharger good for what I'm looking for? Not trying to break the car or anything and need something that can hold itself properly in traffic.

For what you want, I would highly recommend what I have, which you can see in my sig. I absolutely love my setup for a daily driver. Under 3k rpm it is exactly as stock, except maybe a little better throttle response because of the tune. When you lay into it, it rips. Gas mileage remained the same as factory, assuming you’re driving it easily. I’ve had zero problems with my car and I too wanted the power to come on a little later. These cars don’t get traction on street tires anyways. Have not had the car dynoed yet but it should be around 575whp. Ted, from Jannetty Racing did my remote tune for me and it came out excellent. Highly recommend him for your tuning if you do this. The car drives and sounds amazing.

As for a CAI, you won’t have one with a centrifugal supercharger because the whole intake is replaced and the air filter is attached directly to the back of the head unit. The exhaust you could upgrade but quite frankly the stock system if you get the dual mode (NPP) option is great. It’s loud and can be quiet if you want it to. But I love the sound the car has just with the stock exhaust.

Hope that helps. One other thing, I have the base P1SC-1 unit and personally it is perfectly fine for your power goals and then some. If you DO have higher power goals later on, then you’ll probably want a bigger unit at the time of purchase because it’s way more expensive to upgrade later on. But if you want 600+ you’ll need fuel upgrades and all that anyways. There is a lot of information on this forum so you can find whatever you need.

-Phil
Old 03-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #3
JefemanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyefixstuff View Post
For what you want, I would highly recommend what I have, which you can see in my sig. I absolutely love my setup for a daily driver. Under 3k rpm it is exactly as stock, except maybe a little better throttle response because of the tune. When you lay into it, it rips. Gas mileage remained the same as factory, assuming you’re driving it easily. I’ve had zero problems with my car and I too wanted the power to come on a little later. These cars don’t get traction on street tires anyways. Have not had the car dynoed yet but it should be around 575whp. Ted, from Jannetty Racing did my remote tune for me and it came out excellent. Highly recommend him for your tuning if you do this. The car drives and sounds amazing.

As for a CAI, you won’t have one with a centrifugal supercharger because the whole intake is replaced and the air filter is attached directly to the back of the head unit. The exhaust you could upgrade but quite frankly the stock system if you get the dual mode (NPP) option is great. It’s loud and can be quiet if you want it to. But I love the sound the car has just with the stock exhaust.

Hope that helps. One other thing, I have the base P1SC-1 unit and personally it is perfectly fine for your power goals and then some. If you DO have higher power goals later on, then you’ll probably want a bigger unit at the time of purchase because it’s way more expensive to upgrade later on. But if you want 600+ you’ll need fuel upgrades and all that anyways. There is a lot of information on this forum so you can find whatever you need.

-Phil
I actually wasn't aware you remove the entire intake. I've never wrenched on anything with a centri, but logically speaking, it makes sense so you can actually house the unit and how it is a direct air-intake vs a roots system.

I'll keep your build in mind. Seems like it's exactly what I'm going for. I'm trying to keep it under 600 for, like you said, the fuel system and since I've read a lot of people snapping their drive-trains at 625+. Even saw some dude on Youtube blow his on a track launch under 2k RPM. His SS was putting down 675 iirc.

How long have you had the build for? Also, does the P1SC-1 kit include the IC and bypass?
Old 03-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
Eyefixstuff

Quote:
I actually wasn't aware you remove the entire intake. I've never wrenched on anything with a centri, but logically speaking, it makes sense so you can actually house the unit and how it is a direct air-intake vs a roots system.

I'll keep your build in mind. Seems like it's exactly what I'm going for. I'm trying to keep it under 600 for, like you said, the fuel system and since I've read a lot of people snapping their drive-trains at 625+. Even saw some dude on Youtube blow his on a track launch under 2k RPM. His SS was putting down 675 iirc.

