Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 05-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #57
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Welcome to this versus section, Ecoswag.

Ford's turbo cars seem to be slightly underperforming stock.. Maybe they're just too heavy.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #58
ecoswag1990

Drives: 2015 Mustang EB Performance Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Welcome to this versus section, Ecoswag.

Ford's turbo cars seem to be slightly underperforming stock.. Maybe they're just too heavy.
They're under performing based on what?

From what I hear they are doing very well in autox and for drag times I'm seeing high 13s consistently from stock cars in the 1/4
Ford Racing Catback
ecoswag1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:47 AM   #59
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
I think it's to early to assume anything about the LT1 fuel economy in the Camaro.

The industry trend as a whole is moving away from V8 powerplants and are moving to boosted 6's.

Beyond low production, >5,000 a year, it's going to be increasingly harder to get a V8 past 2025. In fact it wouldn't shock me if by 2025 the only GM product you will find a V8 in is the Corvette, and even then in HiPo versions.

Real world fuel economy means nothing at all to CAFE, it's all test cell numbers.
Then why are you saying that V8's are gone because TTv6's get better gas mileage? You should practice what you're preaching! Real world mileage also goes to the NA cars over boosted cars, so you're incorrect on both accounts.

GM said the LT-1 got better mileage than a TTV6 in the C7. The C7 is also rated for 5mpg more than the ATS-V, but it does weigh 3-400lbs more.

Don't forget that boosted cars run at a richer AFR when you are in PE over a NA. Typically it's around 11.5 for boosted, 12.7 for NA

v8's getting worse mileage over a similar power TTV6 is only incorrect peoples assumptions.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:54 AM   #60
IOMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoswag1990 View Post
They're under performing based on what?

From what I hear they are doing very well in autox and for drag times I'm seeing high 13s consistently from stock cars in the 1/4
High 13's is a disappointment for the mid line Mustang 2.3 EB. People were expecting more.

Stock for stock, the V6 gen6 will work a EB Mustang. Modded...who cares, you can mod any car, including the base 4 cyl turbo Camaro.

The average consumer will see a faster v6 vs a slower 4 cylinder.

Ford better be working on some upgrades, that 2.3T needs to be the base engine or they're going to be in 2nd place for another 5 years.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #61
ecoswag1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
High 13's is a disappointment for the mid line Mustang 2.3 EB. People were expecting more.

Stock for stock, the V6 gen6 will work a EB Mustang. Modded...who cares, you can mod any car, including the base 4 cyl turbo Camaro.

The average consumer will see a faster v6 vs a slower 4 cylinder.

Ford better be working on some upgrades, that 2.3T needs to be the base engine or they're going to be in 2nd place for another 5 years.
Yes you can mod any car but you will not put $400 into a V6 and get the numbers you would with a 4cyl turbo. The EB was never intended to be a mid line engine the V6 was originally going to be dropped from the line up but they kept it for fleet sales.

Absolutely nobody was expecting better than high 13s from a stock 4cyl turbo. And I assume you must be talking about a gen 6 camaro vs a stock EB mustang, in that case I would give the edge to the camaro in the 1/4. V6 mustang vs EB mustang it has been well established on m6g that the V6 loses
Ford Racing Catback
Old 05-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #62
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Then why are you saying that V8's are gone because TTv6's get better gas mileage? You should practice what you're preaching! Real world mileage also goes to the NA cars over boosted cars, so you're incorrect on both accounts.

GM said the LT-1 got better mileage than a TTV6 in the C7. The C7 is also rated for 5mpg more than the ATS-V, but it does weigh 3-400lbs more.

Don't forget that boosted cars run at a richer AFR when you are in PE over a NA. Typically it's around 11.5 for boosted, 12.7 for NA

v8's getting worse mileage over a similar power TTV6 is only incorrect peoples assumptions.

I didn't say that V8's were gone, I'm saying you're going to see them replaced with TTV6'S in the next 10 years in most applications.

To increase fuel economy in cars with V8's you're going to need more transmission gears, lighter cars, more power assists, all that costs money.