How long have you had the build for? Also, does the P1SC-1 kit include the IC and bypass?
It does include the ic and bypass. As well as everything else needed for install. It’s a complete kit. The rear shafts and driveshaft can break, but the only ones I’ve seen doing this is the M6 cars like mine. But I haven’t had any problems yet. The A8 cars probably need upgrades drive components at some point, but the auto is way less harsh on the drivetrain. I’ve had my setup done since last August I think. Put a couple thousand miles on the car since. I really only drive it on nice days to and from work but that’s only 15 minutes each way, and weekend driving. Only been to the strip once since it was done.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Feels fine to me for a daily driver...I have the next step up P-1X.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #6
JefemanG

Quote:
It does include the ic and bypass. As well as everything else needed for install. It’s a complete kit. The rear shafts and driveshaft can break, but the only ones I’ve seen doing this is the M6 cars like mine. But I haven’t had any problems yet. The A8 cars probably need upgrades drive components at some point, but the auto is way less harsh on the drivetrain. I’ve had my setup done since last August I think. Put a couple thousand miles on the car since. I really only drive it on nice days to and from work but that’s only 15 minutes each way, and weekend driving. Only been to the strip once since it was done.
True. Any problems with breaking traction? I'd imagine keeping under 3k and change is fine, but how about if you go over? Not trying to DD with drag slicks haha.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #7
JefemanG

I'm also open to SCs that give pretty even power throughout the entire powerband, so long as it won't cause the car to break free easily. Bonus points if the company offers a warranty to replace GM's powertrain.

So far, the only one I've read about offering that is Magnuson, but I am not familiar with them. I'm coming from Mustang platform, so I'm used to KB, Whipple, Eaton, and Edlebrock. Open to any discussion. Only requirements is I can keep DD driveability and have the car remain reliable.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #8
Eyefixstuff

Quote:
True. Any problems with breaking traction? I'd imagine keeping under 3k and change is fine, but how about if you go over? Not trying to DD with drag slicks haha.
I have the ZL1 size wheels and tires with Michelin pilot sport 4s and if you are actually laying into it hard then first gear is useless, second gear will break lose at the higher RPM, and that’ll even happen in 3rd sometimes. But any supercharged one of these cars will likely do that without at least drag radials.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #9
JefemanG

Quote:
I have the ZL1 size wheels and tires with Michelin pilot sport 4s and if you are actually laying into it hard then first gear is useless, second gear will break lose at the higher RPM, and that’ll even happen in 3rd sometimes. But any supercharged one of these cars will likely do that without at least drag radials.
Breaking free is fine, I'm just not looking for something that will spin tires endlessly, harshly break free, or break free if I only put down 2-3k RPMs. I know anything over 400HP is prone to breaking free on street tires, that just comes with the nature of the car.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:18 PM   #10
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
Quote:
Breaking free is fine, I'm just not looking for something that will spin tires endlessly, harshly break free, or break free if I only put down 2-3k RPMs. I know anything over 400HP is prone to breaking free on street tires, that just comes with the nature of the car.
It'll do all of that on street tires.

I'm pushing 630 on a dynojet with meth. on 20's (i bought 17s for spirited weekend driving) you're not going to hook on any regular "performance" tire that previously hooked at stock HP. If you're not going to dig race, you also don't need slicks.

You definitely CAN daily drive a supercharged car, just have a set of rear wheels for when you want to play stupid games.

The comment above about the gears is correct. I'm manual. 1st gear is useless, 2nd gear is useless because it breaks loose up top (not fun, makes slow pokes think they can take you when you do short distance sprints but can reel them in easy if u have enough room to catch 3rd and stay in it) and sometimes shifting hard into 3rd will do it too.

I hear the auto guys get away with a bit more.

Long story short, have 2 sets of rear tires. 550whp is serious power for a daily, so if frugality is a point you care about, you're looking for the wrong car. This is probably THE most expensive pony car to mod in my experience as far as $ to hp capability goes (in comparison to the LS, coyote, or 4.6 pony car motors) Mine is for sale for this very reason unless I somehow come up on a bunch of cash I don't give a shit about so I can move forward with hardly another 50-100 hp per 5-6k spent lol it isn't the motor as much as it is all the supporting mods.