I think, in the next 10 years, you're going to see more TTV6's, boosted smaller 6's, small turbo diesels occupy spots luke the 5.3 and 6.2 fills currently.

Performance 8 cylinder cars are a enthusiast market, and I fully expect that market to get more expensiveP
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #63
IOMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoswag1990 View Post
Yes you can mod any car but you will not put $400 into a V6 and get the numbers you would with a 4cyl turbo. The EB was never intended to be a mid line engine the V6 was originally going to be dropped from the line up but they kept it for fleet sales.

Absolutely nobody was expecting better than high 13s from a stock 4cyl turbo. And I assume you must be talking about a gen 6 camaro vs a stock EB mustang, in that case I would give the edge to the camaro in the 1/4. V6 mustang vs EB mustang it has been well established on m6g that the V6 loses
The gains will be larger on turbo cars with mods, but modded throws all arguments out the window. You can make a modded v6 Camaro from 2000 do 11's if you really want to. It's irrelevant.

I'm not even sure if the 2.3 EB Mustang will be faster than the 2.0T Camaro. Sure the Mustang has more power / tq, but the Camaro has less weight and a 8 speed auto. ATS, with a 6 speed, IIRC, pulls the same 1/4 mile times or very similar to the 2.3 Mustang.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #64
ecoswag1990

Quote:
The gains will be larger on turbo cars with mods, but modded throws all arguments out the window. You can make a modded v6 Camaro from 2000 do 11's if you really want to. It's irrelevant.

I'm not even sure if the 2.3 EB Mustang will be faster than the 2.0T Camaro. Sure the Mustang has more power / tq, but the Camaro has less weight and a 8 speed auto. ATS, with a 6 speed, IIRC, pulls the same 1/4 mile times or very similar to the 2.3 Mustang.
The whole point is that you can do it cheaply and easily with the turbo 4. Someone can spend not a dollar more than $400 for a good tune and have low 13s easy out of a bone stock EB. Throw in an intake and maybe a downpipe and 12s are easy. The same simply cannot be said for a V6 and we are not talking about cars from 2011 so idk why that was thrown in.

The EB will kill the 2.0 camaro stock for stock. I'm not even going to debate that. The base EB weighs 3,530lbs, the camaro is not going to have a significant weight advantage over that

But as I said, I would give it to the V6 Camaro over the stock EB
Ford Racing Catback
Old 05-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #65
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
You guys realize the potential power to weight ratio of the turbo 4 is almost the same if not better than a lt1 4th gen. Excluding the ss/ram air cars. Full Bolton's and a tune will run 12's with ease and probably still hit 30mpg on the highway.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #66
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
If I get a turbo 4 I'm sticking with an RS, R or STI, you get AWD, more practicality, more power stock, and less weight than a Camaro or Mustang (for more cost granted).

I understand the CAFE reasons for doing so but if you are going to have a heavyish car you may as well go with an 8.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #67
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tinkerer View Post
I really like this idea!
Sometimes I feel like my genius is under appreciated... Thank you... LoL

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #68
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Why would anybody interested in quarter-mile times purchase a V6 or t4 in the first place. Those trims are intended for the daily driving/commuter crowd. I know a lot of people looking to take their cars to the track/strip settle for them based on financial considerations, but I don't see why someone would purposely buy one if the v8 option was available to them.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #69
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Ford wants to get rid of the V6 so I wouldn't expect them to upgrade it. They are pushing the EcoBoost. If anything, they will upgrade the T4 to compete with the LGX in the Camaro.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #70
ecoswag1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
Why would anybody interested in quarter-mile times purchase a V6 or t4 in the first place. Those trims are intended for the daily driving/commuter crowd. I know a lot of people looking to take their cars to the track/strip settle for them based on financial considerations, but I don't see why someone would purposely buy one if the v8 option was available to them.
That's not the point. 1/4 mile times just give a good indication of how the car is going to feel in daily driving conditions powerwise
Ford Racing Catback