If i did it again I'd go with an Auto and build on of these NA 10 second setups the guys have pretty much got down to a science on the forums. Less headache, more fun. Actually if you're going to drag this car at all, forget about the M6.

All just my opinion based on my experience. Yours may vary.
// 3M/Gotch Design Sponsored Gloss Deep Space Colorshift Wrap //
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #11
JefemanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxit View Post
It'll do all of that on street tires.

I'm pushing 630 on a dynojet with meth. on 20's (i bought 17s for spirited weekend driving) you're not going to hook on any regular "performance" tire that previously hooked at stock HP. If you're not going to dig race, you also don't need slicks.

You definitely CAN daily drive a supercharged car, just have a set of rear wheels for when you want to play stupid games.

The comment above about the gears is correct. I'm manual. 1st gear is useless, 2nd gear is useless because it breaks loose up top (not fun, makes slow pokes think they can take you when you do short distance sprints but can reel them in easy if u have enough room to catch 3rd and stay in it) and sometimes shifting hard into 3rd will do it too.

I hear the auto guys get away with a bit more.

Long story short, have 2 sets of rear tires. 550whp is serious power for a daily, so if frugality is a point you care about, you're looking for the wrong car. This is probably THE most expensive pony car to mod in my experience as far as $ to hp capability goes (in comparison to the LS, coyote, or 4.6 pony car motors) Mine is for sale for this very reason unless I somehow come up on a bunch of cash I don't give a shit about so I can move forward with hardly another 50-100 hp per 5-6k spent lol it isn't the motor as much as it is all the supporting mods.

If i did it again I'd go with an Auto and build on of these NA 10 second setups the guys have pretty much got down to a science on the forums. Less headache, more fun. Actually if you're going to drag this car at all, forget about the M6.

All just my opinion based on my experience. Yours may vary.
I 100% plan on having a different set of wheels for the track or road courses. What I'm trying to get at is, if I'm giving it gas, but not HAMMERING the pedal, I want to know it'll hook enough that I won't worry about wrecking the car. I'm not looking to build a street warrior here. Just something I can kind of scare/entertain my friends with and enjoy myself now and again. I'll save the hard pulls and hammered throttle for the track.

I feel you on the A8. I love manual trans, but after all the research I've done on the car, it just makes sense to snag the auto, which really sucks. I'm going to have to think hard on it. I'm not a dude to blow huge stacks just to get better times, I just drive the car to enjoy it for what it is, so I feel like I'll be missing out on that experience if I take auto over manual. Still, especially with a SC, it seems like the auto makes a lot more sense.

I'm not looking to be a track star or anything. If I was, I'd just build tf out of my current Mustang. Like you said, it's much cheaper to make big numbers on these engines, especially the 4.6 I have now. I'm hopping over to the Camaro because it's what I want as a DD. I just want a little more power to use when I want is all, but I don't want HUGE power.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:42 PM   #12
exxit

Quote:
I 100% plan on having a different set of wheels for the track or road courses. What I'm trying to get at is, if I'm giving it gas, but not HAMMERING the pedal, I want to know it'll hook enough that I won't worry about wrecking the car. I'm not looking to build a street warrior here. Just something I can kind of scare/entertain my friends with and enjoy myself now and again. I'll save the hard pulls and hammered throttle for the track.

I feel you on the A8. I love manual trans, but after all the research I've done on the car, it just makes sense to snag the auto, which really sucks. I'm going to have to think hard on it. I'm not a dude to blow huge stacks just to get better times, I just drive the car to enjoy it for what it is, so I feel like I'll be missing out on that experience if I take auto over manual. Still, especially with a SC, it seems like the auto makes a lot more sense.

I'm not looking to be a track star or anything. If I was, I'd just build tf out of my current Mustang. Like you said, it's much cheaper to make big numbers on these engines, especially the 4.6 I have now. I'm hopping over to the Camaro because it's what I want as a DD. I just want a little more power to use when I want is all, but I don't want HUGE power.
I wish someone told me to go auto when I was doing my reading on the maro, but didn't plan on going FI back then just intake exhaust tune lol.

Get the auto, especially if you plan on using the car the way you described up top. The manual is all fun and games until you get stomped off the line because your car refuses to behave for factors out of your and your tuners control lol. Granted its only really bad once the torque numbers get up there and you launch hard.

I know your ego (like mine) is saying get manual. And some ignorant friends may talk shit... but the A8 is an AMAZING trans for straight line performance. Bone stock m6 vs bone stock a8 with an inexperienced driver at the wheel and the a8 put a whole fender one me off a roll. From a dig? i would have gotten embarrased completely unless he ****ed up pressing the gas off idle (which is hard to do lol)

I'll say it a 3rd time, just to be clear, if you're getting a 6gen camaro, and don't plan on road racing or autocross, get automatic.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #13
JefemanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxit View Post
I wish someone told me to go auto when I was doing my reading on the maro, but didn't plan on going FI back then just intake exhaust tune lol.

Get the auto, especially if you plan on using the car the way you described up top. The manual is all fun and games until you get stomped off the line because your car refuses to behave for factors out of your and your tuners control lol. Granted its only really bad once the torque numbers get up there and you launch hard.

I know your ego (like mine) is saying get manual. And some ignorant friends may talk shit... but the A8 is an AMAZING trans for straight line performance. Bone stock m6 vs bone stock a8 with an inexperienced driver at the wheel and the a8 put a whole fender one me off a roll. From a dig? i would have gotten embarrased completely unless he ****ed up pressing the gas off idle (which is hard to do lol)

I'll say it a 3rd time, just to be clear, if you're getting a 6gen camaro, and don't plan on road racing or autocross, get automatic.
It's not an ego thing, it's just I love how much more fun and engaging a manual is than an auto. Plus the auto just looks ugly sitting there vs a proper manual shifter. The thing is, autos are so ****ing nuts now that a human cannot compete. I was watching a video of a professional racer in an M6 racing one of the camera girls in an A8 and after 60 runs, she won 58, tied 1, and lost 1 where she accidentally hit the parking brake... The dude was a professional and couldn't pull better times than some random girl whose job it is to read a script while all she was doing was mashing the throttle. That mixed with how much easier it is to tune a SC to auto vs manual... It just makes more sense, but I hate it.

To be honest, I'll be just street driving (read DD with occasional pulls on wide open roads, but never full-throttle), occasional track days, and occasional circuits. Don't believe I'll ever do auto-x. Where I live isn't too big on anything but drag racing, sadly, so trips out to places like Leguna Seca would be pretty ****ing rare.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #14
exxit

Quote:
It's not an ego thing, it's just I love how much more fun and engaging a manual is than an auto. Plus the auto just looks ugly sitting there vs a proper manual shifter. The thing is, autos are so ****ing nuts now that a human cannot compete. I was watching a video of a professional racer in an M6 racing one of the camera girls in an A8 and after 60 runs, she won 58, tied 1, and lost 1 where she accidentally hit the parking brake... The dude was a professional and couldn't pull better times than some random girl whose job it is to read a script while all she was doing was mashing the throttle. That mixed with how much easier it is to tune a SC to auto vs manual... It just makes more sense, but I hate it.

To be honest, I'll be just street driving (read DD with occasional pulls on wide open roads, but never full-throttle), occasional track days, and occasional circuits. Don't believe I'll ever do auto-x. Where I live isn't too big on anything but drag racing, sadly, so trips out to places like Leguna Seca would be pretty ****ing rare.
You sound like a great candidate for auto But no one can **** with your personal preference imo. Get what makes you feel good, just know what you're getting yourself into. I didn't.